Tracer 9 GT Problem

BVEBRAD

Two days ago I'm out for a ride on my Tracer 9 GT.  All of a sudden the throttle just stopped responding and the engine light comes on.  I drifted to the side of the road and immediately checked the oil.  No problem there.  I started the bike but the check engine light was still on.  I was able to ride about 100 yards and once again no throttle response.  It was a Monday so I was unable to reach the dealer, they were closed.  Luckily I was right by an old used car lot/garage who let me push the bike into their work bay until I could get it towed to the dealer the next day.  They came and picked her up now I'm waiting to hear what is wrong.  It should be noted that the week before they had the bike for its first service.  She has less than 2k miles on her.  I'm fairly certain the problem lies with all the electronics associated with the bike.  Anybody else experience similar issues?

Update, got the bike back after almost 2 weeks.  They found a total of 3 error codes, P0638 (TPS related) 243 (ISC valve)and 245 (engine stall).  The following is a quote from the dealer, "tightened female blade connection for the SCU fuse and inspected all other fuses.  Tested throttle servo motor, tested wire harness between ECU and servo motor.  Checked all associated connectors by unplugging and then making sure they were properly seated once plugged back in." 

The Yamaha Tech line says this could be an "anomaly" associated with the throttle position and use of the quick shifter and is unlikely to occur again.

So there you have it, fingers crossed.

Update 2,

Well she's headed back to the dealer again for the same issue, a dead throttle.  I picked her up last Friday and she failed me once again on Tuesday.  I'm pretty disappointed in Yamaha right now.  I no longer trust this bike and will looking for a new one before it gets me hurt.

The dealer has been in contact with Yamaha.  The plan is to replace the throttle bodies once they can obtain the parts.  I will be getting loaner from the dealer once again.

01/10/2022 - Update 3,

Still no bike since mid-August 2021.  The parts were supposed to be here last week but were delayed due to weather.  I'm hoping to have the bike back by next week.  My dealer, Diamond Motor Sports in Dover Delaware has been great.  Yamaha's customer service has simply sucked.  Stay turned!

02/22/22 - Final Update

I finally picked my bike up today.  I had forgotten how great this bike really is.  I thoroughly enjoyed my ride home.  To compensate me for my troubles Yamaha issued me a $250 credit to be used through the dealer.  Now the wait begins for the accessories to become available, the heated touring seat in particular.  I will be ordering my 24" Madstad any day.  Hopefully the replacement throttle bodies resolved the problem.  If not you will be hearing about it.  Thanks for all the input.

Edited by BVEBRAD
Updated info.
  • Sad 4
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Supporting Member

Dang, that sucks!  Hopefully it's just something silly and easily remedied.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

3 hours ago, BVEBRAD said:

I was able to ride about 100 yards and once again no throttle response

Do motorbikes have a "limp mode" like cars do?

My bet is that it'll be some computer glitch or a sensor glitch that's causing the shutdown.

• Supporting Member

Hi @BVEBRAD - Sorry to hear about the problem with your new T9.  That sounds like the same symptoms the earlier Tracers would have if the ETV fuse was blown… it’s what powers the ‘ride-by-wire’ throttle controls.   I don’t know if the new T9 uses the same system, so will be very interested in hearing what the solution is for you.   

Good luck, and hopefully it’s a quick fix. 

I had the exact same issue on my 2020 tracer 900gt. zero throttle response and my idle of the engine was at 600-800. It happened during a roadtrip so i was 3000km from home. The issue would happen sometimes (when turning the ignition switch) I managed to get it home.

Had it fixed at my dealer where I bought it from and he said it (sorry if i explain it bad english is not my native language) but when u turn your ignition switch, your motorcycle does several tests. My throttle would sometimes not pass that test because the values were off. They adjusted the throttle and it hasnt happened since. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  Right now I'm waiting for the dealer to get the proper dongle to read the error codes from the ECU.  They told me they misplaced the one they had.  Supposedly they'll have it by Tuesday then I'll know more.  What you described sounds very familiar.

Brad
Selbyville, DE

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday this exact thing happened to me on my month old 9 GT. I was going down a 25% decline in Nidderdale when all of a sudden, I lost my throttle. I got to the bottom of the hill and switched off. I switched it on again after about 5 minutes and the throttle came back. After a few miles the engine management light came on. 

When I next stopped, the menu (settings cog) button failed to respond. 

