Toll Road Tags

I've had toll road tags in my cars for years. Got one now for my bike. Don't want it on my helmet, have 3 I wear. Dont want it in my tank bag, dont always use it. Don't want it stuck onto my windscreen, might come loose, or get grabbed by some low life scumbag a--h--e. Where do you guys display your tag?

• Premium Member

We have transponders for our toll roads In Illinois it's called Ipass? Theyre a little thing that attaches with 3M lock grip and can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle as long as you've registered them to the account

Surrounding States sometimes Has reciprocity like Indiana and others

• Premium Member

I'm not sure this applies.

I live in Florida where we have "Sunpass" There are others but they are all compatible with sunpass. I have one sunpass transponder and account, but I have 4 vehicles attached to it.

I never move the transponder from vehicle to vehicle. When the vehicle I'm in or on goes through the automated without a transponder it reads your plate finds it has a sunpass account and charges the account. So far this is different than toll by plate as I have never been charged an "administration fee"  YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

That would be great. Thx. My state, KS.requires vehicle specific tags. I try to stay off of 4 lanes but once in a while it's necessary. Oh well, best solution for me may be put it on one helmet and wear it each trip.

Interesting for comparison.  Here in southern CA cars/motorcycles may have one of a few types of transponder.  For my Tracer they sent me a stick-on transponder that must go onto the headlight lens.  A problem for Tracer because of the new small projector type lamps.  So I stuck it on the left corner lamp lens.  I was immediately sorry I picked that location but can't un-do it without a hassle.  No idea where I would've stuck it if not there.image.jpeg.9f4e94f472fad5dc87ab814dfafc565b.jpeg

• Supporting Member

So, I’m not recommending this approach, but… I have a tag for my FJ (registered to the license plate), but for 6 years now it’s been in a box in the shop, and never has been attached to the bike.   Never been a problem, as the plate readers and automated processing system bills to my account just like if the transponder was in place.    

Not sure if other states are as easy about it, but many of my friends here in Texas do exactly the same thing.   Your mileage may vary, obviously… :) 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

As I stated, one transponder for several vehicles per account.  They cracked down here and only allow 5 plate reads a month, and I exceeded that twice last year because their scanners are lane-centered and real high for 18 wheelers, and weren't reading my transponder; usually at the same couple of toll locations.  I tried attaching it higher to the wind screen, to the horizontal cross plate between the pillion hand holds, in my tank bag and in a jacket pocket (which I think is a bit dodgy dangerous), and still I had to call an fight the fines.  They said I should wear it or get a new one.  But since Covid there's only one Oasis near me to trade it in at, a Jewel stopped selling them (and charged a $5 fee), and mailing it in is not an option with the wonderful USPS.

I haven't been able to ride yet this season but this thread reminded me I need to do something...sticking it on a helmet with 3M Scotchlock I guess is an option but I already have a Brakefree helmet IMU triggered brake light on the back, and adding another albeit small device will be dicey and add even more weight my herniated C5 & C6 will have that much more to complain about.

20210612_180354.jpg

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Where do you guys display your tag?

Without know what model Yamaha you currently ride it is difficult to suggest a location.

I clipped one on the horn bracket of my FJ-09. When riding the Niken I keep it in a breast pocket on my jacket. Works well.

Checkout the Universal Motorcycle Toll-Pass Mount

Toll Tag Holder

Also the SHAD SL01 TOLL PASS POUCH

Shad Toll Pouch

4 hours ago, TomTracer said:

I've had toll road tags in my cars for years. Got one now for my bike. Don't want it on my helmet, have 3 I wear. Dont want it in my tank bag, dont always use it. Don't want it stuck onto my windscreen, might come loose, or get grabbed by some low life scumbag a--h--e. Where do you guys display your tag?

What does your "tag" (transponder?) look like? I ask because you mentioned not wanting to stick it on your helmet. The kind we have in Harris County you don't stick to your helmet. My answer would depend on your response.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

2 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Without know what model Yamaha you currently ride it is difficult to suggest a location.

I clipped one on the horn bracket of my FJ-09. When riding the Niken I keep it in a breast pocket on my jacket. Works well.

Checkout the Universal Motorcycle Toll-Pass Mount

Toll Tag Holder

Also the SHAD SL01 TOLL PASS POUCH

Shad Toll Pouch

It's a 2020 Tracer 900GT. The ktag looks like what KrustyKush shows stuck on his L headlight. Those tag holders aren't meant for the stickon type tag. Thanks for everyone's comments.

3 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

You all are reminding me why I like to ride in Wyoming and South Dakota and Montana 🙂

Agree. I stay off interstates. You've ridden where I live. MR, WY, ID, CO, UT, AR are great!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TomTracer said:

Agree. I stay off interstates. You've ridden where I live. MR, WY, ID, CO, UT, AR are great!

We all don't have the option.  Major metro Midwest and eastern populations are the nation's economic engines without which the sparsely populated and developed states could not survive on their limited tax base and productivity, and stay as clean and prestine.  Otherwise they'd also had to have raped and poluted the land significantly more in order to survive.  And where are your native peoples, do they share in your prosperity and bountiful indiscretions?

Just asking... 😎