Cruise control

TomFinn24

My cruise control went off and the orange light started flashing and I couldn’t reset a speed.  I turned off the motor, turned it back on and the cruise worked again for a few minutes, then went off.  Anyone else? 2020 Tracer 900 GT

Edited by TomFinn24
Add information

• Supporting Member

Year /Model ? You make have a sticky rear brake switch, clean it and you may be good to go. Otherwise is your cruise control stock or aftermarket, and what kind of levers do you have?

• Thumbsup 3

53 minutes ago, TomFinn24 said:

My cruise control went off and the orange light started flashing and I couldn’t reset a speed.  I turned off the motor, turned it back on and the cruise worked again for a few minutes, then went off.  Anyone else?

Is your bike subject to the Yamaha recall that replaces the front brake switch?

https://thebrakereport.com/front-brake-switch-recall-of-yamaha-motorcycles/

• Thumbsup 2

11 hours ago, TomFinn24 said:

My cruise control went off and the orange light started flashing and I couldn’t reset a speed.  I turned off the motor, turned it back on and the cruise worked again for a few minutes, then went off.  Anyone else?

Mind did the same thing as yours. I changed out the speed sensor and all went back to normal. Hopefuly yours is an easy of a fix as mine was. 

Edited by Stylo Steve
  • Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Year /Model ? You make have a sticky rear brake switch, clean it and you may be good to go. Otherwise is your cruise control stock or aftermarket, and what kind of levers do you have?

2020 Tracer 900 GT.  Only 6000 miles.  Stock Cruise Contol.  After market levers don’t know the brand, previous owner changed them.  Thanks

44 minutes ago, TomFinn24 said:

2020 Tracer 900 GT.  Only 6000 miles.  Stock Cruise Contol.  After market levers don’t know the brand, previous owner changed them.  Thanks

That may "potentially" be your issue, many aftermarket levers cause issues with factory CC, although best guess is the mentioned issue that was a tech bulletin. I haven't had any issues with my 20 so far, my CC hasn't caused any issues and I use it quite often.....hope you get sorted. :)

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Again is mcruz = or better than OEM

Functionally, yes definitely equal.  However, if adding McCruise, you need to find space for all the hardware and wiring.  Their kits have very detailed and well written instructions.  Their kits are specific to the bike and all the necessary bits are included.  IMHO, the McCruise switch gear is a little too bulky, but other than that, works perfectly.  There is an ECU, likely will have to go in a spot under the seat, much like an auxiliary fuse panel would if you have one.

For factory throttle by wire Tracer/FJR cruise..... the brake lever switches had a tendency for the contacts to corrode, so the recall happened for 2013 FJR's and up, and a myriad of Yamaha models since that particular switch was first used.  It is not just a switch, and has a wire harness attached.  Many used contact cleaner to flush them and any dirt particles that would prevent the plunger from returning fully.  Dirt can also be an issue with the clutch switches.

Another cruise issue is wheel sensor signals.... recommend you remove the wheel sensors, clean any aluminum corrosion flakes off which could bridge the sensor to the (raw) aluminum housing, smear on a light coat of dielectric grease on the aluminum housing and the sensor mounting sleeve to prevent any corrosion from happening.  That treatment will last a very long time, but check maybe at tire changes.

Also check your rear brake pedal pivot is lubed so it returns fully.

Edited by RaYzerman
  • Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

....  IMHO, the McCruise switch gear is a little too bulky, but other than that, works perfectly.....

As far as the switch gear is concerned an alternative, if you want the OEM look, is to wire the controller in to a compatible new or 2nd hand FJR or super tenere unit.

This is what I did for my 2015 model and don't know if later models can be done this way, although without digging in to the specific details I can't see why not in general.

1310804268_FINALWIRING2.thumb.JPG.f506e37feca006ec9509fc7d1a618449.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Again is mcruz = or better than OEM

I had a McCruise on my 2017 FJ-09 and loved it. It didn't have as many limitations at the stock version, such as only use in 4th,5th&6th gears between 31+100mph. However I prefer the stock cruise control on my Niken with the integrated controls. Having said that if the Niken didn't have cruise control I would have wanted a McCruise.

As previously mentioned the McCruise Controls take up valuable handle bar space, unless installed such as Dazzler24 did in the following post....

McCruise with stock buttons

and if anyone want to follow Dazzler24's lead I have the parts you need for sale in the classifieds 😉

Cruise Control pod buttons

• Thumbsup 1