• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New Motorcycle Lift Day - Oh noooooooo

I love working on the bike but lower back pain is killing me so after a lot of thought I finally bought myself a nice motorcycle lift table.

I finished installing it and found that it fits just under my SUV in my small garage. There's just room for the car and nothing else except a few very narrow things against the walls.

Why am I telling you this you might wonder...

I finished installing the lift and couldn't wait to get the bike up there. First time that I had to push it up on a small ramp so I made sure that I had a good grip, one hand on the handlebars and one the passenger rail, got a little speed and.. down it crashed to the right side!! I couldn't believe it. I just stared incomprehensibly at my previously immaculate bike that I had been enjoying for 15 months. Then I realized that I would not be able to pick it up. The wheels were still raised on the platform and the top of the bike was against the wall of the garage.

Called my girl in a panic and we got it up again. The mirror had broken off but that seemed to be the worst of it at first glance. What came next will horrify you. I must have been in shock because even though I had no idea how this could have happened I immediately tried again WITH THE SAME RESULT! This time the footrest broke. The Chinese FJR one. It just broke in half.

That's when I realized that it was the side-stand that was causing this. I always leave it down when rolling the bike around in the shed next to the garage or even take it out of the shed. A habit that I created to be safer at a time where I was afraid to lose control over the bike while walking around with it. Now that habit bit me... hard.

When the front wheel reaches the platform after the ramp, it makes the side-stand hit the ramp just before the knee and pushes it violently to the right. This combined with the handlebars being higher and the momentum makes it impossible to keep it upright. This is probably all very obvious to most of you but I had not thought of it. I thought that I had just lost my balance somehow. I can tell you one thing; I will never forget to raise that side-stand again.

The front end hit some wood that was stacked there so the entire nose of the bike was askew. The dash, the lights, everything that is attached to that frame. The MRA touring screen was also bent but I quickly regained it's original form. I was able to force the nose back to the proper position by hand. I reinstalled the OEM footrests. The front wheel pointed heavily to the side with the handlebars straight so I loosened the pinch bolt, axle and lower triple tree clamps and pushed down on the handlebars until I got it all aligned again.

Then I did a long ride to unwind and the bike seems ok. The handlebar is a little bent upwards (10 mm) on the right, the hand protector is scratched and broken, the mirror itself is ok but the bracket it is attached to is broken in half. The lambda sonde cable is damaged but ... that wasn't connected anyway after the ECU flash so no worries there.

There's some paint from the ramp on the exhaust but that's it I think! Maybe I'll find some other damage after a deep wash but I count myself lucky. I ordered the parts and it's just 100 euros. (I didn't get new handlebars)

No pictures, I was too shocked and wanted the bike up asap. What a mistake to make!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 11

It happens, parts are cheap, it's just pride. Dropped mine after stopping to take a nice picture on the side of a gravel road, turned around after getting a fair distance away for the picture just in time to see it flop over from sinking into the gravel lol.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

It is now thoroughly broken in.  Ride it in joy my friend.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

Been there, done that! Also twice just years apart.

And both times were years after having my Handy Lift, which I bought new in 95.

https://www.handyindustries.com/standard-1200

Back then it cost $650 with ramp, wheel vise, dolly and shipping.  Best money I ever spent on my shop, along with the heat and AC.

To preclude another mishap, I prominently posted in 2 locations adjacent the path to the lift as well as on the ramp itself warning - reminder signs that say SIDE STAND UP!!!

I also attached to the ramp a vertical tab that is angled, tall and wide enough to catch and knock back and up the side stand if it's down before it has a chance to flip over a bike.

I also place a vinyl pad under the side stand foot, and 3/8" plywood board under center stand feet.

Pros often reinforce the table top with steel or aluminum plate.

Be sure to occasionally shoot a bit of pneumatic tool oil into the air line to lube the up/down valve and ram piston seals, and grease the scissor pivot bearings, elliptical arch bearings and other pivot points.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Been there, done that! Also twice just years apart.

And both times were years after having my Handy Lift, which I bought new in 95.

https://www.handyindustries.com/standard-1200

Back then it cost $650 with ramp, wheel vise, dolly and shipping.  Best money I ever spent on my shop, along with the heat and AC.

To preclude another mishap, I prominently posted in 2 locations adjacent the path to the lift as well as on the ramp itself warning - reminder signs that say SIDE STAND UP!!!

I also attached to the ramp a vertical tab that is angled, tall and wide enough to catch and knock back and up the side stand if it's down before it has a chance to flip over a bike.

I also place a vinyl pad under the side stand foot, and 3/8" plywood board under center stand feet.

Pros often reinforce the table top with steel or aluminum plate.

Be sure to occasionally shoot a bit of pneumatic tool oil into the air line to lube the up/down valve and ram piston seals, and grease the scissor pivot bearings, elliptical arch bearings and other pivot points.

Some good tips here, thanks! I've seen you state that the lift was "the best money spent" a few times and that was part of the decision to go for it.

This is mine. https://www.matthys.net/en/motorcycle-lift-width-55-cm-1225396
MOTORCYCLE LIFT WIDTH 55 CM

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Seems nice for the shekels though it's manual.

Least expensive here is about $1600 USD air powered including wheel vise but Harbor Freight Tools has a manual one for around $400.

What I can't believe is that mine is now triple the price even with a few minor improvements.

Use it in good health!

If you store it under your car, I presume you cover it with a waterproof cover that vents out the sides after treating it with a corrosion inhibitor?

