Strange Vibrationzzzz

• Premium Member
http://yamahazone.biz/tensioners.html 
My stock cam chain tensioner quit working in the first few hundred miles of my 2015. It was easier to use the APE manual tensioner than deal with Yamaha. I don't know if newer bikes still have the same problem, but since I put in the APE, I don't bother to keep up with the thread in the post above.

Those are my exact feelings on the matter. APE it, and forget it.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Went for a day trip with the local bike club yesterday (180 miles). My new FJ-09 rode well BUT we were cruising around 55 to 65 mph. The BUZZ in my grips was very annoying. Annoying to the point I'm considering getting rid of the bike. I have 380 miles on the OD and will go for the 600 mile service and see if it can be resolved. It is shocking to me that a bike that has the "buzz" is being made today. Twenty years ago ok, but today...unacceptable. 

• Premium Member
Went for a day trip with the local bike club yesterday (180 miles). My new FJ-09 rode well BUT we were cruising around 55 to 65 mph. The BUZZ in my grips was very annoying. Annoying to the point I'm considering getting rid of the bike. I have 380 miles on the OD and will go for the 600 mile service and see if it can be resolved. It is shocking to me that a bike that has the "buzz" is being made today. Twenty years ago ok, but today...unacceptable. 
Ah yes, I remember my first ride on the FJ. A bit more "raw and visceral" than I expected. A bit "unrefined". Notable was a "roughness" in the 3500-3800 RPM range. However, everything on this bike smooths out after 2K miles. The transformation is subtle, yet absolute. The shifting, suspension, engine all smooths out considerably. To that end, I backed off the preload and rebound considerably (I'm only 168 lbs). I also had the ECU reflashed by Two Wheel Dyno Works, created my own vibration mounts for the handlebars using neoprene washers and filled the handlebars with butyl rubber caulk. Now, I appreciate what visceralness remains. I can feel this bike talking to me. It's all in your right hand. She can be compliant and smooth, touring for thousands of miles, or slide you to the back of the saddle as you turn off the TCS, grab a handful of throtttle and raise her nose to the sky! In comparison, I took a local Versys 1000 for a 20 mile test ride and thought afterwards....WOW! SMOOTH!.....BORING! So, in summary, it's a slow transformation for the bike....and YOU.
  • Thumbsup 1
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 2 months later...
I know the vibrations this thread talks about.  I got a different vibration and just wanted to throw this out.  When I ride my bike like a John Deer tractor at a steady 2,500 rpm in 1st or 2nd gear, I feel a grinding sensation in the footpegs.  I know nothing is grinding because the bike is so un-stressed at this moment.  But grinding is the sensation.  Probably some bad harmony from the muffler or the drive chain slacking out it some weird way on the plastic guide.

I think Kevin Cameron (Cycle World) recently wrote about vibration in one of his columns.  As usual a very good explanation of what causes vibration in an engine and why they all do it at some rpm. 

Stephen, you might be out of luck. I think triples are a little buzzier than most. Triumph and Yamaha alike. Most of my Kawasaki inline 4s buzzed at some RPM as well.    Bar end weights and gel grips might help, but this will never be a buzz-free platform...

Now, my old ST1300... That was the smoothest engine I've ever experienced!
Yeah but you had to listen to the ST1300 whine! 

I know the vibrations this thread talks about.  I got a different vibration and just wanted to throw this out.  When I ride my bike like a John Deer tractor at a steady 2,500 rpm in 1st or 2nd gear, I feel a grinding sensation in the footpegs.  I know nothing is grinding because the bike is so un-stressed at this moment.  But grinding is the sensation.  Probably some bad harmony from the muffler or the drive chain slacking out it some weird way on the plastic guide.
I absolutely second what you said Evoled... 
As I climb through the RPMs and in lower gears, I feel exactly the same grinding sensation that you have stated... not sure what the fix is, so I try to get OUT of this rpm range QUICKLY! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I had the same thing when I rode mine home for that first 70 miles. My right hand was going numb from it. It smoothed out over time and the dealer actually sync'd the throttle bodies on the 600 mile service which really smoothed things out. I'm not at about 1300 miles and it's quite a bit smoother. There are still some vibes, but it's what I would consider 'normal' and doesn't bother me.
Also, the shop I take my bike to will be changing the CCT since it wasn't done by the dealer who sold me the motorcycle.  The dealer told me to bring it in if it starts making noise, while the new shop (which is also a Yamaha dealer) told me they'd like to change it before I hear a noise or have an issue with it.  Great folks!

• 5 months later...
I took it in for the 600 mi check yesterday and mentioned the vibes. The tech said he has ridden the R6 and other cross-plane bikes and said he has felt the same thing.  Then he rode mine and confirmed it was the same vibe as the other models.  He said he would send a complaint to Yamaha on-line tech support and let know what they say. I also mentioned that at a constant speed, the bikes surges like its misfiring.  I thought maybe a TB sync would help.  The tech rode and felt the same thing, especially at lower speeds in any gear.  He suggested it might be lean fueling to meet EPA requirements but would submit the compliant to the Yamaha on-line tech support.
FYI.  Even though the owners manual says a throttle body sync should be done at 600 mi, the dealer's list of required service (as shown on his service dept computer) does NOT include syncing.

I totally have the same thing on my 2017 fz09: vibrations from 4500rpm and misfiring feeling at constant speed/very light engine load. I am breaking in so not sure if the go vibrations keep going after 5600rpm. 600 miles maintenance coming soon, will definitely address these