I sold my Tracer 900 2019...

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, sandman900 said:

2020 model: I definitely have 6th gear highway whine, but when it comes on I simply adjust my speed above or below that rev range.

To you or anyone else that has the gear whine noise, what speed or rpm does it happen?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I definitely had gear whine on my 2015 in 6th gear, IIRC it is the only straight cut gear on the bike. 1-5 are slanted. I will say I think it got better over time as I owned the bike.

6 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

I definitely had gear whine on my 2015 in 6th gear, IIRC it is the only straight cut gear on the bike. 1-5 are slanted. I will say I think it got better over time as I owned the bike.

All gears on the Tracer, and for that matter nearly all bikes ever made are straight cut.

Mine is really bad in third and sixth, but also audible in fifth.

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

All gears on the Tracer,

Ok, so I whipped out my service manual for the 2015 model and it appears you are right and I shouldn't listen to random internet people who probably spend more time on forums arguing about oil weights than actually riding or working on their bikes.

45 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

and for that matter nearly all bikes ever made are straight cut.

That's a statement I take issue with though, Victory motorcycles past after 2010 used helical cut gears as well as Indian motorcycles. Harley Davidson has used helical cut gears since the introduction of the 6-speed Twin-cam 96.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jthayer09 said:

Ok, so I whipped out my service manual for the 2015 model and it appears you are right and I shouldn't listen to random internet people who probably spend more time on forums arguing about oil weights than actually riding or working on their bikes.

That's a statement I take issue with though, Victory motorcycles past after 2010 used helical cut gears as well as Indian motorcycles. Harley Davidson has used helical cut gears since the introduction of the 6-speed Twin-cam 96.

I didn’t say all bikes, just nearly all bikes. 

BMW also made some, but the majority have straight cut. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

21 hours ago, betoney said:

To you or anyone else that has the gear whine noise, what speed or rpm does it happen?

Mine comes in at 50 mph then suddenly stops at 70 mph in 6th.

Been thinking of adding 1 tooth up front to avoid the whine, would move the sound to a higher speed where wind noise might cover it up.

Not all tracers are the same.

Some have almost zero whine, some have a whine that is intolerable.
Most have rattling clutch baskets, some don't.

If you have an issue that makes you not enjoy your Tracer, that is not your expectation at fault, you just have an issue with your Tracer. I honestly cannot believe that ANYONE would ever consider selling this bike solely because of the "normal" whine of a healthy engine. My ears are my business and it's just not possible. So yeah, normal whine is great. Super loud whine not so much... No need for the "love it or leave it" thing.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Just got back from a ride. I wonder if there is any corelation between the rubber dampened front sprocket and regular one with the whine.

I've seen some that like the rubber one, and those that like a standard front sprocket for sound.

6 hours ago, duckie said:

If the tracer doesn’t meet your expections, for sure get something that does…….

but dont blame the tracer….,.blame your expectations cause there sure are plenty that think the tracer is just fine…….me being one of them.

So you’re saying the problem with some Tracers doesn’t exist because it doesn’t happen to yours?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/26/2021 at 4:00 PM, peteinpa said:

Just got back from a ride. I wonder if there is any corelation between the rubber dampened front sprocket and regular one with the whine...

I did notice that the non-dampened sprocket is a tad noisier (especially when new), but that was only evident at low RPM. I find the engine happiest above 5,000rpm anyway, so not really an issue IMO. I felt that the dampened sprocket had a percussive effect (slight rumble, in feel only), and there was no escaping that no matter the rpm. Either sprocket not really an issue. I replaced due to wear, not so much because it really bothered me otherwise.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Moi itou je trouve le bruit ben fatiguant en 6e à 100-120. Je tiens la5e jusqu'à 140 avant de passer en 6 mais j'avoue que c'est risqué côté SQ...

C'est vrai que le banc est trop incliné, ça finit par être inconfortable pour les bijoux. Je vais probablement changer pour un Corbin chauffant.

Par contre, pas d'huile brulée en ce qui me concerne.

Beau trip que vous avez fait.

There is a difference between a true issue and normal operating characteristics.

The problem is people not knowing the difference.

Gear whine was one reason for selling. I have gear whine also but it is not a issue to me but a normal operating characteristics of this engine.

Ive had my right foot get toasted once in 18,000 miles, but that has do to being 105 outside temp and riding really slow. Once I picked up the pace, it went away. This was not a issue with the motorcycle but riding style and conditions.

The seat has never been a issue with me…..I still have the stock one and after 18,000 has broken in nicely. No need for me to replace.

The tracer riding position is nothing like a sport bike nor is it even close to being sporty.

Mines never burned oil.

So if I find the gear whine not a issue, why does it become a issue just because someone else dosent like it?

To get right down to it……I get that the tracer is not for everyone, but dont blame the bike for this but your personal preferences.

I get annoyed at people dissing the motorcycle just because of personal  preferences. It is what it is, dont like, get one you do, but dont bitch about it. 

• Thumbsup 2