• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unsettling Side wind....

Greetings,

I have been motorcycling for about a years now, I'mm and in relatively good shape.  I am indeed a cautious middle aged man -- think "dad".  I purchased the Tracer 900 GT about 6 months ago and ride it in town frequently.  Recently, I had the pleasure of riding from Wichita, Kansas (home) to Eureka Springs, Arkansas for a weekend of riding the twisties in the mountains.  Kansas is rather windy, and rather flat.  Actually, it is extremely windy and not a flat as many might think.  Riding there and back there, we frequently had a strong, gusty side wind.  I found it to be most disconcerting.  On two lane 65 MPH roads, I was at times very scared.  Interestingly, however, when I looked at some GoPro footage that I took, my position in the lane was rather stable.  I FELT, however, that I was being blown all over the place.  My friend (much more experienced) on his FJR seemed unaffected by the wind -- other than having to slow down every now and then to let me catch up.  Winds were 15-20 with moderate gusts.  (Wind can be 30 MPH with MAJOR gusts here -- I would not ride in those conditions -- I know of tragic outcomes when riders were hit by major gusts and blown off the road)

I wonder -- does a large screen make the side wind effect worse?  Is this something that one needs to just learn to deal with and manage?  Is a light sport/cruiser like the Tracer 900 GT prone to be affected more?  Do the big HD and Honda GW drivers get the same sensation?

I am thinking of getting a tank pad so  I can lower/rest my thorax on it  to lower my front profile the next time we venture across the unprotected, windy plain.

Here is a link to a GoPro video of the conditions.  

I was just wondering.  Any input appreciated!  

Best regards,

Curt M

Weight and cross section, plain and simple.

Our bikes are tall and relatively light.
An 800 lb cruiser will just have more mass to be tossed and generally have more surface area lower.

I got battered by crosswinds on I-10 in SCal on a HD Street Glide.  The extra 250 pounds of bike helped keep the HOG centered but it was sketchy due to the bar mounted fairing (batwing).

My 2012 FZ-1 was easily blown about by cross winds and you just get used to it and lean a bit into the wind.  Come to think of it all my bikes acted the same in cross winds.

• Thumbsup 1

I crossed Kansas east and west three weeks ago on my Super Tenere and the side winds were ferocious in the middle of the state.  The wind was blowing so hard from the south and hot (105 degrees) on the way back that my bike was running around 220 degrees due to the radiator intake not getting any air.  We later experienced a severe storm in Hays, KS and my bike was blown over.  It was a tough ride on the S10 and would have been worse on my Tracer GT due to the reasons stated in above posts.  Other than riding loose and with the wind, there isn’t much you can do about it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I've ridden the FJ across Kansas, Texas, and many other windy places. Going to a bigger screen didn't make a difference.

By the way speaking of the wind in Kansas, its bad enough that they should change their state motto to "Kansas, It blows"

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

Let’s go Brandon

Thanks for the replies!   I really enjoy these road trips I have been taking -- except the wind.  I would like to take more!   I posted, somewhat wondering, if I should pick up a goldwing or Yamaha Star Venture etc.  to get me through the winds of the plains.  Sounds like I probably should just continue to ride more and get used to it.  It sounds like all bikes will have their issues?

It is like living in a blast furnace here in the summer.  I'm from Northern Ohio originally.  Oh -- how nice and calm it is there....hardwood trees, little wind.....I never appreciated it until I moved here.  (I am not ragging on Kansas.  I actually like living here, wind aside.  Wasn't really such an issue until I bought a motorcycle.)

And WhisperQuiet -- driving through Hays -- wow!  Now that can be WIND!  Crazy wind.  Driving through there one frequently has the car steering wheel turned 45 degrees towards the wind...and tumbleweeds WHACK the car.  I once got hit with a gust of wind in my large stable car -- I thought I had hit something.  Came out of nowhere.  BAM! I think it would have blown any motorcycle off course.   I see motorcycles on i70 and I I'm in sometimes in awe that they can ride it. 

I am trying my Shorty windshield today in the wind to see which screen length feels better for me.  One thing I find -- I will take strong laminar wind rather than less strong turbulent flow any day.  

Thank you and best regards from Kansas -- It Blows.  Haha.

Edited by Curt_from_Kansas
typo
  • Thumbsup 2

There is a wind threat for every vehicle if the driver persists. I have seen an 18-wheeler blow over in a wind gust as well, and it was not in flat open Kansas. Heavier bikes with similar people will do better than light bikes with skinny people, especially in cross winds. You just have to get to know your bike and its limitations an watch the forecast, especially for gusting winds (steady winds is not so bad). All part of smart motorcycling.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Well, my bike is light..me....not as skinny as I used to be!  I agree with what you say wholeheartedly.  That is what I am trying to figure out.  How much of of my discomfort arising in these conditions is naiveté and how much is warranted.

I, however, slow down to a speed I felt better at -- which ws 55 MPH at some parts.  Luckily, on these back KS roads, they are somewhat empty and other drivers are pretty mellow.

Curt M

1 hour ago, Curt_from_Kansas said:

Well, my bike is light..me....not as skinny as I used to be!  I agree with what you say wholeheartedly.  That is what I am trying to figure out.  How much of of my discomfort arising in these conditions is naiveté and how much is warranted.

I, however, slow down to a speed I felt better at -- which ws 55 MPH at some parts.  Luckily, on these back KS roads, they are somewhat empty and other drivers are pretty mellow.

Curt M

I have ridden across Kansas numerous times where it was so windy that I couldn’t ride at the posted 75 mph speed limit on I 70.