FJ-09 – 1250GS comparison

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, maximo said:

Hey all, a few weeks ago I bid goodbye, as I had swapped out my FJ-09 for a R1250GS. Some had asked me to return with my impressions of how the two bikes compare.  Here I am.

The riding position is very similar. I immediately felt at home on the GS. The power characteristics and delivery are really different. To me the FJ felt like it wanted to let it rip and I was the one holding it back, whereas the GS is perfectly content at whatever speed/style of riding. The FJ encouraged hooligan behavior, and the GS encourages civil, responsible behavior. When I crack open the throttle on the GS it builds power in a controlled, linear fashion, where the FJ wanted to jump out of my hands when it’s WFO. Both bikes are very agile, but in different ways. The FJ is super light and it feels flickable. The GS, which is 90 lbs heavier feels more planted. Yet it’s shockingly nimble. The weight is so low that it tricks you into thinking you’re on a lighter bike.  

The GS has decent off road capability. I spent the weekend at RawHyde taking off road lessons, and the big bike can handle more than seems possible. It really is an engineering marvel. 

Neither bike is inherently better, tho the GS has a lot of creature comforts and more versatility (which you pay dearly for). But they are aimed at different kinds of riders, overgeneralized you could say the FJ has a much younger, wilder spirit, where the GS is more mature, controlled, and patient.

It was a good switch for me, as I tend to be more on the mature side.

Hope it's helpful! 

Your description sounds very much like my impressions of my VFR1200X, very planted yet nimble, controlled, linear power delivery aimed at a mature, responsible rider.  As much as I enjoy my VFR, I always love the contrast of riding the FJ, owning both they feel very "Jekyll and Hyde" - and that's a compliment for both bikes. 😎

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

20 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Wow that was a thorough write up comparing the bikes.

Had to find their web site - interesting that it is BMW only. Sounds like a great place.

It was great, I highly recommend it. They only have GS, but they welcome riders to bring in non GS bikes. In my group we had a guy with a KTM 1290, one with a Harley Panamerica, and another one on a Multistrada. But the training is definitely made for GS in mind. There were some exercises the KTM couldn't do (for example, walk beside the bike in first gear, walk it uphill using the clutch only (other hand on the seat rail). The KTM would lug and die, it needed gas to make it happen) 

• Thumbsup 3

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, maximo said:

…the GS is more mature, controlled, and patient.

image.gif.150c1aeb2e51e1dc8607ab7910fe895b.gif

😀

But seriously, congrats on the bike!  Sounds like a great choice. 

• Haha 4

I thought about the BMW when I was looking for my FJ .  A few things swayed me toward the FJ.

One - I can work on most of it myself.

Two - I can get a service manual

Three - The upfront cost of the FJ is significantly cheaper than the BMW

Four - The local BMW service center is a bit of a hassle to get the bike there.

The FJ, I purchased was outfitted with full Shad cases, a top case, a touring screen ( changed that), and 3700 miles on the clock for $8700.00

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, texscottyd said:

image.gif.150c1aeb2e51e1dc8607ab7910fe895b.gif

😀

But seriously, congrats on the bike!  Sounds like a great choice. 

... and that is why we have a few... to meet the "mood of the day". 😎

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@betoney- My wife snuck up on me standing in the shop, just staring at the stable with a look of deep concentration.   

“Oh no, you are not seriously trying to figure out what’s missing, are you?”  

image.gif.7521aed18412f5550b3505953e5af9f4.gif

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yeah, I know the BMW has more features and is more refined than the Tracer 900 GT, but the Tracer is more fun to ride in my opinion.

1. Lighter to pickup up when dropped (BMW is 125 lbs heavier than the Tracer)
  2. More twitchy and flickable when riding
  3. More snappy when twisting the throttle
  4. And I can do all the maintenance in my garage, and even if I want to let Yamaha do the work it will be much less expensive than the BMW.
  5. Cost new is $15K for the Tracer and $21K for the BMW. And servicing at the BMW dealership will cost a lot more than Yamaha's service department. And doing basic maintenance by myself reduces the cost of ownership even more.