This morning I rang the dealer and told them I was bringing it in. They said they have never heard of anything like this before. Needless to say on arrival at dealer, no engine management light and no issue with the menus. They said they will still investigate. 

I love the bike and find it very comfortable but I'm scared now... what if it had happened going up the hill or mid-overtake... both potentially fatal?!? 

Edited by JonathanD
Adding bike model

• Premium Member

Wow, very scary stuff!

Makes me appreciate even more my old tech 15.

My 98 Honda VTR1000F Superhawk (Firestorm) when riding usually in heavy rain would sometimes suddenly sputter to a stop.  Again, very scary especially in the rain.  Traced it to the fuel tank breather hose being drowned so it couldn't breath.  Raising it did not help so I added an inline secondary breather with integral check valve near the inlet under the tank.  Seemed to solve the problem but to this day I'm not really sure and avoid riding it in the rain.  I'm also not sure if the side stand switch getting wet had something to do with it but know for sure the breather was the issue.  Coming back from Indy after the first MotorGp race there, during a cataclysmic rain event, I rode with my spare key in the gas cap, and when it'd start to choke I'd open the cap while still rolling, and it'd start back up!

I'm very interested in what you guy find it but now I'm going to look a used S1000SX for my next steed...

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, JonathanD said:

Yesterday this exact thing happened to me on my month old 9 GT. I was going down a 25% decline in Nidderdale when all of a sudden, I lost my throttle. I got to the bottom of the hill and switched off. I switched it on again after about 5 minutes and the throttle came back. After a few miles the engine management light came on. 

When I next stopped, the menu (settings cog) button failed to respond. 

This morning I rang the dealer and told them I was bringing it in. They said they have never heard of anything like this before. Needless to say on arrival at dealer, no engine management light and no issue with the menus. They said they will still investigate. 

I love the bike and find it very comfortable but I'm scared now... what if it had happened going up the hill or mid-overtake... both potentially fatal?!? 

Hey Jonathan, sorry to hear about your issues.  Looks like we're facing the exact same problems as I was also unable to access the settings menu once the problem occurred.  My bike is in the dealer with unfortunately no parts available to fix it.  I was told I'm looking at mid to late October at the earliest for the parts to come from Japan.  The Yamaha Tech Line advised my dealer to replace the throttle bodies.  You should call Yamaha and bitch them out but unfortunately it will do you no good.  They have no regard for customer service.  I tried to get the parts shipped in the quickest manner possible but they basically said screw you.  Please let me know whatever you find out.  Good luck!

• Sad 2
Brad
Selbyville, DE

On 8/18/2021 at 1:48 PM, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

I have about 1600 miles on mine and did the 600 and 1000 mile services myself. No problems here. Keep us posted.

The tracer has a service due at 600 and 1000 miles?  That seems crazy.  I'm actually looking at getting a tracer for my next bike, interestingly, my local dealer says they can't get me one now and I'll have to wait for the 22s.

20 hours ago, zvezdah1 said:

The tracer has a service due at 600 and 1000 miles?  That seems crazy.  I'm actually looking at getting a tracer for my next bike, interestingly, my local dealer says they can't get me one now and I'll have to wait for the 22s.

Nah, the long maintenance intervals are yet another reason I went with a tracer. I have 6k miles on mine and have done 3 oil changes......that is it.

• Thumbsup 1

Hi Bvebrad

I had the same issue a few months ago (no throttle). The dealer changed the throttle bodies under warranty.

The problem seems to be solved after 3000 km done after the repair. I had this issue happen about 6 or 7 time between 1600 to 3600 km. I had to wait 2 1/2 months for the part to arrive. i now have 6600 km and no problems  yet.🤞

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fire33 said:

Hi Bvebrad

I had the same issue a few months ago (no throttle). The dealer changed the throttle bodies under warranty.

The problem seems to be solved after 3000 km done after the repair. I had this issue happen about 6 or 7 time between 1600 to 3600 km. I had to wait 2 1/2 months for the part to arrive. i now have 6600 km and no problems  yet.🤞

Hey there fire33,

First of all thanks for letting me know, your reply is greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to hear that replacing the throttle bodies has seemed to cure the problem.  That's the parts the dealer was told to order by Yamaha, the parts I'm waiting for.  It's gonna be a long 2 months.  Luckily my dealer has lent me my old 2015 FJ09.

You are now the third bike experiencing this problem.  Makes me wonder how many more might be.  It will be interesting to see if this becomes a recall.

Thanks again!

• Thumbsup 2
Brad
Selbyville, DE