Perch for Rotopax Container(s)

piotrek

• Supporting Member

My sketchy looking mock-up of a perch that I will use with 1 gal Rotopax containers (using their pack mount system). I want to move away from just strapping fuel to my seat/tail bag. No mods required to the bike, so I can have the grab rails on there and a tail bag most of the time, and switch out for longer or more remote trips.

I did not have enough material, so the plate is short... but the important bits are there. Thinking of working with 5052 Aluminum for this... 1/8" plate and 1/4" front supports. Probably a 2 gallon load capacity (<15lbs).

This will be my first time annealing and bending aluminum, so should be fun... and probably a bit more expensive than I had originally thought (I am learning 😬). I will post updates once I have material in hand and start breaking stuff.

perch.thumb.jpg.6c79448f3085b57489087f026b012bc8.jpg

rpax.thumb.jpg.e795c20f7b172e937c122a9ddf883a69.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

The 1/8" plate is shaped and nearly finished. Rigged up a brake with angle iron to get the bends most of the way there. A big hammer and a piece of lumber drove things home. I am pleased with the outcome. Now on to the front supports. The 1/4" plate should be fun.

plate_top.thumb.jpg.c07c4b13fa3a12f98f05736564fe4925.jpg

plate_side.thumb.jpg.e885da0a3d1aab39bf9b529ad4d7db44.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

Uh interesting and nice job so far but does the pillion saddle come off easily with this mod?

Seems it could be tricky.  And access under the saddle will be more difficult. 

Given I gas up whenever in doubt on unfamiliar routes no matter what GPS, GasBuddy, map says, on tour carrying a couple of easily packable 1 qt. camp gas aluminium bottles has always been enough for me.

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Uh interesting and nice job so far but does the pillion saddle come off easily with this mod?

Seems it could be tricky.  And access under the saddle will be more difficult. 

Given I gas up whenever in doubt on unfamiliar routes no matter what GPS, GasBuddy, map says, on tour carrying a couple of easily packable 1 qt. camp gas aluminium bottles has always been enough for me.

What sort of bottles are you talking about here?  I'm looking at a range extending solution myself and am waffling between a rotopax or bottles, but I'm not really sure what bottles would be good/safe/secure.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

does the pillion saddle come off easily with this mod?

Yes it does. The mock-up was some 1/4" too low overall. The finished plate is raised with just enough clearance for the the seat to be removed/inserted.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

@Wintersdark... I use bottles sometimes (photo)... inside tool tubes. Tricky to mount safely otherwise, but doable. Bought these at an outdoor/camping store (SAIL), but available elsewhere for sure.

tool_tubes.thumb.jpg.41f50eaa2c9421f392d3d5dbfa075530.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I have similar aluminum bottles I attached a 2 inch wide x 3 Inch peel n stick velcro hook side with the Loop side stuck to the wall of my SH46 top case; with the other bottle stuck in the right SH36 pannier.  Similar attachment on my VTR.

• Supporting Member

Front supports almost there. I now have to fold them under the plate at a weird agle. Thought of using L-brackets instead, but hey... go big or go home. I will then fasten them somehow (rivets?) and get them welded.

front_supports.thumb.jpg.35b6b7e4005a665f0bd2293b4425fa58.jpg

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, betoney said:

@piotrek that mount looks very sturdy.  It will probably support more weight than the sub frame is rated for. 👍

LOL... probably. It's not steel remember, and 1/8" would be too flimsy for the supports. I really like working with 5052. It's strong, yet it can be persuaded to bend without cracking.

• Thumbsup 2

Looking good @piotrek. Does your Shad case overhang the forward part of the mounting plate? Can you use the topbox in any way to brace for sideways movement? My concern when I saw your first post, was lateral forces squashing the front mounting straps. Those brackets look great in compression but could collapse when pushed sideways if not strong enough. I’m guessing now though, that the mass of a full rotapax isn’t that high.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member

Hey @BBB... the plate clears the top case overhang if that's what you mean. The solution needs to securely support up to 15lbs (2 gallons of fuel and weight of the containers). The plate when fastened in the back is plenty solid on its own and there isn't much lateral movement at the other end. I think the 1/4" bar will do to minimize sway/deflection. I suppose it will give with enough force, but not from intended use... methinks. When it's all tied together it should be solid. We shall see 😬.

I could ask the welder to add stiffening to the bends in the plate to improve rigidity of the 'zed'. Could also stiffen the supports.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

Just an idea...

After I switched to a 17-tooth sprocket up front I noticed an instant gain in mileage without any lost performance.

For increasing touring range it's an easy and quick mod to try.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

Front supports folded under the plate and finessed into shape. The supports feel rock solid, and once this is all bonded together it ain't going anywhere.

rpax_supports.thumb.jpg.31f8c29ca567f9804249edfe4134bc8a.jpg

Another fit check, this time with a top case. I will be able to easily have two containers stacked, and still be able to open the case. One should do fine on most remote trips. There is a small bit of space under the plate that I am sure I will utilize at some point.

rpax_topcase.thumb.jpg.3fdf901e52cf1b70a8f7437a1aa87afe.jpg

Final steps will involve minor tweaking and removing any tension from the assembly. I will then rivet the pieces together and have them welded. I might paint it.

• Thumbsup 6