Strange Vibrationzzzz

I picked up my bike today, did about 85 miles because life kept me busy, and since I am breaking it in, kept it under the manual recommended 5600 RPM for the first whatever miles. Regardless all of this... does anyone else find the engine vibrations around the 4500 RPM mark to be RIDICULOUSLY annoying/disconcerting? Or... is my engine on the verge of spontaneous de-combustion?

• Premium Member
change down a gear to keep it above 4500rpm. Sometimes I just leave it in 4th gear, especially on twisty roads in the hills, as you can pull from almost a standstill up to an indicated 130mph. In this respect it is a lot like a 1 litre, inline 4.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I did a test this morning riding many miles at 60+ MPH.  The natural frequency of the bike seems be triggered near 4500 rpm.  When I shift up into 6th and get 3800-4000 rpms the bike goes quiet.  This is all relative of course.  There are no strong vibrations on this bike at any speed.  If you feel some, then something is wrong.  One need only ride my '81 Ironhead to feel the difference ;)

The motor is so smooth at 3k rpm. Then I start to feel the vibes around 4K and they peak around 4.5K.  Cruising at 60mph is disconcerting for sure. I am taking it in for the 600 mi check next week (and the recall fix) and will ask if the throttle bodies are out of sync. Otherwise, I guess riding in 5th is the answer at 60 mph.

Have the same vibration. I did put 18,000 km on a 2014 FZ09 and I don't remember to feel those that much.
At first on the FJ09 I thought that a had fill up the gas tank with old (bad) gas and/or spark plug misfire / fueling issue. The vibration are really bugging me.

But since this is a Yamaha I will ride the beast and forget about it. Must be a "power charging" natural process :)

Regards

I took it in for the 600 mi check yesterday and mentioned the vibes. The tech said he has ridden the R6 and other cross-plane bikes and said he has felt the same thing.  Then he rode mine and confirmed it was the same vibe as the other models.  He said he would send a complaint to Yamaha on-line tech support and let know what they say.
I also mentioned that at a constant speed, the bikes surges like its misfiring.  I thought maybe a TB sync would help.  The tech rode and felt the same thing, especially at lower speeds in any gear.  He suggested it might be lean fueling to meet EPA requirements but would submit the compliant to the Yamaha on-line tech support.
FYI.  Even though the owners manual says a throttle body sync should be done at 600 mi, the dealer's list of required service (as shown on his service dept computer) does NOT include syncing.

Guest rszk
In regards to syncing, my dealer also stated that it does not need to be done, despite my looking at the service manual recommendations. I noticed a worse vibe on my Super Tenere, but it didn't bother me, the FJ 09 seems quite smooth overall...and then there's my K L R...hehe.

Word...

I've noticed some speed/RPM-related vibrations here and there, but I'm coming off a H-D Sportster.  It'd be difficult to deliberately engineer a modern motorcycle that vibrated as much, in as many different ways.  It's entirely possible my FJ-09 could be vibrating entirely too much, and I'd have no idea.

Just to echo what others have said, it also seems to me that the bike has natural vibrations (albeit slight) around 4,500 RPM.  

I also just had my first service done including the throttle bodies and while I don't really notice a difference in performance,  I've notice a big difference in being able to get the revs up.  During the break in I kept the revs low and noticed the vibrations a lot but afterwards when you can open her up a little, it's a completely different bike. She's really smooth after 5,000 and has plenty of power.  

I understand in a very vague sense that every object has a "natural vibration" frequency; not much past that.  It's a somewhat arcane subject, but I was wondering if anyone on here had enough of a physics/engineering background to explain the concept and how it actually affects motorcycles.  What factors determine the natural vibration of a bike? How does it affect/limit how bikes are designed?  How does it affect how we ride?

I've found that the experience of riding is enhanced the more I really, no-joke understand about the physical forces affecting how I ride.  Increased confidence is part of it, but it's more so an enhanced appreciation, the way you might get so much more out of a guitar solo if you really understand music and acoustics.

If you are really interested, you may want to read about resonance and damping

There is the classic
video that demonstrates a catastrophic under damped resonance. 
My pet peeve, there is no en in damping or damper. e.g. damping and damper NOT dampening and dampener.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Some of the vibes could be coming from hand guards as they vibrate back into the bars at freeway speeds (minor wind buffeting).  This bike also has a slipper clutch that tends to vib at idle which could increase or decrease at varying RPM's.