Toll Road Tags

As 2 and 3 Cylinders said we only get five pics per month without an I-Pass transponder before getting fined.  I ended up getting two one for the auto and one for the bike.  I found the perfect spot to mount the transponder on the 21 T9GT, the part that goes over the tank in front is pretty open on the inside, I covered the transponder in black tape and using the 3M lock attached it there.  So far it has remained there for over a year and is not noticeable at all.  It works at every toll reader and Skyway as far as I can tell.

1 minute ago, OldBikers said:

As 2 and 3 Cylinders said we only get five pics per month without an I-Pass transponder before getting fined.  I ended up getting two one for the auto and one for the bike.  I found the perfect spot to mount the transponder on the 21 T9GT, the part that goes over the tank in front is pretty open on the inside, I covered the transponder in black tape and using the 3M lock attached it there.  So far it has remained there for over a year and is not noticeable at all.  It works at every toll reader and Skyway as far as I can tell.

Thx. I'll take a look. I may also look for some clear plastic to mount on the MadStad bracing with the tag onside.

46 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Never had a toll road transponder, never will.

This just doesn't work for real life in many parts of the country.

Most of us in this thread are talking about solutions for the radio transponders a la iPass/E-ZPass. The iPass/E-ZPass transponder is a little plastic widget that is actually pretty easy to deal with, allows multiple vehicles, can be stuck in a tank bag or velcroed to assorted surfaces, and there are even little holders you can get to clamp to the handlebars, etc.

The OP appears to be stuck with some sort of optical system with some sort of sticker that is specific to only one vehicle? I'm having trouble picturing what it is or what the "rules" for usage are.

More details, please. Most of us are not from KC.

Edited by bwringer

12 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

Interesting for comparison.  Here in southern CA cars/motorcycles may have one of a few types of transponder.  For my Tracer they sent me a stick-on transponder that must go onto the headlight lens.  A problem for Tracer because of the new small projector type lamps.  So I stuck it on the left corner lamp lens.  I was immediately sorry I picked that location but can't un-do it without a hassle.  No idea where I would've stuck it if not there.image.jpeg.9f4e94f472fad5dc87ab814dfafc565b.jpeg

That's an interesting transponder.  It looks like the little gray square is the electronics and the sine wave line is the antenna.

• Thumbsup 1

11 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Thx. I'll take a look. I may also look for some clear plastic to mount on the MadStad bracing with the tag onside.

A friend of mine had his in one of those holders and it flew off when he hit a large bump.  Be sure you get one with a very tight fit or vel-cro it in place.

15 minutes ago, OldBikers said:

A friend of mine had his in one of those holders and it flew off when he hit a large bump.  Be sure you get one with a very tight fit or vel-cro it in place.

Right. I'll use the screen mounting screws. Should be secure from falling off or theft.

25 minutes ago, bwringer said:

This just doesn't work for real life in many parts of the country.

Most of us in this thread are talking about solutions for the radio transponders a la iPass/E-ZPass. The iPass/E-ZPass transponder is a little plastic widget that is actually pretty easy to deal with, allows multiple vehicles, can be stuck in a tank bag or velcroed to assorted surfaces, and there are even little holders you can get to clamp to the handlebars, etc.

The OP appears to be stuck with some sort of optical system with some sort of sticker that is specific to only one vehicle? I'm having trouble picturing what it is or what the "rules" for usage are.

More details, please. Most of us are not from KC.

The Ktag is very much like KrustyKush shows in his post above. It is issued specific to a vehicle/license plate. It's not the larger encased passes of old, and differs from car passes. I don't want it stuck on my helmet. I have 3. As some here said earlier inside a tank bag works sometimes. Don't know what else to say about it!!

• Thumbsup 1

23 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

The Ktag is very much like KrustyKush shows in his post above. It is issued specific to a vehicle/license plate. It's not the larger encased passes of old, and differs from car passes. I don't want it stuck on my helmet. I have 3. As some here said earlier inside a tank bag works sometimes. Don't know what else to say about it!!

