Tracer 9 GT Problem

BVEBRAD

I had this exact same issue on my 2020 tracer 900 GT. It happened during a road trip and I had to drive 2500km home with a throttle that stopped working at random times, it wasnt pleasant. 

The dealership replaced what needed to be replaced and its fine since then.

I think this is an issue that all tracer's have had, not sure how common but.. it definitely happened to others.

I was very mad and disappointed because it ruined my summer trip and this was a new motorcycle.. I wanted to sell it when i got back home but decided not to, as this can happen with any brand.. it just is what it is, move on and pray im trouble free during my next road trips.

One things for sure, if i got issues that 'ruin' my next trip its definitely getting sold.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 12:10 PM, Kevin30 said:

I had this exact same issue on my 2020 tracer 900 GT. It happened during a road trip and I had to drive 2500km home with a throttle that stopped working at random times, it wasnt pleasant. 

The dealership replaced what needed to be replaced and its fine since then.

I think this is an issue that all tracer's have had, not sure how common but.. it definitely happened to others.

I was very mad and disappointed because it ruined my summer trip and this was a new motorcycle.. I wanted to sell it when i got back home but decided not to, as this can happen with any brand.. it just is what it is, move on and pray im trouble free during my next road trips.

One things for sure, if i got issues that 'ruin' my next trip its definitely getting sold.

I feel your pain buddy.  I'm keeping my fingers that my parts will finally be here by this Friday, the 19th.  Apparently it's a bad time to need parts, especially throttle body assemblies.

Brad
Selbyville, DE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am previous owner of a Tracer 2017 and an actual owner of a Tracer 9 GT with 300km on the speedometer located in Greece. Unfortunately I faced already the issue you described above. Trying to find out why, I discovered that it took place when I used downshift with quick shifter, at least this is my feeling. And although I am not sure, I think in low rpm. I think around 2500. I saw also that issue has been reported in France in Tracer 9 GT and MT09SP. Has it been solved for you?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 21 Tracer, I have now experienced the issue twice.  Second day I owned it and now at 1000 miles.  It seems to happen when slowing down in a higher gear.  I was in 4th gear and lost the throttle.  I roll to the road side with engine light on.  I check the bike over and it starts without problem and returns to normal function.  Yamaha shop has hooked it up to machine and get three error codes.  One related to throttle, one to idle and one to kickstand error.  They talked to Yamaha corp the first time and Yamaha said they hadn’t heard of that error.  This second time headquarters was closed so they are calling on Tuesday.  Looks like throttle body replacement is the fix?

On 8/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, BVEBRAD said:

Two days ago I'm out for a ride on my Tracer 9 GT.  All of a sudden the throttle just stopped responding and the engine light comes on.  I drifted to the side of the road and immediately checked the oil.  No problem there.  I started the bike but the check engine light was still on.  I was able to ride about 100 yards and once again no throttle response.  It was a Monday so I was unable to reach the dealer, they were closed.  Luckily I was right by an old used car lot/garage who let me push the bike into their work bay until I could get it towed to the dealer the next day.  They came and picked her up now I'm waiting to hear what is wrong.  It should be noted that the week before they had the bike for its first service.  She has less than 2k miles on her.  I'm fairly certain the problem lies with all the electronics associated with the bike.  Anybody else experience similar issues?

Update, got the bike back after almost 2 weeks.  They found a total of 3 error codes, P0638 (TPS related) 243 (ISC valve)and 245 (engine stall).  The following is a quote from the dealer, "tightened female blade connection for the SCU fuse and inspected all other fuses.  Tested throttle servo motor, tested wire harness between ECU and servo motor.  Checked all associated connectors by unplugging and then making sure they were properly seated once plugged back in." 

The Yamaha Tech line says this could be an "anomaly" associated with the throttle position and use of the quick shifter and is unlikely to occur again.

So there you have it, fingers crossed.

Update 2,

Well she's headed back to the dealer again for the same issue, a dead throttle.  I picked her up last Friday and she failed me once again on Tuesday.  I'm pretty disappointed in Yamaha right now.  I no longer trust this bike and will looking for a new one before it gets me hurt.

The dealer has been in contact with Yamaha.  The plan is to replace the throttle bodies once they can obtain the parts.  I will be getting loaner from the dealer once again.

01/10/2022 - Update 3,

Still no bike since mid-August 2021.  The parts were supposed to be here last week but were delayed due to weather.  I'm hoping to have the bike back by next week.  My dealer, Diamond Motor Sports in Dover Delaware has been great.  Yamaha's customer service has simply sucked.  Stay turned!

Did you get the problem fixed?

Although i am not a mechanic (and the motorcycle is brand new with around 800 km on speedometer), in my eyes issue like a software one..... I might be totally wrong  but this is the "way" that issue came up:

• Around 200km on the speedometer. Excellent performance with no issue from her.
  • I needed to disconnect the battery. After this disconnection, issue came up. Every day for at least two times per day while using quick-shifter for downshift in low rpm (NOT LOWER THAN 2200 rpm but close to 2500 - 3300).
  • This hold for around 100 - 150 km.
  • When issue came up I had no throttle and the check engine light up with error code P0638
  • I thought to make a reset via menu & in addition to switch off and switch on the quick-shifter via menu also. I took this action in order to make sure that after battery disconnection ECU "understand" the actual status of quick-shifter. Stupid or not this is what i did just in case. From my understanding this should not be the case but you never know. 
  • Up to this date i have another 400km with no issue at all. Tested with gear changes w/o QS, w/ QS, down shift & upshift, in any rpm.

It might be just a matter of lack or the issue might come up again. All the above might be totally irrelevant with the problem. I really do not know. But, I am almost confident that has nothing to do with real hardware failure. Sounds tome like sw error.

