• Supporting Member

Is it true that the Niken fuel gauge needle seems to not reflect an accurate reduction in fuel level?

According to specs, Niken GT fuel capacity is supposedly 4.8 gallons / 18.17 L. Assuming 35 MPG with a full tank then:

a. At a 25% of the tank being used  should be reflected after 42 miles,

b at 50% tank consumed should be  reflected at about 84 miles  and

c. At 75% tank consumed should be reflected at about 126 miles. 

d. At empty should be at about 168 miles (4.8 gallons x 35mpg). 

If assuming 45 MPG, then:

a 25% of the tank being used  should be reflected after 54 miles,

b at 50% tank consumed should be  reflected at about 108 miles  

c. At 75% tank consumed should be reflected at about 162 miles. 

d. At empty, theoretical range should be at about 216 miles (4.8 gallons x 45 mpg). 

What is everyone generally seeing at 25\50\75\100% of tank consumption? Hopefully no one has had to test the 100% fuel scenario...

Also are the Tracer fuel gauges inaccurate as well?

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

I assume if set up like the Tracer the Gauge will not come off full till reaching the 1/2 tank stay their till 1/4 tank then show remaining when reaching low levels. Sounds odd but OK once you get used to it.    Mike

Edited by GTO MIKE
missing letter
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

On my 2017 the same. Full indicated until half a tank, no change till a 1/4 of a tank.  When it started flashing at me I got 20 miles at about 50mpg. Promptly  added 4.4 gallons and wiped the sweat from my brow.

• Haha 1

Its not a matter of the gauge being inaccurate, it is due to the shape of the tank... the attached image is referring to a FZ-09 but the concept is the same.

SmartSelect_20210226-165058_Facebook.thumb.jpg.85d2190f51a7c57823e482312bbe5452.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member

After the first few tanks of fuel, you learn to ignore the fuel gauge and rely on the trip meter instead. 

Depending on your right wrist, you start paying closer attention to upcoming fuel stations somewhere between 160 and 180 miles.

• Thumbsup 6

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

After the first few tanks of fuel, you learn to ignore the fuel gauge and rely on the trip meter instead. 

Depending on your right wrist, you start paying closer attention to upcoming fuel stations somewhere between 160 and 180 miles.

For the OP - And if you use your trip meter for multiple trips and are unsure of your total mileage at any point then just reserve and utilise the 'spare' trip meter to monitor full to empty tanks.  i.e., reset trip meter number two every time you fill up.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 6/1/2021 at 10:21 PM, duhs10 said:

Its not a matter of the gauge being inaccurate, it is due to the shape of the tank... the attached image is referring to a FZ-09 but the concept is the same.

SmartSelect_20210226-165058_Facebook.thumb.jpg.85d2190f51a7c57823e482312bbe5452.jpg

That explains a lot actually. Thanks for posting.  This explains why the Nikens have a digital fuel display that displays fuel in proportional segments like the Tracer.  So technically the  Fuel level level display is accurate, it's just the RATE of fuel needle drop over time isn't linear and that is what  throws everybody off. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

This suggests  that the Nikens should probably  have a digital fuel display that displays fuel in proportional segments like the Tracer.

Yes, the Niken, FJ09 and Tracer GT all read the same, 5 segments with the first larger segment indicating about half a tank..

2018-Yamaha-MT-09-Tracer-900GT-55578.jpgAAA8657.JPG?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

2019-Yamaha-Niken-GT-20

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Yes, the Niken, FJ09 and Tracer GT all read the same, 5 segments with the first larger segment indicating about half a tank..

2018-Yamaha-MT-09-Tracer-900GT-55578.jpgAAA8657.JPG?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

2019-Yamaha-Niken-GT-20

Thanks for the clarification - all this time I never noticed the first fuel bar being bigger than the rest. I just thought that was done  for better legibility purposes in the instrumentation...

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

From the service manual, 4.0L / 1.08 US gallons in the fuel reserve ( when the fuel light comes on). 

92ABA778-D618-45FB-B7F2-24D843FFEE94.thumb.png.3d8b095b1977ea0bc3c950e9b4687cde.png

2019 Niken GT