new Suzuki S1000GT

3sum

• Premium Member

As much as I love my Tracer, I must admit this new Suzuki coming out has me very intrigued. That great K5 engine and *36* litre sidecases. 

The TFT dash looks better than the Tracer's.  The price looks quite agreeable, too.

More info at: https://suzukicycles.com/street/2022/gsx-s1000gt-plus

CW_S1000GT.jpeg

CW_S1000GT_dash.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

I had a 2016 GXS-S1000F before I got my Tracer. That K5 motor is terrific. Brakes and chassis were good. Front suspenders were okay, awful stock shock.

But here is where it really lost me.

The ergonomics. I'm not ancient, only 45, but I live with a lot of lower body injuries. Peg/seat was too close, even with different seat and pegs. The stretch to the bars, even with risers, I still wasn't a fan. And basically no wind/weather protection, even with a larger shield.

If it was a second, have fun bike, it might still be with me, but I'm now a one bike guy. And no regrets with the Tracer.

• Thumbsup 6

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

This might be my next new bike.

I agree.  I've already begun laying the groundwork with my wife.  Like an idiot, I told her that I'd keep the Tracer for 5 years when I bought it, since it was the first new bike I'd bought in over 10 years.  I usually buy 2-3 year old models but I was ready for something new and the Tracer ticked all the boxes at the time.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, timo50 said:

Its tempting me away from mt 2015 Tracer, just need to test ride it. Price is the same as the Tracer GT here in the UK, it looks a better package.

Here in the U.S. the Suzuki GT+ is $1100 less ($13,800 vs $14,900) than the Tracer 9 GT and $4,400 cheaper than the top spec Versys 1000 SE LT+, though it doesn't have the IMU, electronic suspension, heated grips or a center stand if those are important to you.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Lots more details here.   I didn’t have the time to watch it all, but I like what I’m seeing at a quick review:  

Great video, very informative. 

One thing I always think about any time a new model is introduced is "how will the competitors respond?"  Surely when one manufacturer raises the bar (like with the Tracer GT) the competition want to add that feature or design to their model and take it one step beyond to attract new buyers.  What will the Gen IV Tracer 9 bring?  What will Honda reveal?  This 2022 model looks very promising, I will probably be in the market in 2-3 years and cant wait to see what is available by then. 

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Here in the U.S. the Suzuki GT+ is $1100 less ($13,800 vs $14,900) than the Tracer 9 GT and $4,400 cheaper than the top spec Versys 1000 SE LT+, though it doesn't have the IMU, electronic suspension, heated grips or a center stand if those are important to you.

You just mentioned everything that is important to me.  IMU is important, would love the cornering ABS and traction control goodness it brings.  Heated grips and center stand are must haves as well.  Electronic suspension is nice but not as desired as the other omissions.

Price, my understanding it does not come with sidecases and they are extra.  BMW totally lost me on the F900XR with their pricing structure.  Base is cheap but with everything necessary it becomes expensive.

I do a lot of long road trips and while I have a ScottOiler being able to put the bike on the center stand to lube or inspect the chain is essential.  Yes its possible but inconvenient.  I take enough tools to be able to change front and rear tires LOL a long 3/8 ratchet will just barely fit under in seat in the side pod area.  Can get sockets and small tools in them also.  Looking at the exhaust is it even possible to have a center stand?

Now that I've finished complaining.  Bike looks nice, good engine, looks like a proper Sport Touring bike except for the black faring at the front of the bike.  They did a great job on the re-make.  I almost bought the predecessor which turned out to have a very weak rear subframe.  Apparently folks had issues with it cracking.  I see it as competition for the Ninja 1000 more so than the Tracer 9 GT but they are all similar size and prices.  

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, timo50 said:

Its tempting me away from mt 2015 Tracer, just need to test ride it. Price is the same as the Tracer GT here in the UK, it looks a better package.

Heated grips are standard on the GT.  They are a near £400 extra on the Suzi.

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Price, my understanding it does not come with sidecases and they are extra.

Quote from Cycle World article - "the new subframe allows the fitting of quick-release panniers that are optional on the GT model, but come standard on the GT+ (at least in the States)."

• Premium Member

No IMU driven ABS, TC, SC, LC, etc. and cramped ergos!  Forget it, plus it's a cross-frame 4 cylinder.

At least the new normally aspirated Ninja 1000 has all the bells and whistles but is also cramped for Clydesdales and still slightly porky.

I want light and compact, and prefer triples and twins unless it's a rocket ship like the BMW S1000XR.  Yes there is the KTM Super Duke GT but me thinks it's maybe too over the top and even pricier than the BMW, with even fewer stealerships scattered about.  A KTM 890 Duke GT may be attractive but not available, and again it would be a KTM.  I'm actually concerned about testing the XR or SD GT because if I could afford one of them, I'm not sure how long I'd be able to hold onto my license if I added either to my stable.

Now the 2022 Triumph Speed Triple RS (let alone the RR), IMO is a happy medium and utterly amazing (only 440# wet and 157 HP & 85 FP at the rear wheel), and it would be the ultimate sport tourer if they did the few tweaks more needed!

https://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/triumph/2022-triumph-speed-triple-1200-rs-review-first-ride.html

https://www.rideapart.com/news/532903/triumph-speed-triple-1200-rr/

• Thumbsup 1