Considering a Tracer

I got my FJ-09 for the same reason. My K1200GT is great for all day travel but a little porky, my SV650 is a barrel of monkeys fun, but I've outgrown the days where I can do 10 hour days. I'll just say that I still have both the K and the SV, because the FJ didn't replace the function of the other two. It added a third dimension to my stable, but I still have the need for all. In a couple of days I'm taking it on the longest ride yet (maybe 4-5k miles in 12 days), so I'll have a better sense on how it does as a touring bike).  But generally speaking, I'm leaning more towards selling the FJ and the K bike and going with a 1250RS, and making the hybrid at the touring side of sport touring. 

• Thumbsup 4

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Right now, just looking at the '22 Tracer 9 GT. The other bikes look like great fun, but my FZ-1 has got the 'great fun' part covered...I'm looking more for an all-rounder at this point, with the hope of replacing both bikes.

Appreciate all the info-

Larry

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, maximo said:

In a couple of days I'm taking it on the longest ride yet (maybe 4-5k miles in 12 days), so I'll have a better sense on how it does as a touring bike).

What destination did you decide on?  Still going to Colorado?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

15 hours ago, Larry1096 said:

Right now, just looking at the '22 Tracer 9 GT. The other bikes look like great fun, but my FZ-1 has got the 'great fun' part covered...I'm looking more for an all-rounder at this point, with the hope of replacing both bikes.

Appreciate all the info-

Larry

Why the Tracer 9 GT over the Tracer 900 GT?

3 hours ago, Larry1096 said:

I've heard they upgraded the suspension and handling quite a bit, along with the 'gizmos'; is that not correct?

Larry

Still not sorted out yet from more than a few members here, I'd look at an 18-20 GT or another bike IMHO. As much as I love my 20GT, I have serious lust for a new BMW R1250RS.

• Thumbsup 1

I didn't intend to write so much but here are my thoughts:

For some perspective on where I'm coming from.  Had a 2012 CBR600RR then a 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 ABS.  Both were stellar sport bikes and for me way more power than needed on the street but so much fun and racer sharp reflexes and brakes.  Just had to think about dropping into a corner and they did.  Power was great, not so much torque at lower revs but once the tach went north of 8 or 9 thousand it was wahoo here we come!  Took some ability and experience to wring the max out of them but that was part of the fun.  That and the scream of an I4 turing 15,000 RPM.  I like lighter weight bikes and don't want a big heavy touring bike.  When I retired I traded the ZX6R for a BMW F800GT.  It dropped into corners just like the ZX6R and had great brakes.  Suspension was not a good but it was so soft and comfy compared to the ZX6R.  The power and sound just weren't there.  It also had a heat issue but we had a great couple of years together and 30,000 miles and I have some fond memories of great trips on that bike.  I traded it for a 2020 Tracer 900GT.  It is still not a heavy bike and drops into corners well.  Suspension isn't the greatest but good enough to be entertaining on most roads.  It is always a balance between handling and comfort setups.  

I don't think the 2019 and 2020 GT's are good 2 up bikes without some suspension work - specifically springs and a rear shock minimum.  Looks like Yamaha is steadily morphing the old FJ into a nice midsized sport touring bike.  Power is more than enough to get into lots of trouble but if you are wanting to run 150+ MPH down the interstate it's not for you.  I put 18,000 miles on mine in the first year and have lots of miles ranging from all day runs on mostly straight roads to playing in the mountains out west.  It is not perfect but comfortable enough to do the long rides getting there and still be nimble and sporty enough to carve the mountain roads once there or if you happen to encounter some along the way.  I'm starting to think the weakness of the Tracer GT is it's a wonderful bike and aside from the CP3 engine has no singular outstanding trait.  That makes a great bike but one that sometimes is overlooked.  I seriously considered the Ninja 1000 and the Suzuki GSX F1000S or whatever the faired version was called a few years ago.  I don't particularly need to power of a liter motor.  BMW 1250RS interests me but two problems - weight and BMW.  Too many service issues and too much cost.  The new Suzuki jasllsdfjsdafiojdf GT version is really a great bike but no center stand.  For a long trip I really want a center stand.  Have tire go?  Put it on the center stand and pull the wheel off and get it replaced.  Lube the chain - put it on the center stand and lube it.  Is it essential?  No but is very handy.  So I come back to the Tracer GT and it checks all the boxes.  

