Jump to content

Considering a Tracer


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Sunde said:

Being correct makes me correct lol. 
I am confused as to how hard this is for you guys to compute, i am not nativly english so that may be it.
 If you truthfully believe that the Tracer 900 is "jUsT aS g000d" as the T9, that the improvements to the engine, electronics, suspension etc are just "incremental" and "not worth buying" comapared to "X beloved Tracer 900"
Then fine
You are just giving bad advice to people, you do you lmao.

Your opinion holds value as much as ours. So to say someone's opinion is wrong but your opinion is correct is arrogant.

There are many forum members who are reporting issues and dislikes about their Tracer 9 GT. It definitely steered me away from one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ItsRichieRich said:

Your opinion holds value as much as ours. So to say someone's opinion is wrong but your opinion is correct is arrogant.

There are many forum members who are reporting issues and dislikes about their Tracer 9 GT. It definitely steered me away from one.


its not opinion if its literally in the stats sheet of the motorcycle??
The T9 is an upgraded Tracer 900, stating anything other than this is in fact arrogant.
Although this is not a new trend, back when i owned a CB650 and the CB650R was released, many of the "old" CB owners were quick to defend their older bike and nitpick the newer (improved bike). Very unnessesary trend but alas. Luckily only very few people feel this need, otherwise we'd have to deal with even more useless "ugly Tracer 9 dash" threads lmao. 

Addressing the people with "dislikes" of the T9, i'd wager 99% of the same dislikes holds true had they owned a Tracer 900. I'd love for anyone to challenge that statement however. 
Except obviously if their dislikes included things like lack of stability at speed (improved on the T9), lack of power (unlikely but still improved on the T9), lack of high end electronics/gadgets (improved on the T9) better handeling / suspension (improved on the T9) etc etc. 

Nothing wrong with liking the Tracer 900, but factually the T9 is marginally better in the ways that should matter to most riders. (engine, handeling, electronics). Not going into looks as that is obviously personal preference. 

Edited by Sunde
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup it's all about personal preference/experience, but the new variant has for sure had some teething issues for more than a few members here. There is nothing about the new model that would make me want one over my 2020, plus I don't care for the looks of it either "also personal preference". Ride what you like and like what you ride, otherwise there are plenty of great choices out there. 

  • Thumbsup 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

 There is nothing about the new model that would make me want one over my 2020

Ok Then GIFs | Tenor

Up to you of course.
I dont agree with it all being up to personal preference/experience, luckily we dont have to agree.

@Larry1096 And luckily you can make up your own mind as to which direction to take.

Just know OP that regardless of what you are told in here, all the issues with the T9 that it did have at release have been fixed (recalled etc). If you want the latest and greatest the T9 is probably what you should be looking for. Happy with giving up on mostly small, a few bigger generational improvements + save some bucks the Tracer 900 is a great bike too. 

Oh and for the love of god, regardless of which generation of Tracer you get, consider a different windscreen or some form of spoiler. It really will make your life better. Height/helmet/seating position all matters it seems as some people have luck with different mods. I only needed a spoiler/screen extender to solve the issue on my bike, but your milage may vary. 

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So wife and I just got back from little over 3 hour ride in Northern Ca from inland to coast. I have a 22 Tracer GT, replaced my 15 FJR-09. Like others have said the c3 engine and quick shifter are best in the business for 900cc segment. Suspension is a lot better over older versions. Wife and I are at max level (425) with luggage so its pushing it but find the bike very stable and great cutter through mtns. We are both in our early 50's and bike gets a little uncomfortable after an hour but we just stop and stretch our legs. It's a great bike for the money but a little crowded 2 up riding but definitely doable with some stops.

 

Hope this helps with you decision. 

  • Thumbsup 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Sunde said:

Ok Then GIFs | Tenor

Up to you of course.
I dont agree with it all being up to personal preference/experience,
luckily we dont have to agree.

@Larry1096 And luckily you can make up your own mind as to which direction to take.

