Aux connector 2015 model availability - the square one?

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

Ok, this thread has gone a bit off topic but FWIW here is my (current) chosen location for the DRLs.  A convenient existing screw located under the lights that allows me to use one of the fittings that came with the lamps with no modifications - other than a longer screw.

These little lamps are so bright!

image.thumb.jpeg.877abb39ff890b3cf8ab1f1fd6844d64.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.80178726e799ce9efb922e41e79315ca.jpeg

image.png.5813016ee084886a9065727ce6ab818a.png

Did I mention how bright they are?!  But I think the indicators are still visible?!  I'll go for a run with a friend to give me some feedback on that score.  Might have to tip them down a bit if they're drowning the indicators.

• Premium Member

Are they primarily for conspicuity or do they also throw some useful illumination down the road?

I still think mounting to the T tree would add more separation from the signals and also not add unsprung weight, and I like then turning with the wheel.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

image.png.5813016ee084886a9065727ce6ab818a.png

Did I mention how bright they are?!  But I think the indicators are still visible?!  I'll go for a run with a friend to give me some feedback on that score.  Might have to tip them down a bit if they're drowning the indicators.

After seeing the photo, that is my concern as well.  Maybe mounting them lower down around the height of the highway pegs would give more separation and prominence to the indicators and not drown them out?

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

1st of all merry Christmas

And Happy Hanukkah

Can they be dimmed with a reostat so to speak

They look as bright as mine but may be 8 W

I like my mounts and height if you want details of how I did it I can probably post them 

20180113_141314.jpg

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, betoney said:

After seeing the photo, that is my concern as well.  Maybe mounting them lower down around the height of the highway pegs would give more separation and prominence to the indicators and not drown them out?

Yes, I admit that that was my original favoured location too and I'd pre-wired to reach there but the brackets that came with the kit didn't readily adapt to mounting hence the change of plan.

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

1st of all merry Christmas

And Happy Hanukkah

Can they be dimmed with a reostat so to speak

They look as bright as mine but may be 8 W

I like my mounts and height if you want details of how I did it I can probably post them 

20180113_141314.jpg

Thanks Bret, you have the same Givi bars as I do and in that first photo it looks like you were using a different mounting bracket for the lights from your other photos?  Did you change them for the later ones and if so why?

I ask because I think that I may have those brackets (in the 1st photo) that came with my highway pegs but were useless for that and so may be able to re-task them for my lamps and get them down lower as originally planned.

Your suggestion about reducing the current to them might be an option if they still prove to be too bright.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Are they primarily for conspicuity or do they also throw some useful illumination down the road?

I still think mounting to the T tree would add more separation from the signals and also not add unsprung weight, and I like then turning with the wheel.

To answer your question here - they do throw some useful light down the road but that is not my primary aim as I avoid night time riding as much as possible. Conspicuity is the name of the game for me with this exercise.

I did look at the triple tree option but a couple of things went against this idea for me at least.  I didn't want to add some kind of fashioned bracket to what is after all a fairly important part of the machine's integrity - YMMV, and I'm thinking of going to the uncharted waters of adding a beak (I know, I know) and that would just get in the way of the lamps anyway...... although as I'm thinking about it, that may just 'shade' them enough to fix the drowned out indicator issue!?

Damn, another thing to investigate as a possibility! 🤔🙄