• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Strange Vibrationzzzz

@norcal616  I've ordered a steel sprocket (16 tooth), cost me £13 ($16US) delivered.  I'll hopefully have it delivered and fitted by Wednesday and I'll let you know if there are any improvements.
hows the new sprocket??
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Guest kernowjim
@norcal616  I've ordered a steel sprocket (16 tooth), cost me £13 ($16US) delivered.  I'll hopefully have it delivered and fitted by Wednesday and I'll let you know if there are any improvements.
hows the new sprocket??
Haven't managed to fit it yet as I need a new sprocket nut from Yamaha which is more than the cost of the new sprocket!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm looking to buy a FJ-09 / Tracer. Coming from my current bike, a 2010 Versys 650 with aftermarket shield, I have two complaints, vibration and wind protection. On two test drives now the very high frequency vibration coming through the handlebars has caused numb consequently painful hands. This is a deal killer for me unless it is resolvable. Is there any easy/common fix for this? For instance installing rubber dampers at triple trees, etc..

Guest kernowjim
I'm looking to buy a FJ-09 / Tracer. Coming from my current bike, a 2010 Versys 650 with aftermarket shield, I have two complaints, vibration and wind protection. On two test drives now the very high frequency vibration coming through the handlebars has caused numb consequently painful hands. This is a deal killer for me unless it is resolvable. Is there any easy/common fix for this? For instance installing rubber dampers at triple trees, etc..
there are a couple of solutions, one is to fit Grip Puppies to the grips and the other is to fill the handlebars with lead shot or similar.  I have noticed that things get noticeably smoother with more miles on the bike - the engine is very very tight from new (must be high compression, hence the power!).  Alternatively you could try the Triumph Tiger 800 (smooth but bland) or the Kawasaki Versys 1000 (smooth but heavy)

Check tension of the chain; in my case, it was too tight for my weight and was the cause of vibrations; having it loose, now of  1 inch or a bit more free play (with me on the bike), was the solution.

Check tension of the chain; in my case, it was too tight for my weight and was the cause of vibrations; having it loose, now of  1 inch or a bit more free play (with me on the bike), was the solution.
Hello there,

i bought a 2016 FJ-09 Tracer and I am quite happy with it. But very short after riding some hours, I noticed the strange vibrations around 4000 - 5000 rpm.

Does loosen the chain really cure that issue?

@alquimista: How did you measure the chain slack? I will try to set it to 1 inch with me on the bike - did you measure the up-way and the down-way?

+1 on loosening the chain.  It came from the dealer with absolutely no slack.  I loosened it and then while on the bike I took a yardstick with a nail in it to check slack.   Once it felt good, I locked in.  Chain 10,500 miles later looks great. 

Additionally, once I got to 4,000 miles or so the engine seemed to really smooth out and run even better. 

The windscreen ... well it is simply bad.  I am looking at replacements now.

Hello there, 
i bought a 2016 FJ-09 Tracer and I am quite happy with it. But very short after riding some hours, I noticed the strange vibrations around 4000 - 5000 rpm.

Does loosen the chain really cure that issue?

@alquimista : How did you measure the chain slack? I will try to set it to 1 inch with me on the bike - did you measure the up-way and the down-way?

Hi thegrouse ! 
In my case, yes, that was the solution. Took the bike  to a Yamaha shop on route, of that trip where I thought the chain tension could be the cause. With me on the bike, I requested the technician to leave free play on about 1 inch or a bit more. There was not an exact measure, yet it was about that value... And, voilà, motor came back to its original smoothness.
Try it, its an easy adjustment… nothing to loose

• 3 years later...

Interesting Thread.

I am starting to HATE the FJ-09. I traded my S10 for a equally valued FJ-09 last year and was pretty happy for a little while. (Short rides, it was Novmber) Winter hit and it sat all prepped and ready for this season

Took it out, and it roared to life I was ready to go. Set off on some 2 - 6 hour rides over the past few weekends.

The more miles I put on the bike the less I like it. It's nimble and quick, but the love affair ends there. I have 3 seats all from different manuf and they all suck. The seating position is sportbike lower and WAY upright upper, so your never completely comfortable. When I finally feel like I'm getting far enough back on teh seat to "get in the pocket" my ass is 2 inches on the pillion seat. And then the worst of the worst is the engine vibration from 3800 - 6500 rpms. Holy hell It's so annoying I find it so bad I'd rather not ride the bike. I thought maybe it was just my bike, but no.. this is a common problem with 200,000 threads on it. 50% sold the bike because of it 50% say they like it as it feels like power. (dumb)

I have quite a few bikes currently and have owned probably 100 bikes over the last 35 years of riding, and I never felt this weird throbbing as bad as the Fj displays, even on the Thumpers I have had. (My Husky 610 was not as bad!!) Also, the "drop an anchor" throttle roll off is no help either. All modes, doesn't matter, roll off and it's like you slapped the brakes on, so rolling back on is a jerky situation and then BAM your back into the vibrations.

I made the wonderful mistake of picking up a Kawasaki Z900RS for the twisties and that bike is so frigging smooth,(yes I know 4 VS 3.. but damn) it made my opinion of the FJ-09 even worse.

I really wanted to like this bike, I think it looks nice, and it has power, the storage space, but riding this thing for any amount of extended time just plain sucks.

Now I'll probably have to take a huge hit, sell this thing to a lady who's lonely and wants a vibrating companion and start the search for a sportish touring road going adv looking bike again.

:(

20210522_164141.jpg