Ivans Flash on a stock bike?

Clegg78

2019 Tracer GT, I had Ivan’s flash done.The best thing I have done. The bike is stock otherwise. Getting rid of the fuel cut, smooth throttle in A mode, cruise control at any speed or gear, and just generally runs better is well worth the $$. By all means do it!

5 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Delkevic full system and a booster plug, my 2020 runs the way it should now. I no longer have abrupt throttle response, the surging is all but gone, and my idle is much smoother as well.......and yeah, I have uncorked a few extra horsepower and the engine both runs and sounds great.

Two questions:

1. Any difference on the fuel economy after the Boosterplug installation?
  2. I see no application on their website for the 2020 (or 2019) Tracer 900GT and am assuming that you got the one for the MT-09 (2017 - 2020) (PRODUCT NUMBER: YAMAHA-B302)?

This seems like a better value for me, where I'd like to remove even the reduced snatchiness from my 2019 Tracer 900GT in STD mode, let alone A mode. If I get a smidge more power then so be it, and if no impact on fuel economy then it's a winner for me.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

If you can’t stretch to get the flash, then the booster plug is better than nothing. But better value for money is definitely the flash by a mile. It does a hell of a lot more than the plug.

Keep in mind that all the plug does is richen the fuel air mixture throughout the whole rev range, weather it needs it or not. 

It is just plastic box with a few resistors, no electronics whatsoever. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, OZVFR said:

If you can’t stretch to get the flash, then the booster plug is better than nothing. But better value for money is definitely the flash by a mile. It does a hell of a lot more than the plug.

Keep in mind that all the plug does is richen the fuel air mixture throughout the whole rev range, weather it needs it or not. 

That is what I thought, hence the question about the fuel economy.

The issue is not about the cost of the flash. I'd rather not pay anything at all to fix something that should have been right in the first place, especially since the Tracer is only with me for a finite time. That said, it has grown on me a lot. I demo rode an FZ-10 some years ago and I guess it must have been in A mode. What a jerky ride that was! Swore me off Yamahas that had any mention of snatchy throttles. Then I bought the Tracer ... not so bad and bearable compared to the FZ-10.

Edited by Grumpy Goat

They both use more fuel.

The plug makes the bike think it’s colder outside by using $0.20 worth of resistors on the air sensor. So more fuel goes in regardless of revs or throttle opening.

The flash has different mapping but doesn’t run above optimum fuel/air mixture, so leanness is removed, it also gets rid of the fuel cutoff on closed throttle which is the main culprit of snatchy throttle, It also gets rid of the speed restrictions and stops it going into closed loop fuelling at cruising throttle (another snatchy throttle culprit). Plus radiator fan operating window is lowered to stop it getting too hot before it starts. Many other small things hidden in there but end result is pretty good. 

Life’s too short to not enjoy a bike to the maximum. 

16 hours ago, OZVFR said:

That isn't true, and it also doesn't enrichen throughout the entire rev range. I can tell ya that it simply works, it's crazy how much the abrupt throttle and surging at lower RPM's is all but gone. Works the most at idle and low RPM ranges, beyond that it's all the ECM doing it's thing and the plug is bypassed. I can see the merits of a reflash, but I rather prefer a system working in conjunction with my ECM rather than all new programming. 

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-how-it-works-full-version.html

17 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Two questions:

1. Any difference on the fuel economy after the Boosterplug installation?
  2. I see no application on their website for the 2020 (or 2019) Tracer 900GT and am assuming that you got the one for the MT-09 (2017 - 2020) (PRODUCT NUMBER: YAMAHA-B302)?

This seems like a better value for me, where I'd like to remove even the reduced snatchiness from my 2019 Tracer 900GT in STD mode, let alone A mode. If I get a smidge more power then so be it, and if no impact on fuel economy then it's a winner for me.

I run my bike hard when I ride, I typically never see below 45 MPG and at highway/interstate speeds I can still hit around 50 MPG. It doesn't work at those RPM's, the plug is made to work at idle and lower rev ranges where the air/fuel mixture is the leanest. The only potentially annoying thing is you lose your ambient air temp, but I never paid attention to that anyways. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

This is what's inside a Booster Plug:

I didn't say it doesn't work, it's just a very blunt tool.

Boosterplug3.jpg

Boosterplug2.jpg

Basically, we are adding additional resistance to the stock IAT by connecting the 2.2K NTC thermistor + 5.6K resistors combination in series to OEM IAT. The IAT resistance in inversely proportional to temperature - meaning increase in temperature causes IAT resistance to lower. By adding additional resistance to the stock IAT, we are trying to tell the ECU that it is cooler than actual temperature. The 5.6K resistor is in parallel to the new NTC thermistor so that once we hit a cooler temperature, the effect of the custom circuit reduces greatly. Hopefully this helps anyone wanting to build their own mod.

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks to both OZVFR and Ride365 for the insights. I guess for now the snatchiness of throttle is not enough to offset the extra cost + the extra fuel consumption + the loss in ambient temperature (which I do use), all on a bike that will eventually (likely) be gone eventually (possibly after the new T9GT comes out with its acceptable dash, among other things). 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...

I would like to know more about the full Delkevic system. particularly regarding performance gains. BTW - the ECU was flashed by Ivan and this took out all the problems spoken about.

Please PM me as the stock exhaust is a pain to deal with when servicing the related areas.