new Suzuki S1000GT

3sum

• Premium Member

The center stand is about the only thing I would miss. The other stuff I don’t care that much about…. Except for cruise control. I really want cruise control. 

• Thumbsup 2

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

The center stand is about the only thing I would miss. The other stuff I don’t care that much about…. Except for cruise control. I really want cruise control. 

A McCruise is only $560 away...

Center stands are great, as are self canceling turn signals.  Something my 76 RD400 has (well I did remove the center stand to fit expansion chambers).  Heated grips are an easy add to any bike.  As is better suspension albeit not so inexpensive.

But if I'm buying a 21 or later I want an IMU and all it brings with it.  The T9GTs electronic suspensions seems compromised though, and I could live without it.  A up-down QS is very desirable too, especially with us older folks with arthritis in our hands.

Bottom line, any 21 and later sport / sport tourer should have an IMU and a complete rider protection package.

Really, with a bigger screen, hand guards and some hard luggage, a 21 MT-09 SP would fit the bill and be a bunch cheaper.  Now can it take a T(9/T9GT center stand some how?

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, micah2074 said:

The GT does have cruise control. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

No IMU driven ABS, TC, SC, LC, etc. and cramped ergos!  Forget it, plus it's a cross-frame 4 cylinder.

At least the new normally aspirated Ninja 1000 has all the bells and whistles but is also cramped for Clydesdales and still slightly porky.

I hope the Suzuki has better ergonomics than the Ninja, I loved the test ride (the bike and its features were very impressive) but my knees and hips weren't very happy.

-For me personally- the IMU has no weight in attracting me to a bike, Ive lived without it successfully thus far so if it comes with it, then fine but I wouldn't purposely chose a bike just because it offers an IMU.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, betoney said:

I hope the Suzuki has better ergonomics than the Ninja, I loved the test ride (the bike and its features were very impressive) but my knees and hips weren't very happy.

-For me personally- the IMU has no weight in attracting me to a bike, Ive lived without it successfully thus far so if it comes with it, then fine but I wouldn't purposely chose a bike just because it offers an IMU.

Eventually, all bikes will have IMU driven safety systems, and they should.  The only reason the new Suzi doesn't is to keep its MSRP down and/or they rushed its release and V2 next season will have it.  And it's a false economy as other features that are available on the T9GT standard has are an option.

Years ago I heard people say the same thing when TC and SC became available on cars, before that people said they didn't need air bags and ABS, and going way back, seat belts were an option many said were a waste of money.  I actually installed CC and sun roofs on some of my old cages...

Now these auto safety systems are mandated and standard equipment even in econo boxes, and the plethora of additional systems is almost mind bogling, including auto CC, braking, parking and steering.

Of course I remember when color TVs came out, and then remote control.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Eventually, all bikes will have IMU driven safety systems, and they should.

Oh, I agree with you, this will all become standard equipment, same with radar assist cruise control (or whatever its called), its just not a selling point, in ANY way - for me.  If you had 2 identical bikes, one with an IMU and one without, I would not pay extra for the IMU.  Give me cruise control and heated grips and I'm good to go. 

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, betoney said:

Oh, I agree with you, this will all become standard equipment, same with radar assist cruise control (or whatever its called), its just not a selling point, in ANY way - for me.  If you had 2 identical bikes, one with an IMU and one without, I would not pay extra for the IMU.  Give me cruise control and heated grips and I'm good to go. 

Same goes for me. I've never had heated grips so that falls into the same category as IMU. I do ride with heated gloves in the winter...

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member

I understand but when you get a few years older, I bet you'll change your tune.

And being in the PNW and TN, unless your in upper elevations, freezing temps aren't the norm for you.  I ride all year when it's clear and road salt has been washed away (I used to have a rat bike that didn't mind salt but ran out of room for it).

I notice you didn't mention passing on ABS and CC...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I understand but when you get a few years older, I bet you'll change your tune.

And being in the PNW and TN, unless your in upper elevations, freezing temps aren't the norm for you.  I ride all year when it's clear and road salt has been washed away (I used to have a rat bike that didn't mind salt but ran out of room for it).

I notice you didn't mention passing on ABS and CC...

I ride year round and It gets plenty cold here. Coldest I've ridden is 8F.

I'm not anti tech. It’s just that the latest tech doesn't mean that much to me.

My 2015 doesn't have cruise control. I wish it did, but, She's taken me 112K miles without it so it's not that big of a deal.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I ride year round and It gets plenty cold here. Coldest I've ridden is 8F.

I'm not anti tech. It just that the latest tech doesn't mean that much to me.

My 2015 doesn't have cruise control. I wish it did, but, She's taken me 112K miles without it so it's not that big of a deal.

Wow, 112K!  You're an animal!

Any significant issues with your FJ?

With my bod, arthritis in my hands among several other much more significant issues, cruise was an absolute necessity.  As was suspension, a saddle, screens, etc.

If and when you become infirm, every little thing that keeps you riding more comfortably and safely becomes very desirable.

That's why I run a headlight modulator, added all sorts of lighting and reflective rim tape, a louder horn, and ATGAT including an air vest.

Rubba side down mate!

You're in G-ds country riding wise!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, micah2074 said:

I'm not anti tech. It just that the latest tech doesn't mean that much to me.

I feel this way about most tech haha

That said, ABS is certainly a nice-to-have.  CC is right up there, too.  A low-tech throttle lock = so far so good, but yeah...a true on-chip CC would be fabulous.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, knyte said:

I feel this way about most tech haha

That said, ABS is certainly a nice-to-have.  CC is right up there, too.  A low-tech throttle lock = so far so good, but yeah...a true on-chip CC would be fabulous.

You did not comment on heated grips or TC my Canuk friend!?

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Wow, 112K!  You're an animal!

Any significant issues with your FJ?

With my bod, arthritis in my hands among several other much more significant issues, cruise was an absolute necessity.  As was suspension, a saddle, screens, etc.

If and when you become infirm, every little thing that keeps you riding more comfortably and safely becomes very desirable.

That's why I run a headlight modulator, added all sorts of lighting and reflective rim tape, a louder horn, and ATGAT including an air vest.

Rubba side down mate!

You're in G-ds country riding wise!

My only issue was the trim panel that runs under the tank and seat cracked a few months after I got her. My dealer took care of it. 
She still runs as good as new and I wouldn’t hesitate to head out on a cross country ride today. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You did not comment on heated grips or TC my Canuk friend!?

Heated grips would be a nice-to-have, but falls behind CC.  Granted, not too far behind.  It'd be a close 2nd!

TC TBH is something I rarely give much thought.  I've had to disable it once on a gravel road in order to get a good enough run at a hill with all kinds of loose debris.  Other than that, I mean, I'm no hooligan, so don't see the need for wheelies and such.  Although - it sure looks good when other ppl do it :)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

Me too.  I did a short demo ride on a N1K last year and liked it, but wondered about the slight-ish lean it has (I have two jacked up elbows that won't straighten anymore).  At least with the Suzuki, it has a true handlebar on it.  But i'm jonesing for a ride on one.

6 hours ago, betoney said:

#2 me too.  It's nice, but not a must have for me.  Now that I've lived with a bike with true cruise control (even though I'm fighting an issue with mine currently), I don't want to buy another bike without it.

• Thumbsup 1