Toll Road Tags

15 hours ago, TomTracer said:

It's a 2020 Tracer 900GT. The ktag looks like what KrustyKush shows stuck on his L headlight. Those tag holders aren't meant for the stickon type tag. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Thanks for clarifying what your tag look like. That is nothing like mine, which is a POS brick that measures about 6" x 1" x 1/2" for motorcycles, whilst on cars they are stick on labels that measure about 2.5" square with a small chip in the middle. They are to be attached close to the top edge of the windshield, behind the mirror (not on the headlights) in order to be seen by the receiver on the toll booth. Far more cars than bikes on the road (especially toll roads) so the revenue from bikes is minimal, yet cars get the more convenient sticker label type.

I have the brick mounted under the trim at the top of the gas tank, as far forward as I can get it. I had it mounted more rearward but the toll booth receiver and the arm of the parking garage at the office were both failing to see it. Works where it is now.

Our tags are tied one to each vehicle, so they should not really be moved from one to the other. I have a tag for each bike.

For the type of tag you have, where you hide it depends on where it can be seen. I would temporarily stick it on to something that can be moved (velcroed) from place to place and then see what is read and what is not. A tag that unsubstantial may be difficult to read when hidden. Good luck.

Edited by Grumpy Goat
Clarify the location where the transponder label is to be affixed.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

5 hours ago, bwringer said:

There are still lots of questions here...

- Does the sticker have to be backlit? Krusty said something like you're supposed to stick it to your headlight, and that's where his is. Seems like an absolutely terrible idea for many reasons, including the fact that blockin

In the nearly five years I've lived here in southern CA, I've seen a handful of different transponders.  Seems like they change now and again.  The newer ones are the stick-on types.  They are supposed to go onto the headlamp lens. The instructions that come in the mail with the transponder are extremely limited.  The diagrams assume a large headlamp lens, not the tiny beamers on the Tracer.  I doubt there is a requirement for backlighting, or any lighting at all.  I'm all but certain the thing would work in another location, but it might want to be up front and have no body materials in front of it, hence maybe why they specify the headlamp.  For sure the sticker does not affect the light intensity in any knowable way.  No more than a large bug splattered thereupon, and probably much less.

It sorta grinds me that the sticker is so visible to the naked eye in sunlight.  I should have tested it with masking tape in another location before I pulled the tape.

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

sorry, signs of frustration showing!  it's tough on us here knowing what's out there

also, I've not yet been able to ride and my recovery has been unusually slow and especially painful longer than anticipated

cracks in the veneer

No problem. Based on what I recall you were going through recovery wouldn't be fun. Hang tough. 

54 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

I doubt there is a requirement for backlighting, or any lighting at all.  

There isn't on the ones we have for cars, which have to be stuck on the windshield close to the top edge.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
On 7/1/2022 at 4:01 PM, KrustyKush said:

The newer ones are the stick-on types.  They are supposed to go onto the headlamp lens. The instructions that come in the mail with the transponder are extremely limited.  The diagrams assume a large headlamp lens, not the tiny beamers on the Tracer.

Check your Owners Manual. This is from the Niken manual, see notice at end of page...

Lights.jpg

I take that OM statement to mean no stick-ons that affect light “flow.”  It could also infer that an adhesive may adversely affect the lens material, although you have to read between the lines to worry about that. I have had these stick-ons on two bikes so far. The FLTRU (now sold) and this Yam. I never saw any damage to the lens from sticker adhesive. At same time I have not tried to remove one of these. Doubt that I would.  I certainly don’t advocate sticking it on the lens. I won’t do that again on a subsequent bike. Must also mention I have never had a non-read. 

9 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

I take that OM statement to mean no stick-ons that affect light “flow.”  It could also infer that an adhesive may adversely affect the lens material, although you have to read between the lines to worry about that. I have had these stick-ons on two bikes so far. The FLTRU (now sold) and this Yam. I never saw any damage to the lens from sticker adhesive. At same time I have not tried to remove one of these. Doubt that I would.  I certainly don’t advocate sticking it on the lens. I won’t do that again on a subsequent bike. Must also mention I have never had a non-read. 

Yup. I agree with that interpretation. If you've not seen any damage to the lens I doubt you will. Our car tags aren't delicate here. This is my 1st bike tag. The top front of the instrument surround looked like a good place to mount it but that spot has a dish to it and is textured making the tag adhesive come loose. I peeled the thing off and although it looked undamaged to me I got a replacement. Now I'm going to make a mount out of thin plexiglass and position it on the windscreen mount screws. Should be inconspicuous and secure. 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, KrustyKush said:

No failures is a good thing IMO, Stuck where the manual says no no or not. I re there is also warning to not put anything off the rear of the bike, like a tail rack or trunk. Lawyers being lawyers.

While I don't have a T9GT yet. I do have to deal with the *(&^*@(@#&^&* Okie Turnpike Auth and there ()&%@^Y$$%# Pikepass. On the Wing I throw the off white crap tech brick in the trunk and forget about it. I know the MT-09 has a tray under the saddle which is where I would put one on that bike. Not so sure about the T9GT. Maybe paint it semi gloss black and mount it above the goof troop inst. cluster. You do have to have one for every vehicle.

32 minutes ago, psyshack said:

While I don't have a T9GT yet. I do have to deal with the *(&^*@(@#&^&* Okie Turnpike Auth and there ()&%@^Y$$%# Pikepass. On the Wing I throw the off white crap tech brick in the trunk and forget about it. I know the MT-09 has a tray under the saddle which is where I would put one on that bike. Not so sure about the T9GT. Maybe paint it semi gloss black and mount it above the goof troop inst. cluster. You do have to have one for every vehicle.

Right. There aren't many times I ride Interstates yet alone toll roads. But there are times it'd be the quickest. 

Well, a couple mornings ago I woke up and peeled the transponder off my cornering lamp lens. It came off fairly easy. Just fingernail and fingertip rubbing. No damage whatever to lens either from the scraping/peeling or the adhesive.  I’m going to order a new transponder. I think they charge $20. I think I will stick it at the bottom of the windscreen. This windscreen isn’t going anywhere soon (I like it) and even if it does I will just order a new transponder. 

I've been thinking of that location on my MadStad. My State doesn't charge for the stick on type tag. We order on-line and provide the registration info. it comes already registered to the license plate #, and arrives in a few days. 

Thanks for your replies on topic.