Just know OP that regardless of what you are told in here, all the issues with the T9 that it did have at release have been fixed (recalled etc). If you want the latest and greatest the T9 is probably what you should be looking for. Happy with giving up on mostly small, a few bigger generational improvements + save some bucks the Tracer 900 is a great bike too. 

Oh and for the love of god, regardless of which generation of Tracer you get, consider a different windscreen or some form of spoiler. It really will make your life better. Height/helmet/seating position all matters it seems as some people have luck with different mods. I only needed a spoiler/screen extender to solve the issue on my bike, but your milage may vary. 

That made me laugh because it makes zero sense, also many here still own the original FJ-09 so I reckon it is all up to personal preference/experience? ;) We are thrilled you love your bike so much, especially if it gets you out riding more. :) 

 

Just would like to reiterate to the OP and anyone else who will read this considering a new 9GT, is that not everything is better than the original FJ-09 or the 900 GT, but yes some improvements/enhancements were for sure made in the eyes of some. They also didn't fix some things which needed addressed as well, but hey there is always the next models coming out eh?

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

That made me laugh because it makes zero sense, also many here still own the original FJ-09 so I reckon it is all up to personal preference/experience? ;) We are thrilled you love your bike so much, especially if it gets you out riding more. :) 

 

Just would like to reiterate to the OP and anyone else who will read this considering a new 9GT, is that not everything is better than the original FJ-09 or the 900 GT, but yes some improvements/enhancements were for sure made in the eyes of some. They also didn't fix some things which needed addressed as well, but hey there is always the next models coming out eh?

We Are Laughing GIFs | Tenor

Very fun indeed!
I personally cant really get on board with how you make the older generation seem equal to the new one somehow.
"some improvements/enhancements were for sure made in the eyes of some"
personally i'd argue that you know, increased stabilily, better engine characteristics, better suspension, better (safer) eletronics etc. are improvements in the eyes of EVERYONE haha, except 2020- Tracer 900 owners maybe?

You personally said yourself "There is nothing about the new model that would make me want one over my 2020"
That is indeed an interesting statement seeing as there are MANY ways in which the T9 has improved on the Tracer 900.
 I am yet to find a way in which it has become WORSE, but apparently you know just how much worse the T9 in fact is compared to the Tracer 900 (in some aspects) i get that you dont think the T9 is an outright downgrade. But the way you are arguing the case for the tracer 900, it sure seems like you think there are people that would think the 900 would somehow be the better bike compared to the T9, i'd really like to know in which ways that would be.

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sunde said:

there are people that would think the 900 would somehow be the better bike compared to the T9, i'd really like to know in which ways that would be.

Value for Money!!!

It has been interesting reading through this topic even though it has drifted away from the OP. I have had My 17 reg MT 09 Tracer for 4 years now. On the test ride I experienced the WOW factor, it felt so much better and exciting in every way from the Honda CBF1000 I had at the time that I was desperate to empty my bank account to "upgrade" and get a Tracer. When I had changed into my "Sensible Hat" rather than pay £11,000 for a new bike I went instead for a 20 month old, Low mileage pre loved example priced at £7,000 by the time I had sold My Honda it had cost me £5,400 to change my bike. If I wanted to change my bike today for a new T9 I would expect to have to give the stealership my bike and about £7,000. now as much as the new T9 might be better in many ways In My opinion and to be honest when it comes to my bike that's the only one that counts it isn't £7,000 better. You do your research you ask opinions  and you make a decision that suits you best But I'll be keeping my bike for a good few years more.

  • Thumbsup 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Value for Money!!!

It has been interesting reading through this topic even though it has drifted away from the OP. I have had My 17 reg MT 09 Tracer for 4 years now. On the test ride I experienced the WOW factor, it felt so much better and exciting in every way from the Honda CBF1000 I had at the time that I was desperate to empty my bank account to "upgrade" and get a Tracer. When I had changed into my "Sensible Hat" rather than pay £11,000 for a new bike I went instead for a 20 month old, Low mileage pre loved example priced at £7,000 by the time I had sold My Honda it had cost me £5,400 to change my bike. If I wanted to change my bike today for a new T9 I would expect to have to give the stealership my bike and about £7,000. now as much as the new T9 might be better in many ways In My opinion and to be honest when it comes to my bike that's the only one that counts it isn't £7,000 better. You do your research you ask opinions  and you make a decision that suits you best But I'll be keeping my bike for a good few years more.

