Tracer/FJ underseat tool kit contents.......

My toolkit comprised 1 spanner, the rear shock adjuster, an extension handle, the helmet lock wire thingy ( I think thats what it is for anyway ? ) and the rubber strap to hold this marvelous toolkit in place under the seat !!
im thinking there should be more to it than that, can anyone confirm that im missing a few tools before I get on the case to my dealer ? 
Cheers
pilgo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, cheers chaps-ive never seen such a spartan toolkit on any of my bikes before, maybe I should of kept the kit from the old Fazer I sold when I got the Tracer ?!  :(
My 2009 Triumph Street Triple R toolkit: 1 Allen key. Typical British understatement?

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Ok, cheers chaps-ive never seen such a spartan toolkit on any of my bikes before, maybe I should of kept the kit from the old Fazer I sold when I got the Tracer ?!  :(
My 2009 Triumph Street Triple R toolkit: 1 Allen key. Typical British understatement?
Its British, so obviously it'll never go wrong, so no toolkit required !! ( cough cough ) ;)

• Premium Member
Its British, so obviously it'll never go wrong, so no toolkit required !! ( cough cough ) ;)
I think he understated the StTR toolkit by 50%.  On the Daytona the 5mm allen key under the rider's seat could be used to remove the pillion seat, under which there was a (really lousy) screwdriver.  I'm sure the StTR had a screwdriver somewhere too. 
The FJ's toolkit has a spanner for adjusting preload.  I had to go buy that for the Daytona.  Bonus!

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
If you look below the plastic divider thing under the pillion seat you'll find a decent snap-on (co-branded with Yamaha) socket set. Admittedly on 1/4" drive but nevertheless.

• Premium Member
If you look below the plastic divider thing under the pillion seat you'll find a decent snap-on (co-branded with Yamaha) socket set. Admittedly on 1/4" drive but nevertheless.
Maybe on your bike, but I'm pretty sure that's not standard from Yamaha.... 
This talk about limited and cheesy tools in the supplied tool kit makes me wonder: Who ever got a good tool kit with the bike?  I've owned four Japanese bikes and all of them had minimal kits of poor quality, mostly stamped-steel stuff.  As deersSlayer pointed out, the Triumph's tools were almost nonexistent, making the Japanese kits look fantastic by comparison.

My understanding is that the BMWs come with a halfway decent kit (their cars have the best kit I've seen in any vehicle), and it would be criminal if an HD didn't come with a few tools (although perhaps you need the Screaming Eagle toolkit upgrade :)), but I'm really wondering: What bikes have people owned which came with a fairly useful tool kit?

I should at least go through the FJ kit and familiarize myself with what it's got; all I ever did was a quick look-through.  On my first break-in ride I discovered that I'd forgotten to properly tighten the locknuts for the mirrors when I bolted everything back up, and it never even occurred to me to look at the toolkit to see if I had something to fix that.  Eight years of riding a bike with all but zero useful tools will do that to you.  :P

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

10 bikes over 25 years with all the Japanese brands and one BMW. All are subpar. They to me are for roadside emergencies only. I always bring better kit when on a multi-day ride.

• Premium Member
the toolkit with my 2000 year BMW R1150GS was a decent quality. I used the Torx & allen keys quite often in my 11 years of ownership.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I've been riding for over 40 years, owned 28 different motorcycles and not one has had a decent quality tool kit. ( admittedly I may be biased, as a former professional auto technician I kind of got used to using Snap-On, Mac or other very high quality tools) I have a small tool roll that I used to use during my off road days that I bought from Cruz tools (are they still around?). These are not absolute top quality but are far superior to the stamped steel stuff that comes from factory and I would say is probably on par with offerings from Craftsman. Great for that roadside repair. It has some basic wrenches, sockets, ratchet wrench and Allen keys and a few small screwdrivers. I throw in a pair of small vise grips, pliers, and otherwise modify it for whatever bike I currently own with things such as a wrench for axle nuts, special Allen wrenches etc. I see I will have to include some tamper proof Torx drivers for the FJ! I then pack it along on those long rides. Always remembering a good tire plug kit and some way to fill the tires. I carry CO2 cartridges.

More than tool kits, I wish that manufacturers would include some way to plug and fill the tires. After all, if the tire goes down, you are pretty much stuck. 

Edit:

In answer to my own question, Cruz Tools are still around and it appears they expanded.    They now have tools for Motorsports, Musicians, Pilots etc.     You can find their website at http://www.cruztools.com.     Hmmmm I might have to order up a set of tools for adjustments and maintenance on my Fender Strat' !!

• Premium Member
I wish that manufacturers would include some way to plug and fill the tires. After all, if the tire goes down, you are pretty much stuck. 
In the UK, Yamaha gives you a card with 12 months RAC (like AAA) membership for that sort of thing, all included in the purchase price. 
My BMW had a Rema tyre plug kit but I never used it and the rubber bungs went hard. I prefer to use the RAC card or an aerosol such as Wynn's Tyrefix. If the can of gloop can't fix the hole I would rather change the tyre or get a proper repair using one of those mushroom patches. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived