New Motorcycle Lift Day - Oh noooooooo

• Supporting Member
36 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

But in my defense, to be clear: I never use the latch when filling a motorcycle gas tank, and didn't engage it here.  The tanks are small, so there's no point in it. Most of our pumps don't even have them anymore. But they're supposed to be spring loaded (the spring pushing in the release direction, which is why you can squeeze the handle to release the latch) but this one apparently was lacking that spring so the latch engaged on it's own and wouldn't disengage.

Funny that you mention that, the EXACT same thing happened to me yesterday while out on a ride.  I never use the handle lock when filling the bikes but the pump handle latch spring was broken so the latch flopped into place and locked the pump on with no return spring to release the lock. 

Luckily the pumps turn off with back pressure (I assume that's what it is) so all I could do is push the nozzle completely down into the tank to get it to auto-shut off.  So glad that I didn't have a fountain of gas spraying everywhere.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

You are not going to believe this. 

I can't remember the last time I got gasoline on me. I was very young, that's for sure. Today I took the family for a long drive (well, long for Belgians at least) to first go for a walk at a lake and then visit friends with a new baby. Along the way I was filling up the car and a lot went wrong with the reading of my card which I won't get into but suffice to say that I was not relaxed. The nozzle was at an odd angle and didn't go in all the way but the last notch on the nozzle held it into place fine. 

But with this conversation in the back of my mind I had the urge to try and adjust the nozzle in the middle of filling the tank. I thought I really don't want to get gasoline all over me. Which resulted in it happening! I jumped out and sprayed me. I should have left it alone. I am writing this still wearing the pants that were full of gas hours ago. Also on the crotch and I had no choice but to wear them all day long. Luckily I at least had a fresh t-shirt with me and the gas station has a plastic bag for the smelly one. It was also a glorious day and we could keep the windows open and now the smell is gone (or we've all gotten used to it).

Life is strange.

Edited by petshark
  • Haha 5