There are still lots of questions here...

- Does the sticker have to be backlit? Krusty said something like you're supposed to stick it to your headlight, and that's where his is. Seems like an absolutely terrible idea for many reasons, including the fact that blocking headlight lenses in any way is generally not legal, and possible effects from the adhesive or adhesive residue on the plastic, the amount of heat produced by the headlight (even an LED), etc. (The KTag video below does not mention headlights, and it appears to be an RFID system, not optical.)

- If not, what colors of background are acceptable? (The video says it must be on a plastic surface, but no word on color; sounds like it's an RFID system, not optical).

- What kinds of angles are acceptable? Nothing in the video on this.

- Does it have to be front-facing, rear-facing, or what? Can it be on the side? (No word in the video)

- Does it have to be oriented horizontally? (Looks like yes.)

- How low can you place the sticker? No word in the video.

- What are the dimensions of the sticker? (Dunno; looks fairly small.)

- How flat does it have to be? Can it be mounted to a curved surface? (no word in the video, but helmets and windshields are always curved)

- There's talk of mounting it to a helmet. Does it have to be up high? Is there a minimum distance from lighting? Can it be on the side of the helmet? Front? Rear?

If it can be in the rear but lower, maybe something like a license plate frame would work. Or maybe some sort of plastic bracket mounted somewhere. I would NOT stick to to any of the stock bodywork, or to a windshield.

There are lots of possible solutions, but we don't know the parameters.

All I could find is this crappy extremely vague video. They do mention that you can use "hard case tags" on motorcycles placed inside a non-metallic bag.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, OldBikers said:

As 2 and 3 Cylinders said we only get five pics per month without an I-Pass transponder before getting fined.

Honestly, that's a reasonable policy... I'm surprised that the local toll road authority has never said anything to me about it.   I think I saw a vague invoice note several years ago to the effect that "one of your tags may not be properly affixed to your vehicle".     It didn't even say which of the eight tags I have registered it was for...

I'm going to see if there's a better option now for a transponder for the bikes than there was 6 years ago.   The default auto tags here are a thick laminated paper with an embedded chip that mounts from the inside of the windshield.  Per the website: "Certain vehicles with a high metallic content in their windshields and/or motorcycles may require a specialized EZ TAG. Please contact Customer Service."   Ah yes, contacting Customer Service for a state agency always goes well... :)   I'll keep you posted.

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Please contact Customer Service."   Ah yes, contacting Customer Service for a state agency always goes well... :)   I'll keep you posted.

Better hope you don't have any plans for the rest of the afternoon as you sit on hold. 🤬

• Sad 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I thought we were talking about the standard transponder when I replied earlier. This thread made me look for a place on the Niken to put one. It stayed in place on a 100 mile run this morning.

GT iPass.jpg

2 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

I thought we were talking about the standard transponder when I replied earlier. This thread made me look for a place on the Niken to put one. It stayed in place on a 100 mile run this morning.

GT iPass.jpg

I mis-wrote. That big suckered wouldn't be a problem.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, TomTracer said:

I spent lots of my life in IL. Wasn't talking about anything except where I really like to ride when I can. No lecture needed!

sorry, signs of frustration showing!  it's tough on us here knowing what's out there

also, I've not yet been able to ride and my recovery has been unusually slow and especially painful longer than anticipated

cracks in the veneer

6 hours ago, OldBikers said:

That's an interesting transponder.  It looks like the little gray square is the electronics and the sine wave line is the antenna.

Yeah, probably what it is.  The ones for cars look different; those stick on the windshield just under the rear view.  

This type for the bike worked a lot better on the large Harley headlamp lens.  Yam doesn't give us a lot of glass real estate.  I could probably have stuck it anywhere and it would work just fine.  If there is a next time, I will try it.