Looking for side cases

Tim16

Hello to all from Prince Edward Island.

Just joining the forum as I’ve moved from a 2017 FZ07 to a 2019 Tracer. With great respect for both bikes, the Tracer was a super upgrade. Very happy with getting back into riding in this way. I am looking for a set of either City or FJR side cases. Happy to, of course, pay for shipping and would really prefer a set with keys. Thanks!

Why not look at soft, throw-over bags if you're only using them once a season?

Or, you could go with something like the SW-Motech bag, depending on passenger and storage space required.  I used one on my CB500X and found I could carry more crap than I needed in it.

https://sw-motech.us/products/luggage/Legend+Gear/tail+bags/4052572034330.htm

bike.jpg

The plastic bags on top were a set of junior golf clubs I was taking to my nephew ... like I said, more than I needed.  😉

Edited by Heavy
  • Like 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

I've got a pair of Moto Centric soft side bags and a tail bag  I don't need anymore. They are not brand new. They have several thousand miles on them. They are in good shape . rain covers are water proof.

It looks like I need to post this in the classifieds. I don't qualify yet.

Admin - delete if not appropriate.

Edited by Brentinpdx

Thanks @Heavy. Great suggestions. Attached is a picture of my current set up. My thought is that panniers may prove less of a hassle when arriving at, and leaving, hotels. Soft panniers and stays could also work. 

IMG_2102.JPG

14 hours ago, Tim16 said:

Thanks @Heavy. Great suggestions. Attached is a picture of my current set up. My thought is that panniers may prove less of a hassle when arriving at, and leaving, hotels. Soft panniers and stays could also work. 

IMG_2102.JPG

I should have mentioned before ... the SW-Motech attaches with 4 straps (at least my older version does) and comes with a carry strap.  It was 2 minutes to undo the 4 cam-buckles and take the whole thing off the bike and into wherever I'm staying.  The bag was really stable too.  When I was researching (always have to do tooo much reasearch before I buy something 🙄) I found a video of a guy doing hyper-legal speeds on an R1 with one of the bags on his bike.

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

@BrentinpdxYes, that’s the idea. I do like how the OEM city or fjr cases hook onto the two recessed areas on the top rail and grab the extension arm below on my model year. This said, I’d certainly go with a setup like yours. Will keep an eye out for Shad, Givi, Kappa, etc. Thanks!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 2/22/2023 at 8:19 PM, Tim16 said:

Hello to all from Prince Edward Island.

Hello 👋

I visited PEI late last summer... so nice. I spent a day hoofing around Charlottetown and then took a ride through the parks along the north shore. Fond memories.

If you can't find the OE/FJR cases... the Shad 3P bracket system allows use of either the SH36, or the SH23 hard cases. It's a convenient setup. SH23 cases are fairly inexpensive.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Thanks @piotrek. Glad to read you’ve been to Charlottetown. We certainly enjoy living here. Knowing I’m being frugal, the SHAD E48 semi rigid bag and stays system looks like a decent option to the 3P and SH23 cases as they can expand and ultimately hold more. I wonder if those are a good, once a season trip, option. Any and all feedback is welcome. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

The E48 look nice, and I see that the stays come in two variants. Wonder how they would stand up rain over longer rides. Interesting option. Good luck with the search.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Thanks @piotrek. I ordered the bags and stays and am hoping for our once a year need, they will fit the bill. The Tracer stays are the larger of the two options. Looking at them online, I quite like that when not in use, I can take the stay frames off and there is pretty much nothing else showing. When it comes to rain, they do come with covers but I read they are not perfect. Since I'm planning on leaving the bags on the bike when we stop to overnight, I'll need internal carry bags. My plan is to pick up a couple of lightweight, waterproof ones. Once installed and road tested, I'll post an update and pictures. Appreciate everyone's insight!

• 1 month later...

Hi, all. 
As promised, SHAD e48 bags and frames arrived. Here are a couple of pictures. Install was pretty straightforward and they feel stable on the bike.

C0BE9201-26B8-4095-9FC8-F72D1678519F.jpeg

735E4992-9A95-413F-9486-8C4947CD83AE.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1