GPS Mount option

Bike is stored so it's time for shopping.  I've been looking for GPS mounting options and found this.  Kind of a derivation on a previous bracket.  Screwing the GPS cradle directly to the mount should make the GPS more stable than a ball/arm/cradle setup.

Anyone using one of these?

https://www.amazon.ca/xitomer-Bracket-Tracer-Motorcycle-Navigation/dp/B0BF9P3LFD/ref=sr_1_14?crid=1NIBROGONXVYD&keywords=gps+mount+tracer+900&qid=1671549245&sprefix=gps+mount+tracer+900%2Caps%2C105&sr=1-14&vehicle=2019-1210-27127-20-----19253------1&vehicleName=2019+Yamaha+Tracer+900+GT

gps.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Yes I'm using this GPS mount for my Zumo XT.  I bought my mount though from ebay after watching someone with the older version on YT. Looks like the same mount so not sure if its the same maker or someone who used the design to market on Amazon.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203880709998?hash=item2f783cbf6e%3Ag%3A8LgAAOSwwqhicq0S

Also I used blue locktite to make sure the nuts held in place.

1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

Here's what I did:

Sacrificed a quadlock bicycle mount to make it, but it's nice and shallow.
https://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/shop-mounts/products/bike-mount?variant=179963062

I'm partial to having it closer to my line of sight.  Similar to my Honda's setup.  Much of the time, I just use the GPS as a speedo.  Nice to have it easy to see.

mount.jpg

2 hours ago, robzilla said:

Yes I'm using this GPS mount for my Zumo XT.  I bought my mount though from ebay after watching someone with the older version on YT. Looks like the same mount so not sure if its the same maker or someone who used the design to market on Amazon.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203880709998?hash=item2f783cbf6e%3Ag%3A8LgAAOSwwqhicq0S

Also I used blue locktite to make sure the nuts held in place.

That's awesome.  Is it good and stable?  Is it easy to reach the screen height adjustment?

I find that using a ball/arm setup is much more susceptible to the unit being shaken around.  Running rough backroads on my Honda can make the GPS very difficult to see clearly.

Edited by Heavy
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Heavy said:

That's awesome.  Is it good and stable?  Is it easy to reach the screen height adjustment?

I find that using a ball/arm setup is much more susceptible to the unit being shaken around.  Running rough backroads on my Honda can make the GPS very difficult to see clearly.

Yea it's pretty good and stable holding up my Zumo XT. But with the GPS in place, it's kind of hard to make screen adjustments, so i try to do that before the ride or at stops. Without the GPS, it's definitely adjustable.

The one thing is depending on the speed and the screen set at it it's highest position, most of the time GPS is stable and readable, but at freeway speeds plus heavier crosswinds, it can get a bit of vibration. It's manageable and not too concerning, just make sure whatever GPS you use and how heavy it is to add a lanyard or something to tether it just in case. I haven't had it pop out or anything but just be aware and safe.

• Thumbsup 1

46 minutes ago, robzilla said:

Yea it's pretty good and stable holding up my Zumo XT. But with the GPS in place, it's kind of hard to make screen adjustments, so i try to do that before the ride or at stops. Without the GPS, it's definitely adjustable.

The one thing is depending on the speed and the screen set at it it's highest position, most of the time GPS is stable and readable, but at freeway speeds plus heavier crosswinds, it can get a bit of vibration. It's manageable and not too concerning, just make sure whatever GPS you use and how heavy it is to add a lanyard or something to tether it just in case. I haven't had it pop out or anything but just be aware and safe.

Thanks.  I'm running a ZUMO 396 LMT-S.  I've bounced my CRF250 Rally all over the place and the stock Garmin cradle hasn't let me down.  I would NEVER subject my GT to the same roads/trails.  😉

• Thumbsup 1

16 minutes ago, wanderer said:

What do ya'll do for theft security of the GPS? Just take it with you when you leave the bike? That would feel like a nuisance to me, but it is an obvious high value target.  

It's only a few seconds to mount/dismount, same as my phone. But depending on ride tour locations (between WA, OR, ID and Canada) and how long I'm taking a break & visible sight  I'll leave it on. Otherwise, doesn't take any effort to take off and mount again.

Nice! I saw that awhile ago as I have a MotoPump.

I would get it but with the rotating mount already installed, my GPS setup was complete.

PS

Here's the rotating swivel mount since the Zumo XT can work either landscape or portrait mode.

https://touratech-usa.com/store/Swivel-Adapter-GPS-Motorcycle-Mounts

Edited by robzilla

• Supporting Member

Mounted one of these for my Zumo...it's solid and is well within my line of sight.  Yes, it's on a ball mount, but it's never been vibrate-y or floppy at all.  Not one bit.  I've ridden plenty of gravel and washboard; never been a problem.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/174883459224

Picture 3 of 5

Picture 1 of 5

The solid mount @Heavy posted does look good, though.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

That one looks pretty substantial.  I ordered the one from my original post.  Probably not going to be trying it out anytime soon though.  😉

snow.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2