Keep you updated .

On 1/9/2022 at 4:09 PM, Holderfjr said:

I have a 21 Tracer, I have now experienced the issue twice.  Second day I owned it and now at 1000 miles.  It seems to happen when slowing down in a higher gear.  I was in 4th gear and lost the throttle.  I roll to the road side with engine light on.  I check the bike over and it starts without problem and returns to normal function.  Yamaha shop has hooked it up to machine and get three error codes.  One related to throttle, one to idle and one to kickstand error.  They talked to Yamaha corp the first time and Yamaha said they hadn’t heard of that error.  This second time headquarters was closed so they are calling on Tuesday.  Looks like throttle body replacement is the fix?

Yamaha said to check wiring and fuses.  If they are okay, they will replace throttle bodies, if and when they get the parts.

On 9/23/2021 at 1:17 PM, BVEBRAD said:

Hey Jonathan, sorry to hear about your issues.  Looks like we're facing the exact same problems as I was also unable to access the settings menu once the problem occurred.  My bike is in the dealer with unfortunately no parts available to fix it.  I was told I'm looking at mid to late October at the earliest for the parts to come from Japan.  The Yamaha Tech Line advised my dealer to replace the throttle bodies.  You should call Yamaha and bitch them out but unfortunately it will do you no good.  They have no regard for customer service.  I tried to get the parts shipped in the quickest manner possible but they basically said screw you.  Please let me know whatever you find out.  Good luck!

Is this really Yamaha providing bad customer service, or is it just unrealistic to try to get the parts right now due to the COVID production blip?  I guess I've found Yamaha pretty helpful through a couple of minor recalls over the years.  

Of the four, big Japanese firms, which one would you consider the best for providing customer support and warranty?  

Edited by Jayzonk

12 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Of the four, big Japanese firms, which one would you consider the best for providing customer support and warranty?  

Biased opinion- owned two Kawasakis, one Honda, one Yamaha+ Ex's bike in garage. I'd give it to Kawasaki historically : when my 1500's cam chain ate thru the spark plug tubes, they were Johnny on the spot in getting the engine rebuilt.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:13 PM, Holderfjr said:

Yamaha said to check wiring and fuses.  If they are okay, they will replace throttle bodies, if and when they get the parts.

Wiring and fuses checked out.  They are ordering a throttle body but no ship date.  They said there has been a problem with a valve in the throttle body.

I wish you all the best but keep your horses back. I do not know if this will be the solution to your problem. Generally it seems that all Yamaha repair centers just following the direction from service manual which provide step by step solution diagram, based om the error code.

Above I provide a link from France. Yesterday night I had a look and it seems that even throttle body replaced, issue has not been solved (based on google translator).

It seems to be a problem that affect day by day more owners of GT version. In the French link, there is a vote if your motorcycle if affected or not. So far, if I recall well, it is around 40% of owners affected with this issue.

I really hope that your issue will be solved. Otherwise we only need to wait about official announcement / recall from Yamaha, if any 😟

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, BVEBRAD said:

Two days ago I'm out for a ride on my Tracer 9 GT.  All of a sudden the throttle just stopped responding and the engine light comes on.  I drifted to the side of the road and immediately checked the oil.  No problem there.  I started the bike but the check engine light was still on.  I was able to ride about 100 yards and once again no throttle response.  It was a Monday so I was unable to reach the dealer, they were closed.  Luckily I was right by an old used car lot/garage who let me push the bike into their work bay until I could get it towed to the dealer the next day.  They came and picked her up now I'm waiting to hear what is wrong.  It should be noted that the week before they had the bike for its first service.  She has less than 2k miles on her.  I'm fairly certain the problem lies with all the electronics associated with the bike.  Anybody else experience similar issues?

Update, got the bike back after almost 2 weeks.  They found a total of 3 error codes, P0638 (TPS related) 243 (ISC valve)and 245 (engine stall).  The following is a quote from the dealer, "tightened female blade connection for the SCU fuse and inspected all other fuses.  Tested throttle servo motor, tested wire harness between ECU and servo motor.  Checked all associated connectors by unplugging and then making sure they were properly seated once plugged back in." 

The Yamaha Tech line says this could be an "anomaly" associated with the throttle position and use of the quick shifter and is unlikely to occur again.

So there you have it, fingers crossed.

Update 2,

Well she's headed back to the dealer again for the same issue, a dead throttle.  I picked her up last Friday and she failed me once again on Tuesday.  I'm pretty disappointed in Yamaha right now.  I no longer trust this bike and will looking for a new one before it gets me hurt.

The dealer has been in contact with Yamaha.  The plan is to replace the throttle bodies once they can obtain the parts.  I will be getting loaner from the dealer once again.

01/10/2022 - Update 3,

Still no bike since mid-August 2021.  The parts were supposed to be here last week but were delayed due to weather.  I'm hoping to have the bike back by next week.  My dealer, Diamond Motor Sports in Dover Delaware has been great.  Yamaha's customer service has simply sucked.  Stay turned!

Update 4

Well I'm happy to say that my bike has been fixed.  Got the call on Jan 14, 2021 that the new throttle bodies had been installed and the bike was ridden 170 miles with no issues.  I'm currently in Florida for a month or so so I haven't picked her up yet.  If the weather in Delaware were better I would be heading north to go get her but the weather up there sucks so I'll wait.  I can't wait to see how she's running.

• Thumbsup 1
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Supporting Member

@BVEBRAD - glad to hear the issue is resolved but as they say "only time will tell".  Its discouraging to think the new model has this issue but hopefully it is indeed fixed for good. 

If the throttle bodies were faulty, has Yamaha used the same part as a warranty replacement or has the part been revised and superseded?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***