Bike not starting when warm.

Hi, my 2017 tracer is having issues since I brought it out of isolation,  it starts fine when cold and hot but if I leave the bike for a while (till it's below running temp but not fully cold) I hit the button and the bike turns over and catches and immediately shuts off. The only way to start it is with holding the throttle open while turning over and holding the revs above idle for a few seconds until it will idle... runs spot on otherwise. 

7 hours ago, Gophman said:

I initially put it down to stale fuel but it's went through a full tank of fresh stuff.

Like 2and3cylinnders said maybe its the  fuel filter. I'd suggest changing the spark plugs as a quick way to eliminate an issue with them. Good luck with it.

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/4/2023 at 7:55 AM, Gophman said:

Hi, my 2017 tracer is having issues since I brought it out of isolation,  it starts fine when cold and hot but if I leave the bike for a while (till it's below running temp but not fully cold) I hit the button and the bike turns over and catches and immediately shuts off. The only way to start it is with holding the throttle open while turning over and holding the revs above idle for a few seconds until it will idle... runs spot on otherwise. 

When did it last have a valve clearance check?  Tight valves lead to start problems when hot.  But, run a few tanks of fuel through it to clean things up.

Edited by whisperquiet

You probably need to give a bit more information to get a somewhat accurate answer.

How many kilometres on the bike, history, where do you live?

Too many variables to decide from your very narrow description.

The more info you give, the more relevant answer you will get.

• Premium Member
On 4/4/2023 at 6:55 AM, Gophman said:

My 2016 has done this since new. 60,000 miles, two major services by dealer and still does it. Usually smell gas when it does it. 

I'll ride somewhere, eat lunch and that's long enough for it to act up. First start or quick restart no issues.

Forgot to tell dealer about it when getting serviced. Next time. 

I have a similar issue on my '19 with 7k miles.  Mine doesn't sound as bad, but I can pull it out of the garage on a cold day after sitting for a month and it fires up with 1/2 second push of the starter.  Ride for 30 miles, make a quick stop, try to restart and it cranks over for 4 seconds, starts, dies, and then on second try works perfectly again.  My plan is to go through it this spring, will be the first time even having the tank off.