Set of forks

There's a guy over on ADVrider.com who created a dual-sport adventure/rally frankenbike using his FJ-09 and a set of really tall off-road forks, among many other things.

Here's the start of the thread. Go to the last page to see some recent photos of where the bike stands now. Somewhere in there is the tale of the forks he used...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/fj09-adventure-rally-build.1500098/

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, littlebruv said:

Has anyone swapped the Tracer forks for a different brand ?, I don't mean the internals but the entire fork legs

It would be easier to offer suggestions if you mention what the end result is that you are looking for.  I cant imagine anything that couldn't be achieved with upgrades to the current forks, unless you need a long travel fork but then the back end would be out of whack.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The reason for asking about using different forks is recently I had a low speed crash into the back of a vehicle, a motorcycle technician couldn't believe how easily the stantions bent, he pointed out how thin the walls are on them. I compared them to a KTM 990 SMT which is a similar style bike which as WP forks and are more robust, I suppose it just comes down to how cheap the FJ09 build package is.

4 hours ago, littlebruv said:

The reason for asking about using different forks is recently I had a low speed crash into the back of a vehicle, a motorcycle technician couldn't believe how easily the stantions bent, he pointed out how thin the walls are on them. I compared them to a KTM 990 SMT which is a similar style bike which as WP forks and are more robust, I suppose it just comes down to how cheap the FJ09 build package is.

This is probably intentional design.

It is far better that the stanchions bend, than the force is transmitted into the frame and bend that. Yamaha specify the fork strength and rigidity for normal use anyway, impacts fall outside of those design criteria.

The WP forks might be more robust, if subjected to a force which they are not designed for [an impact] then they may well plastically deform anyway. If i rear-ended a car on my bike [i have done it in the past!] I would want to be assured that the forks are not bent so even the WP forks might need a strip down and check even if they are apparently undamaged.

I would just replace like for like and put it down to experience.

• Thumbsup 1

You want the forks to bend in an impact, not the frame. If the forks had survived that impact, the frame would be bent and the bike totaled.

Take the tank off and ponder the intricate weight-saving casting of the frame. There's a lot of very high-end analysis and casting technology that went into it. It's a long way from the old welded aluminum beam frames.

In other words, the wall thickness of the fork parts were deliberately engineered for the bike's intended uses and the weight and performance goals for the bike. The FJ-09/Tracer is very light for its size and mission.

This process is significantly more expensive than just slapping on thicker wall or "off the shelf" fork parts. Materials costs are almost insignificant for intricate parts like forks.

All that said, Yamaha certainly did cheap out big-time on the fork internals and adjustability, but there are upgrades available.

I'm quite familiar with Suzuki V-Stroms, and they were engineered with a lower budget and a different set of goals in mind. The frames, forks, etc. are stone axe crude by comparison, and the bikes are heavy but overall pretty darn durable. Still, I've discovered bent forks on quite a few examples; the forks can and do get bent in surprisingly light oopsies. But I've never found a bent frame, at least not after the sort of oopsy the rider can walk or ride away from.

It would be pretty cool if there were a set of compatible sportbike forks out there with all the expensive adjustment doodads, higher-performance damping, and such. However, the FJ/Tracer forks are significantly longer and longer-travel than any sportybike forks, so that would require a pretty high level of fabrication. Some Euro "adventure" or "adventure-touring" bikes come with high-end forks, but a lot of research would be required to figure out if there's potential for a swap, and I don't recall seeing any such projects before. Most people upgrade the forks they have.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, littlebruv said:

The tech misled you - how experienced was he? Is he a suspension engineer?

just MHO but putting the blame on, or suggesting that the fork tubes are too thin because they gave away and became damaged in an impact they probably weren’t designed for, is misguided. Designers/engineers cannot possibly design a fork that will hold up in every possible circumstance and/or crash, and also perform to a high potential and cost very little. Not going to happen. 

as others here have said, replace the fork tubes and don’t worry about the longevity of the parts and trying to find something different. It was an accident. I’m glad that you are ok, and walked away. 

-Skip

The KTM has to have thicker fork tube walls because it has much longer suspension travel and more off road bias.

Sometimes techs say things to make it look like they know what they’re talking about. 

The Tracer was made to be light, just like sport bikes, there is nothing out of the ordinary on the parts design used. 

No bike is made to withstand a front on impact. 

I looked into doing a front end swap a few years ago. I was considering a more sporty set up though, like from a Multistrada. Never went anywhere with it. I'd be curious to know what you find though!

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

1 hour ago, koth442 said:

I looked into doing a front end swap a few years ago. I was considering a more sporty set up though, like from a Multistrada. Never went anywhere with it. I'd be curious to know what you find though!

Yeah, I was thinking one of the zooty more street-biased Euro ADV bikes might have a fancy fourteen way adjustable fork with massage and tassels that could be adapted. Sourcing such a front end in good condition, especially in the US, would be nearly impossible and massively expensive, but you never know.

Many of the fanciest recent models have various electronic adjustments, and adapting these would entail a whole 'nuther level of ingenuity and aggravation.

However, you'd be doing this just to be doing it. Nothing wrong with that, but objectively it doesn't make the least bit of sense. The potential results vs. expense and effort are quite low compared to just upgrading the existing forks with good cartridges and springs, and spending the time and effort to properly tune them. Nothing at all wrong with the stock slidy bits, and they're plenty strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I cannot see Yamaha saying, "Yeah, supplier, thin out those fork tubes a little so we can save some cash."  Just don't think it works that way, especially if they are made by a third party supplier.  And it certainly looks like they are, so I suspect those same stanchions are used on other bikes as well, perhaps in a different finish.  

With all of the focus on reducing weight, stanchion suppliers are probably trying to be competitive by working on their strength to weight ratio.  A little give, a little take...

• 2 months later...