Bar weight /hand guard retaining screw falling out

Has anyone else also had a problem with handlebar end weight / hand guard screw unscrewing and falling out ?  My friend loss his bar weight completely at about 200 miles (can't remember if it was left or rigth hand side). 

So I checked mine bike (300 miles at this point) and found the left side screw had unscrewed itself about 1/4 inch, while the rigth side screw was just loose.

We both purchased our FJ-09s from the same Medina Ohio Yam dealer a few days apart - so maybe it's just a dealer setup thing?

Has anyone else also had a problem with handlebar end weight / hand guard screw unscrewing and falling out ?  My friend loss his bar weight completely at about 200 miles (can't remember if it was left or rigth hand side).   
So I checked mine bike (300 miles at this point) and found the left side screw had unscrewed itself about 1/4 inch, while the rigth side screw was just loose.

We both purchased our FJ-09s from the same Medina Ohio Yam dealer a few days apart - so maybe it's just a dealer setup thing?

Had the same problem but did lose mine. Bluelocite is your friend.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

I went to install Grip Puppies on my new bike: found the lhs guard screw very loose: rhs was OK. Seems like another of these all-too-frequent dealer let-downs.
L of S 

I found my right hand one had come lose on a ride out last Sunday. thought the gaurd was bouncing abit so just checked it while riding, luckliy one of my fellow riders had a full alen key set (the one you get in seat doesnt fit). so gave both a good two white knuckles before carrying on

• Premium Member
Normally, Yamaha uses some form of red thread sealant & it's very difficult to get off to replace bar ends or grips. Anyone seen any evidence of it on the bolt?
No 
I have removed the bar ends to fit & then remove muffs and they are easy to undo, with no loctite. Once done up with a decent allen key/wrench they do not come loose. As said above, the problem is a piss poor pre-delivery assembly & inspection by the selling dealer.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Normally, Yamaha uses some form of red thread sealant & it's very difficult to get off to replace bar ends or grips. Anyone seen any evidence of it on the bolt?

Not on the bar end/hand guard bolts, in my experience.

Some of the clamp on style handlebars are hollow and have an insert pressed into the bar (which acts as a nut captured in a rubber surrounding, similar to an engine mount). If you put blue or red loctite on those, you'll never get the bolts back out.

Skip

• Premium Member
Would these weighted bar ends work on the FJ ? http://www.luckybike.com/bar-ends-yamaha-weighted-18mm-bolt-1

When you say work, do you mean fit or do you mean have an effect?

They will fit, make the bike heavier and look pretty if that's your sort of thing. I don't think they will perform any useful function as I am not noticing any worrying vibration through the bars. I fitted grip puppies to increase the diameter for comfort rather than absorb vibration.

As I stated above, if the original bar ends are done up properly they don't come loose.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Wessie,  I have Orangutan paws - what are grip puppies?  I was thinking I needed larger grips...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

This happened to me about 3 weeks ago.  Had about 1700 miles on it and was on the interstate when I noticed the left handguard getting jiggly.  I took the next exit and checked and the retaining screw assembly was gone.  Came out somewhere on the interstate.  Went to the dealer and they ordered a new one.  It's been almost 2 weeks now and they still don't have it.  I didn't ask then but I assume this will be a warranty issue and will not come out of my pocket.  BTW parts for the recall are back ordered according to the dealer and they have no idea when those will come in.  I'm still riding however with no problems. 

Archived