Not hating on BMW but the costs can be significant if you don't do your own wrenching and parts and service can be an issue.  I've looked at the RS several times since the 1050RS I think it was.  I've looked at KTMs and then hear the stories about warranty and reliability issues.  Ducatis are beautiful bikes but dealers are not as many and there can be reliability issues.  I wind up every time back to a Japanese bike as reliable and repairable without breaking the bank.  My BMW F800GT was very reliable outside of service caused issues and a good bike.  It did have a big problem with heat on my inner thighs when the temps were above 90 and running interstate speeds and I wanted more power.   It was OK on power but I wanted more zing in passing situations at higher speeds.  So back to the Tracer GT, no heat issues, plenty of power, heck almost boring power in that it is very linear and has power all over.  Bike can do the interstate grinds and be fun in the mountains so a great bike IMO.

• Thumbsup 1

42 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

My BMW F800GT was very reliable outside of service caused issues and a good bike.  It did have a big problem with heat on my inner thighs when the temps were above 90 and running interstate speeds and I wanted more power.   It was OK on power but I wanted more zing in passing situations at higher speeds.  

As an ex-BMWF800GT owner I couldn't agree more!   I sometimes mused that putting the CP3 motor and gearbox into an F800GT everything else would have made a marvellous bike, belt-drive 'n' all!

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I drove a 5-Series BMW (auto) for years...and will never, ever, in a MILLION years, own another BMW product.

They could literally GIVE them away, and I would refuse to take one. Seriously one of the most infuriating companies to deal with I've ever encountered.

Larry

12 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Still not sorted out yet from more than a few members here, I'd look at an 18-20 GT or another bike IMHO. As much as I love my 20GT, I have serious lust for a new BMW R1250RS.

No idea who says this 
The electronics are better on the 2021+ T9
The suspension idk, its really good on the base T9, haven't tried the GT.
The frame is better (more sporty but still comfy) just mechanically better designed.
Engine is improved (it is noticeable and worth it) This includes throttle response.
All in all the T9 is in every single conceivable way a BETTER motorcycle than the 2020 Tracer 900 etc. Anyone who says otherwise are just not talking truth.
 The dash being the only point i guess someone can nitpick about, but again if you cant "use" the T9 dash you shouldn't be on a motorcycle, you are borederline blind if thats the case. 

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Sunde said:

No idea who says this 
The electronics are better on the 2021+ T9
The suspension idk, its really good on the base T9, haven't tried the GT.
The frame is better (more sporty but still comfy) just mechanically better designed.
Engine is improved (it is noticeable and worth it) This includes throttle response.
All in all the T9 is in every single conceivable way a BETTER motorcycle than the 2020 Tracer 900 etc. Anyone who says otherwise are just not talking truth.
 The dash being the only point i guess someone can nitpick about, but again if you cant "use" the T9 dash you shouldn't be on a motorcycle, you are borederline blind if thats the case. 

It's all over the forum. LOL

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Ride365 said:

It's all over the forum. LOL

Thats your response?
How does that make anything i just said wrong? 
I mean okay, we now know "LOTS" of people on the forum (allegedly) are unable to see the many ways in which the T9 has been upgraded compared to the Tracer 900, fair. 
But that still does not make them correct lol. 

Edited by Sunde

54 minutes ago, Sunde said:

Thats your response?
How does that make anything i just said wrong? 
I mean okay, we now know "LOTS" of people on the forum (allegedly) are unable to see the many ways in which the T9 has been upgraded compared to the Tracer 900, fair. 
But that still does not make them correct lol. 

In argument, how does that make you correct?

45 minutes ago, ItsRichieRich said:

In argument, how does that make you correct?

Being correct makes me correct lol. 
I am confused as to how hard this is for you guys to compute, i am not nativly english so that may be it.
 If you truthfully believe that the Tracer 900 is "jUsT aS g000d" as the T9, that the improvements to the engine, electronics, suspension etc are just "incremental" and "not worth buying" comapared to "X beloved Tracer 900"
Then fine
You are just giving bad advice to people, you do you lmao.