Oil filter magnets

Potentially a can vs worms argument starter but...

I’ve never heard of doughnut oil filter magnets and will try one on my next oil change.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I hadn't either until I watched hat video yesterday. I did (or do) run large magnets on the bottom of the oil filters themselves. Same principle, trap the nastiness at the bottom of the filter. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member

I have used the drain plug magnets for decades and always amazed at how much black material, like shown in the video, is stuck to them at each oil change.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I’ve seen them catch big nuggets of metal before they destroy other components. Definitely not unnecessary.

The sump magnets always catch a nice amount of swarf and metal paste. I’d rather have it stuck there than potentially floating around in oil.

• Thumbsup 1

Lots of arguments either way but its a fact that oil filters do not catch all particles on the first pass.  I see a magnet as a very cheap bit of extra insurance against engine problems and, for motorcycle engines where gearbox shares the oil, it can only be a good thing.  The gearbox is really the only part of the engine with significant amounts of steel so I wouldn't say it's of any benefit on an engine with separate oil for engine/gearbox.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I use a magnetic drain plug and 3 large very powerful curved magnets at 120° apart on the filter on all my 4strokes with spin on metal filters.  Always have to clean off that black ferrous metal "paste" at oil changes (which I now do cold based on a test in RRW), so they do attract stuff the filter does not.  Anyway, what can they hurt for such a little one time cost?