Chain Adjustment

Looked through some old posts on chain adjustment but couldn't find an answer to my particular question, hence why I'm starting a new post on this common subject. 

The manual states that to adjust the chain tension the axel and adjuster nuts should be loosened whilst the bike is on the side stand. Then raise the bike onto the centre stand, adjust and align aiming for a slack between 35mm to 45mm, then place the bike down onto the side stand and tighten the axel and adjusters. Why would you need to loosen and tighten on the side stand and adjust on the centre stand? I've always loosened, adjusted and finally tightened all on the centre stand, then off onto the side stand for a final check. Your thoughts and practices will be appreciated please.

Thanks, Michael......

• Supporting Member

Same method for me as bimbim18. On the center stand and then use a rag between the chain and rear sprocket to ensure that there is tension on the axle against the adjusters before finally tightening the rear axle nut.

Hmmm, I never considered it had anything to do with suspension. I’ve never heard of this method before this bike. I assumed it had to do with safety. Maybe a likelihood of bike being pushed off center stand while wrenching on the axle nut. Most bikes nowadays whether belt or chain, have no center stand so there is no such risk. All expect measurement to be done with full weight on wheels. It is only the position of bike while loosening/tightening the axle nut that differs. 

31 minutes ago, OldBikers said:

Could it be that it's safer to loosen the axle nut while the wheel is on the ground rather than the bike falling off the center stand. 

I know it can happen but over 65nyrs of owing XX bikes not 1 has fallen off the centerstand. IMO, you gotta be a real dufus for that to happen. 

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 3

Thanks for your comments and yes it seems loosening and tightening on the side stand is to prevent the bike being shoved off the centre stand due to the high axel torque setting, hence I now torque it up to no more then 80 ft lbs. I also adjust the chain slack to around 40mm. The manual says 35 to 45mm.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:14 PM, OldBikers said:

Just figuring that Yamaha doesn't want a liability for some doofus. 

Well it's like I always say.

When someone says "there no such thing as a dumb question"

My response is always " that sounds like a challenge!"

Give people a chance they will prove Darwin was right 

Edited by Bimbim18

Similar to Harley beginning every maintenance procedure, no matter how simple, with “Remove main fuse” to prevent any possibility of an inadvertent starter motor activation or other electrical event.  Not too many ppl actually do this.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Bimbim18 said:

Well it's like I always say.

When someone says "there no such thing as a dumb question"

My response is always " that sounds like a challenge!"

Give people a chance they will prove Darwin was right 

There IS not such thing as a dumb question, but there ARE dumb people who ask questions...  Clearly not on this forum as we all own FJs and that was a smart choice...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

I have always tightened the axle nut with the bike on its wheels (any bike). There is a small amount of play within the axle, swingarm and adjusters. All the play is taken up in the natural direction if you do it this way. I also hold the bike somewhere and push my knee onto the the rear tyre as I tighten the nut, to make sure the adjuster blocks are 'home' and any play (fore'n'aft) is also taken up. You could argue that it makes very little difference, but as an engineer, I have always done it that way.. YMMV.

To remove that play while on the center stand put bike in gear and rotate tire to pull chain tight.

My way, place round shank screw driver in bottom, rear sprocket/chain interface,roll tire forward till tight.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 6:04 AM, Suu Kyi said:

Looked through some old posts on chain adjustment but couldn't find an answer to my particular question, hence why I'm starting a new post on this common subject. 

The manual states that to adjust the chain tension the axel and adjuster nuts should be loosened whilst the bike is on the side stand. Then raise the bike onto the centre stand, adjust and align aiming for a slack between 35mm to 45mm, then place the bike down onto the side stand and tighten the axel and adjusters. Why would you need to loosen and tighten on the side stand and adjust on the centre stand? I've always loosened, adjusted and finally tightened all on the centre stand, then off onto the side stand for a final check. Your thoughts and practices will be appreciated please.

Thanks, Michael......

I think its just a safety thing ,,afraid you may tip bike over ,,but what boob would do all that ,,way too much work