• Thumbsup 2

Thanks for posting this, Petshark. I have been thinking about a bike lift for a while, and any tips, advice and warnings are much appreciated.  It probably didn't seem like it at the time but in retrospect I think you were lucky to have fairly minimal damage. Having put a dent in the fuel tank of my 3 month-old ZZR1100 when a skinny bit of softwood fell over in my garage I know how much these garage incidents can cost. Also, of course the main thing is that you didn't get hurt (physically if not mentally!!) Again, thanks for posting. 

• Thumbsup 1

I did just this a week ago. I was rolling my Tracer up onto the Handy lift and it wasn't straight so once the front wheel was up on the lift I turned the bars to back it off so I could then get a straight approach. Only when turning the bars to my right slightly the Tracer lost ground clearance on the return roll backwards and the Akro low hanging exhaust bottomed out on the lift ramp where it connects to the lift and the impact yanked the bike to the right and I was along for the ride at that point. I held on best I could but the oem touring screen and nose cowl over the right headlight impacted a metal work bench on the way over. I watched in horror as the bench just gouged the plastic parts. The back of the bike only touched the ground at the right side peg which it bent badly in an odd angle and the rear passenger foot peg bracket which withstood the weight of the bike with no damage. I had just removed the panniers prior to this. It could have been worse my two other bikes were right there as it fell. My 82 Katana front wheel was at the seat of the Tracer laying on the pavement and my 21 GSX-R1000R was right next to the Katana against a wall. Neither were hit. I did manage to pick the Tracer up myself and do not even remember doing it except halfway through it. Sub human strength and extreme adrenaline kicked in I guess cause I only weigh 135 lbs. 

Damage was of course the touring screen ruined, the right upper cowl piece over the headlight which was cheap at $41 bucks and a right side foot peg at $13 which was in stock. That is the 2nd time I have half ass dropped the Tracer in my garage first time was with a wet boot and attempting to lift on the center stand and boot slipped off center stand foot and the thing fell against a sheet rock wall ever so lightly and the sheet rock gave way and the right side bar end went through the cheap sheet rock bike never actually fell al the way over. Had to get my wife to help me then pull it out of the wall and the wall repair was $50 no damage to the bike then.

No mirror damage on the latest drop off the lift I have the rottweiler  flip in CRG mirrors and both times they worked with no damage to them. Beginning to think me and the Tracer are jinxed in the garage.

55A2A087-8382-4854-99DD-60D8DBBCDACD.jpeg

Edited by roy826

4 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

I've thought about getting one, NO MORE!

jeez, this sucks!  How high are they when you roll the bike on?

My Handy lift is only maybe 6" high when completely down. This is a rare occurrence in 11 years this is the only time I have had issue. The No ground clearance Tracer and me doing a stupid thing on the entrance to the lift caused this. Straight up and on and no issues.

In this picture you can see the lift height down and see the work bench my bike fell into. Along with the other two bikes along the far side wall. Good thing is I only dropped it into the one corner of that metal work bench or my damage would have been much worse. Yes I need a larger area. I’ve only been living in this house 4 years and my last home I had a large shop to work in. I haven’t built anything here at the new home yet because my wife wanted a swimming pool first which cost me $70k. So no shop yet. 

ACAB36B0-D32A-44D6-835C-C801A41D342F.jpeg

Edited by roy826
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

ooooh a Katana!

Yep owned it for the past 35 years only it was at my dads shop for the past 13 years in rough shape and not running. He passed away last Sept and I was left to liquidate is estate so the big Kat finally came home and I spent the winter getting it back running and in better shape. A 40 year old motorcycle needs everything basically. Especially anything that was made of rubber luckily Suzuki still sells quite a bit for it.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

I expect the parts to arrive in the next few hours. Can't wait to restore her to her former glory. If the delivery isn't cancelled last minute that is.

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

I've thought about getting one, NO MORE!

jeez, this sucks!  How high are they when you roll the bike on?

I estimate about 13 cm or 5 inches.. Don't let this deter you, it's a great investment and I'm still happy I've got it. Some reminder signs like @2and3cylinders suggests will really help. And thanks to @roy826 for letting us know to only go in a straight line up the ramp.

I did read the complete manual of the lift and I wished they had included this practical advise "Make sure you side stand is up!" instead of all the useless legal jargo there and on the stickers.

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

If you store it under your car, I presume you cover it with a waterproof cover that vents out the sides after treating it with a corrosion inhibitor?

Another good tip! I will spray is with ACF-50 and try to find some kind of cover. Or just leave the car out until it's dry.

1 hour ago, JonnyB said:

Thanks for posting this, Petshark. I have been thinking about a bike lift for a while, and any tips, advice and warnings are much appreciated.  It probably didn't seem like it at the time but in retrospect I think you were lucky to have fairly minimal damage. Having put a dent in the fuel tank of my 3 month-old ZZR1100 when a skinny bit of softwood fell over in my garage I know how much these garage incidents can cost. Also, of course the main thing is that you didn't get hurt (physically if not mentally!!) Again, thanks for posting. 

Oooof, that ZZR1100. That must have hurt a lot more. I do count myself lucky for sure. I couldn't believe that there is no damage to the panels or tank. The screen and handlebar kept most of the rest of the bike from hitting the ground. I did hurt my toe but don't know how. Maybe I tried to follow the bike as it went over and hit it against the ramp. But it's not broken or anything so again quite lucky.

• Thumbsup 1

Feel your pain.

I have been making a little cafe racer out of an XJ600H. I was doing the finishing touches and had it up on the lift. Forgot to secure the front wheel and it rolled back. I managed to catch it, but still took a chunk of paint out of the recently painted bar ends.

The next next day I went out on my Royal Alloy scooter and dropped it on it's side. FFS.

Bikes are amazing, but dropping them is [a] inevitable and [b] crushing (occasionally literally).

• Thumbsup 2