Ivans Flash on a stock bike?

Clegg78

Hey there, 

I am in the middle of tearing the bike down for a bunch of maintenance (Oil, Coolant, Air Filter, Valve check, Sprockets, Chain, Plugs, etc...)

While the bike is open, the ECU is out and able to be shipped easily. 

Curious if anyone knows (and I can call Ivans on Monday as well to check) Is the ECU reflash worth it on a completely stock bike?  Keeping the stock filter, exhaust, plugs... (the chassis has upgrades with Ohlins all around but that's not relevant) I do like some of the features of his flash.   

Just curious if anyone here has had his work done on a stock ride. 

• Supporting Member

Absolutely.   I had my 2015 FJ done (by 2WDW), and it made a big difference in ‘ridability’ even with everything else stock.  It cleaned up the abrupt on/off throttle fueling, and made A Mode an absolute joy to ride.   Mine defaults to start in A Mode now, and I never seem to switch out of it.  

Only caveat: If you have a newer bike, the improvements may be less pronounced.   The first year bikes were known for being a bit off from the factory, but that has supposedly improved with the newer bikes.  (EDIT:  I just noticed this is the 900 GT forum, so maybe someone can chime in with their experience specifically for the model) 

• Thumbsup 3

3 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

2019 Niken is a huge improvement over the 2017 FJ-09 in throttle response.

Stock its a huge improvement? because yeah I find the Tracer 900 GT (2019) to be pretty good stock.    Not sure $350 is worth it just to get more cruise control speed options.

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Absolutely.   I had my 2015 FJ done (by 2WDW), and it made a big difference in ‘ridability’ even with everything else stock.  It cleaned up the abrupt on/off throttle fueling, and made A Mode an absolute joy to ride.   Mine defaults to start in A Mode now, and I never seem to switch out of it.  

Only caveat: If you have a newer bike, the improvements may be less pronounced.   The first year bikes were known for being a bit off from the factory, but that has supposedly improved with the newer bikes.  (EDIT:  I just noticed this is the 900 GT forum, so maybe someone can chime in with their experience specifically for the model) 

Thanks for the insight!   I've been curious if its less needed on the newer models

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Stock its a huge improvement? because yeah I find the Tracer 900 GT (2019) to be pretty good stock.    Not sure $350 is worth it just to get more cruise control speed options.

What about the fuel cut off causing huge engine braking?  I've also got the 2019 GT & find the throttle pretty smooth especially in B mode.  This is my first fuel injected bike & I find the engine braking is way too much when I roll off the throttle.  I'm considering a flash as well & been looking into pipe options, but preferably on the more quiet side.

• Thumbsup 1

21 minutes ago, Satsteve said:

What about the fuel cut off causing huge engine braking?  I've also got the 2019 GT & find the throttle pretty smooth especially in B mode.  This is my first fuel injected bike & I find the engine braking is way too much when I roll off the throttle.  I'm considering a flash as well & been looking into pipe options, but preferably on the more quiet side.

I live in a very mountainous area, and I actually like the engine braking a bit on the downhills so I don't need to ride the brakes much but it would be nice on the twisties to have a smooth off/on transition.   An yeah I would be all into a change of exhaust but not sure there is a huge benefit since I want to keep it quiet or close to stock noise, and keep the cat... cause... you know... smelling like a refinery after a long ride sucks (that and increasing the emissions on a 900cc bike to the level of an il tuned 1980's V8 in a F150 isn't awesome) 

• Thumbsup 1

48 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

I live in a very mountainous area, and I actually like the engine braking a bit on the downhills so I don't need to ride the brakes much but it would be nice on the twisties to have a smooth off/on transition.   An yeah I would be all into a change of exhaust but not sure there is a huge benefit since I want to keep it quiet or close to stock noise, and keep the cat... cause... you know... smelling like a refinery after a long ride sucks (that and increasing the emissions on a 900cc bike to the level of an il tuned 1980's V8 in a F150 isn't awesome) 

I like the idea of getting a pipe with the cat.  The Akro is really nice, but in Canada it's $2.5k taxes in with the cat!  Then another $500 for the ECU tune.  I'm sure I'd like it, but I can think of a lot I like for $3k.

Edited by Satsteve
  • Thumbsup 3

1 hour ago, Satsteve said:

I like the idea of getting a pipe with the cat.  The Akro is really nice, but in Canada it's $2.5k taxes in with the cat!  Then another $500 for the ECU tune.  I'm sure I'd like it, but I can think of a lot I like for $3k.

Yeah... and I think the actual effect of that 3K would be some different sound and minimal performance.   Where spending 3K on suspension and tires... thats a real upgrade!

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Yeah... and I think the actual effect of that 3K would be some different sound and minimal performance.   Where spending 3K on suspension and tires... thats a real upgrade!

True. I paid for the ECU flash and suspension before I took possession of my FJ09 from the dealer. The slip-on exhaust was the last mod I did after there was nothing more to upgrade. 
suspension and ergonomics first. 👍🏻

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...

Stock muffler and air filter. Had Ivan's Performance do a reflash and I couldn't be happier. Fueling is absolutely flawless. 

2020 Tracer 900 GT

Edited by cwjb
More info
  • Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, cwjb said:

Stock muffler and air filter. Had Ivan's Performance do a reflash and I couldn't be happier. Fueling is absolutely flawless. 

2020 Tracer 900 GT

This is good to know.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

On 2/11/2023 at 6:47 PM, Clegg78 said:

Hey there, 

I am in the middle of tearing the bike down for a bunch of maintenance (Oil, Coolant, Air Filter, Valve check, Sprockets, Chain, Plugs, etc...)

While the bike is open, the ECU is out and able to be shipped easily. 

Curious if anyone knows (and I can call Ivans on Monday as well to check) Is the ECU reflash worth it on a completely stock bike?  Keeping the stock filter, exhaust, plugs... (the chassis has upgrades with Ohlins all around but that's not relevant) I do like some of the features of his flash.   

Just curious if anyone here has had his work done on a stock ride. 

I have on my 2015 FJ-09 although I had put a BMC AIRFILTER and a Competition Werkes Slip-on on it. I think it's well worth it. 

It tames the throttle on and off a bit amongst a lot of things. 

Delkevic full system and a booster plug, my 2020 runs the way it should now. I no longer have abrupt throttle response, the surging is all but gone, and my idle is much smoother as well.......and yeah, I have uncorked a few extra horsepower and the engine both runs and sounds great.