Tracer 9 GT T-Rex luggage rack q's

Howdy,

I recently purchased and am loving my 2022 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT. However, since it didn't come with a  trunk rack I'm quickly saving up the funds to make the purchase. I've found two decent options, and having a rack that has support underneath the back 1/2 is a must since I'll regularly be overloading the plate with 30-60lbs worth of gear (YMMV). There are cheaper racks that bolt onto just the rear attachment points, but I'd feel better with the added frame support.

The first option is the T-Rex rack and Givi case combo, only $250 for a supported rack and 42L lockable top case.

The second option is a bit more expensive, around $ 330+ shipping, but a guaranteed fit Shad luggage rack and 44L lockable top case.

My issue is that I'm not entirely sure the T-Rex rack will work on the bike, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried to install the T-Rex rack that's marketed for the 2018-20 Tracer 900 GT? Or should I just spend the extra $80 and go with the tried-and-true Shad rack and case that has guaranteed fitment on the '22 Tracer 9 GT? Regardless, has anyone ever had an issue putting 30-50 lbs onto these mounting plates? My previous bike was a Suzuki V-Strom, and I would regularly load 40-70 lbs on top of the mounting plate without any issue.

Historically these bikes have been short wheelbases.  The have kept lengthening the swingarm and the T9  has the longest yet.  On the 2020 Tracer 900 GT they do not recommend having a top case and side case mounted.  Not sure about the T9.  I have run a small top case 39L on my 2020 without any stability issues but it is usually empty.  I carry a 58L duffle on the rear seat which moves weight forward.  With the duffle bag plus side cases plus top case (mostly empty) I've not had any stability issues and have had it to speed a "little" above the speed limit in Montana.  My top case was used for rain gear and mis stuff and a place to store helmet when stopped for a break - if I didn't have too much stuff in it.  

Not sure I would put 40 or 50 pounds in a large top case even on the T9, the weight is pretty far back and makes the front lighter.

• Supporting Member

T-Rex stuff is excellent quality, they are really good at answering questions over the phone or through email. I have the Shad SH58X top case pictured in your 'Shad Luggage Rack' link on my Niken and absolutely love it. I dont fill it up but rather use it for helmet/jacket storage when off the bike away from home. However with the extra weight up front on the Niken I dont notice the large top case at the rear.

• Thumbsup 1

I want to give you another option that I have on my 2021 Tracer 9GT, a Givi Monokey Mounting Plate SRA2159.  Then you can choose any Monokey Top Case.  The best pricing I found was here, $224.  It was very easy to mount to the bike and I'm happy with it.

It is out of stock now, but if you call them they can tell you when it will be in stock.

https://tourandride.com/products/sra2159-monokey-rear-rack?_pos=2&_sid=eac643512&_ss=r

Edited by TracerNed
mistake
  • Thumbsup 1

T-Rex has some awesome stuff, I'm gonna order up their frame mount engine guards soon. I'm not a fan of top cases on these bikes, they are already light front end and shorter wheelbase than many bikes, plus I personally think that top cases look awful on anything other than an ADV type machine........hey to each their own right? 😎

• Thumbsup 1

Rad. Thanks for the info! Does anyone have experience with "overloading" the rear end of the bike? Talking 100+ lbs with both panniers and a trunk case? Obviously, I've ridden with a pillion and aside from the bike sitting deeper in its travel, I don't notice any differences while driving. Can't imagine it's all that different with gear weight.

I run a Givi Monkey 47 litre on a Givi SRA2159. "Max5.5 KG inside case" is printed on the SRA2159! I keep the load at no more than about 20 lbs. I put the heavier stuff in the side cases. I don't think the weight limit is a handling issue but a potential mounting plate failure issue. I have lost a topcase on another bike due to a Givi plate failure, although it was NOT the SRA 2159.  

43 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

I would be very surprised if the 2019/2020 rack fit the 21 and up Tracer 9. The mounting points are probably different.

It does not. Confirmed with T-Rex before ordering. They don't have a rack for the 9 GT as far as I'm aware.