I completely agree with everything you'v stated. I feel like i'v made that clear in my responses, price isn't what this is about. 
I would NEVER buy a T9 if i owned one of the older generations in good condition. 
The argument that i am having with a few of the users in this thread is that they are trying to sell the previous generations in a way that makes them sound superior to the T9+ generation, which i find frankly absurd.
And to which i am yet to recieve convicing arguments other than "There is nothing about the new model that would make me want one over my 2020"
or  "forum members who are reporting issues and dislikes about their Tracer 9 GT"
 It strange because the new generation is NOT a new bike, its just incremental upgrades.
Had Yamaha totally changed the Tracer i could understand why you could have users prefering the old model.
But as it stands its basically just Tracer 9 = more better at everything. Yet you have comments brushing this aside as "upgrades that cater to personal preference"... Like yeah? IF your personal preference is an overall BETTER motorcycle, i think 99.99% of all bikers would recommend the "upgraded version" IF someone wants to buy a new bike. 

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Sunde said:

It strange because the new generation is NOT a new bike, its just incremental upgrades.
Had Yamaha totally changed the Tracer i could understand why you could have users prefering the old model.

But Yamaha DID change the Tracer9 from the 900 and the 2021 and 2022 models ARE a completely new bike compared to the 2020 model... or am I misinterpreting what you were meaning to say?

As far as "new and improved" does new automatically mean better? to me -NO.  A lot of "better" is subjective, is a longer swingarm "better" or is it new for 2021?  You might like it and I might hate it, who is correct?  Is adding an IMU "better"? to me its just more stuff.  How about new electronic suspension? you don't have to adjust it, is that better? maybe to you but to me I want more than just hard and soft settings.  On every other Yamaha model with ES they have a menu interface that lets you adjust it to YOUR preference, on the Tracer9 they give you hard and soft or ride and sport or whatever they call it.  The new model is rumored to have radar assist adaptive cruise control though how many will disable it and use standard set it and forget it CC?  New isnt necessarily better for everyone.

  • Thumbsup 7

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, betoney said:

But Yamaha DID change the Tracer9 from the 900 and the 2021 and 2022 models ARE a completely new bike compared to the 2020 model... or am I misinterpreting what you were meaning to say?

As far as "new and improved" does new automatically mean better? to me -NO.  A lot of "better" is subjective, is a longer swingarm "better" or is it new for 2021?  You might like it and I might hate it, who is correct?  Is adding an IMU "better"? to me its just more stuff.  How about new electronic suspension? you don't have to adjust it, is that better? maybe to you but to me I want more than just hard and soft settings.  On every other Yamaha model with ES they have a menu interface that lets you adjust it to YOUR preference, on the Tracer9 they give you hard and soft or ride and sport or whatever they call it.  The new model is rumored to have radar assist adaptive cruise control though how many will disable it and use standard set it and forget it CC?  New isnt necessarily better for everyone.

I just disagree immensly with this logic
 First point, no its not a new bike.
-Still CP3 engine.
-Same ergonomics. 
-Largely same characteristics (handeling/styling/practicality).
-Same crappy windscreen issues 💩
Its not like they went from a Multistrada type bike to a Ducati Supersport S (both performance/tourers afaik) 
They just upgraded the Tracer 900, yes they made "big changes" but if you ride the Tracer 900 and T9 back to back you will feel them being similar (at least i did), and as far as i can tell from reviewers its not like they made a big deal out of saying just how much the T9 isn't like the Tracer 900.

Secondly...

