Engine stuttering under acceleration

Hey folks!

Took my 2018 GT for commuting last saturday and notice some engine stuttering while accelerating when merging into the highway, even feel the engine completely dead for half a second.

I pulled over to the side of the road and powered off the bike to take a minute to evaluate my options, so I decided to start the engine and I was able to do my commuting with some engine stuttering under acceleration but the bike was driveable, I was even able to use the QS and the cruise control.

No CEL light, and after coming home I did connect my old ELM327 OBD2 adapter and reported me no pending error codes.

Bike has gas, oil at the proper level, battery is OK and charging properly. This Sunday I'll take some time to find out the problem checking the usual suspects (Air filter, sparks plugs, coils, fuel and TPS)

Any advice will be appreciated!

Edited by miguelix

On 5/16/2023 at 11:09 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

When is the last time you inspected the spark plugs it sounds electrical?

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I never got my spark plugs inspected...

Bought the bike with 21000 Km and allegedly the (second hand) dealership did the 20000 Km service, which includes spark plugs change. Bought air filter and spark plugs to change them at the 30000 Km service but I was to lazy and decided to pospone it until the next service.

Blame myself for trusting the dealer and my laziness... What do you bet that I'll find the original spark plugs installed in my Tracer?

4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Tainted fuel also does strange things as well. ;) 

Definitely is worth to check, thanks!

Hey folks! The update you were waiting for is here.

Replaced air filter and spark plugs yesterday and now the bike is working like a charm! Here you have a few pics of how the air filter and the spark plugs were.

Easy work, but removing the hoses from the AIS was little bit painful, have to get myself a decent pair of pliers.

C5596CFF-A99E-400C-BE27-33B66CF2A13D.jpg

DE6C7520-09D6-437E-9255-4CE67F46BDAB.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member

Glad to hear that's all it was!  Now you can get back to enjoying that sweet triple.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Feels good when you can work on your own bike and solve issues like this.  Glad you found the problem and have the bike running as it should!

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
On 5/22/2023 at 10:13 AM, miguelix said:

Replaced air filter and spark plugs yesterday and now the bike is working like a charm! Here you have a few pics of how the air filter and the spark plugs were.

C5596CFF-A99E-400C-BE27-33B66CF2A13D.jpg

Just a reminder, NEVER rely in the the service manuals recommended interval for your air filter, always use real world conditions.  I believe Yamaha recommends every 24,000 miles, I clean the filters on both bikes about every 5,000 miles and they are always dirty and full of bugs.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

And as I mentioned before as long as you're in there playing with the throttle bodies and what not

Check D'valve lash, twenty four thousand miles on them is also too much

At least for the first check and the second