I have ridden my Tracer across the country (and back), and I never once felt swapping for the BMW made any sense (or cents). I do have experience on the current BMW GS, and it is a phenomenal machine, but the additional costs make it a less attractive purchase. 

• Thumbsup 1

As  I currently own both a 2017 FJ09 (NorCal bike) and a 2018 R1200GS (SoCal bike), I fully agree with Maximo's commentary.  I love both bikes equally and for all the positive reasons he cited.

For what it's worth, my few dislikes on the FJ:

Primary rider seat attachment mechanism (cheap/loose)

Strange clutch sound when disengaged (appeared after about 18K miles)

Slight hesitation off-idle (probably a tuning issue on my part)

Dislikes on the R1200GS

Heavy when moving around - not when riding

ODB port holder/harness/connector (cheap and very fragile)

Access cover for battery/ODB port - attachment method (rubber grommets fall out easily)

As a side note, I got the FJ to turn-in properly by dropping the triple clam down about 3/8 of an inch - amazing difference - highly recommend this to everyone regardless of weight/height etc..

• Thumbsup 2

On 6/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, Brentinpdx said:

I thought about the BMW when I was looking for my FJ .  A few things swayed me toward the FJ.

One - I can work on most of it myself.

Two - I can get a service manual

Three - The upfront cost of the FJ is significantly cheaper than the BMW

Four - The local BMW service center is a bit of a hassle to get the bike there.

The FJ, I purchased was outfitted with full Shad cases, a top case, a touring screen ( changed that), and 3700 miles on the clock for $8700.00

My buddy does ALL of his own maintenance on his 1250GS, so not sure where you are getting information that isn't the case? Yeah there are some special tools and such, and my bud is on his second GS and both have been uber reliable for him.........and yeah he rides them. :) 

You need at $200 error code reader to shut off the service reminder prompt that appears every time you start the bike if the odo rolls past a maintenance point.

BMW owners who change their own oil usually chip in and share the cost just to kill that message!  Crazy no?

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent 1740 miles in British Colombia on a rented 2022 R1250GS from EagleRider. I also spend 1800 miles x 2 on a 2019 Tracer 900 in PNW (rented both times). The GS is a terrific bike. It is very different from my "original" 2015 FJ-09. Bear in mind that my bike has extensive excellent suspension modifications. The GS is one if not the best selling motorcycle in the world (>500 cc) and for a good reason. BMW keeps improving it every couple of years. I strongly considered getting a USED one (<$$$) as an ADV bike but ended up with a new Aprilia Tuareg which I really like. I am lucky to have a few bikes in my stable (2013 Multistrada 1200S, 2007 VFR, etc..).  I loved the GS. It is stable and planted on the road. The wind management is amazing - it is probably the best on the highway from all the bikes I have ridden. For the 549 lbs wet weight is it remarkable well balanced and the center of gravity is low. You don't feel the weight unless you are pushing it in your garage. Even if it tips over, the boxer cylinders which stick out and typically covered with protection make the angle of picking it up not hard. I am only 5'7" and was worried about the stock height so had the seat in the low position initially. After about 500 miles I switched it to the high position - it was that easy to ride and manage. It's as economical as the FJ-09 and has no issues lugging the engine. ESA transforms it from Enduro to Sport in seconds.

The FJ-09 is a great bike. It is a comfortable sport touring bike. Flickable and nimble with an engine that has torque but also likes to rev. It is more fun in the twisties for sure. Maintenance and reliability is likely cheaper and easier. As a one bike solution the R1250GS is very hard to beat, but it is very expensive. It also keeps its value very well.

When I thought about everything, I decided to get the Tuareg instead of a used GS setup for ADV mostly because I have my other bikes. If I was restricted to a one bike garage, I think that I would end up with a GS.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1