" as far as "new and improved" does new automatically mean better?"
I mean... This is a really strange question in the context of the discussion. Because obviously the changes to the new T9 have made it safer and faster, this is pretty indisputable i'd argue. 
With this established would you really argue that the T9 is not a better motorcycle? If a newcommer somehow gets the greatest deal on earth and can pick between a 0 miles Tracer 900 or a 0 miles T9, would you tell them hey by the way!
-The ECU is not an upgrade
-The engine upgrades are somehow not actual improvements
-That the extra tech / suspension etc. is in fact not desireable.
 I really very much doubt you would. 
So what this argument really boils down to then i assume is if you + a couple others personally want a T9. Evidently you dont, you justify why you dont think its worth it to you. Fair game, but saying "new isn't better for everyone" is really hard to swallow if new is again a safer, faster vehicle. 

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, betoney said:

New isnt necessarily better for everyone.

I agree with everything you just said, @betoney.  My '15 does me just fine.  I don't even really have want or need for an ECU flash.  I can see tuning or otherwise rebuilding some aspects of the suspension, but I've read that others seem to like it fine.  I've no need for a longer swingarm; I'll never reach speeds where that would matter - so, I'll take the slightly more agile handling around the city in return.  Works for me.  CC would be a nice to have, but it's not a need to have - a throttle lock is good enough.

As mentioned, it's all subjective.  No one can say which generation is 'best', only what features & price work best for them.  All things considered, IMHO no matter which generation you choose, based on features and personal preferences, you really can't go wrong.  They're all great bikes.  So, it's up to the OP to ask the right questions, learn about what each model features.  Everything else is opinion.

  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, knyte said:

I agree with everything you just said, @betoney.  My '15 does me just fine.  I don't even really have want or need for an ECU flash.  I can see tuning or otherwise rebuilding some aspects of the suspension, but I've read that others seem to like it fine.  I've no need for a longer swingarm; I'll never reach speeds where that would matter - so, I'll take the slightly more agile handling around the city in return.  Works for me.  CC would be a nice to have, but it's not a need to have - a throttle lock is good enough.

As mentioned, it's all subjective.  No one can say which generation is 'best', only what features & price work best for them.  All things considered, IMHO no matter which generation you choose, based on features and personal preferences, you really can't go wrong.  They're all great bikes.  So, it's up to the OP to ask the right questions, learn about what each model features.  Everything else is opinion.

 My '15 does me just fine. 
I'll never reach speeds where that would matter
it's all subjective

No one can say which generation is 'best'
I tried to look for this fat guy for a while on google as "sad smile guy"  and that's the closest thing I got. any help? do you know the guy? -


I'd 100% agree if we were just talking some bells n' whistels being the difference. But when the vehicle is safer to operate and faster/smoother to boot and also has nicer bells n' whistels, i need arguments like this No one can say which generation is 'best' to die of death. 

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member

More bells and whistles equate to what, exactly?  Safety?? While ppl fiddle with menu wheels that tend to fall apart, for unnecessary features?  Squint at displays that are too small?  No thanks.

What, exactly, makes newer models, as you insist, "safer"?  It's still subjective.

  • Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Sunde said:

I just disagree immensly with this logic
 First point, no its not a new bike.
-Still CP3 engine.
-Same ergonomics. 
-Largely same characteristics (handeling/styling/practicality).
-Same crappy windscreen issues 💩
Its not like they went from a Multistrada type bike to a Ducati Supersport S (both performance/tourers afaik) 
They just upgraded the Tracer 900, yes they made "big changes" but if you ride the Tracer 900 and T9 back to back you will feel them being similar (at least i did), and as far as i can tell from reviewers its not like they made a big deal out of saying just how much the T9 isn't like the Tracer 900.

I think you are getting into a matter of defining terms now. 

The Tracer 900GT has different body work and styling and a slightly longer swingarm vs the previous FJ09, but the wheels, engine, frame, and most of the electronics are the same. 

The newest Tracer9 has almost every single part changed or redesigned from the ground up.  Technically you could say that they just upgraded or redesigned every single part of the old bike or- since its all completely new, you could simply say that its a "new" Tracer.  I guess its down to semantics.

  • Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×