Dirt Bikes

kilo3

The time has come, the little one is going to be getting an upgrade from electric to some form of gas bike this winter with some sort of transmission.

So.. what does papa bear get?
We'll be exclusively be riding ATV trails through the woods.

I haven't had a dirt bike since several yz250's back in the 90's.

What am I looking for just to putz around? Two stoke, four stroke, enduro, trail, mx, cripes there's a lot of options out there.

Keep in mind I'm 6'4" 280, so seat height is kinda moot, I can flat foot on a T7.

Someone mentioned klx300? Trr250? Honda something Enduro? Don't bother mentioning KTM, they can rot in hell.

• Supporting Member

How about an XR650 of some flavour ?  Buddy of mine had an XR650r, and loved it.  Rode it hard.  Not destructive hard, or reckless - but absolutely pushed it.  They do indeed live up to their reputation.  The XR650L is a solid choice, too.

...or a CRF300L? Can't go wrong there, either.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

The learning phase of the young one will result in a lot of start/stop riding on your part.  A simple older smaller displacement bike like Honda CRF230 or Yamaha TTR230 would be the perfect size for following behind and coaching and still have enough power for later when they gain a little confidence and speed.  Bulletproof reliability, air-cooled motors and electric start.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Four banger for puttering without question. Once they grow up a 2 smoke will be a blast.

There is a newer CRF250F that’s a great, low impact 4 stroke you’ll have a ton of fun on puttering with the kids on, or if you really want fun there’s a CRF150F that’s around too. 

Stay away from the motocross, high perf models unless you want high maint bikes. You can neglect them, but they’ll make you pay by grenadine at inopportune times. They are an okay play bike but unless you’re on the throttle it’s not super fun. 

The Yammie 230 is a great bike too, as is a WR250R and CRF300L if you’d like to ride on the road.

You’re in the cities as well, I have a ‘10 WR250R in great shape, pretty well setup with under 900 miles on it I just don’t ride much as you can tell. Second owner, bought it in ‘19 from the original owner with under 300 miles on it. I’m looking at selling it to clear space and I just don’t ride it enough to justify it. Pm me if you’re interested, thinking $4,500 or so for it. 

• Thumbsup 1

PXL-20230902-174144550-PORTRAIT.jpgThere's a lot of bikes the offer the "trail" version then the "dual sport version" best I can tell one is street legal and the other isn't. Bout the same prices. Kinda odd.

I think we are going to skip the pw stage and go right to tt-r50or whatever the equivalent is on big red or green.

Edited by kilo3
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I recently got a Kawasaki KLX230. Modern features with linear power and capable for short highway runs with it's mid 70mph top speed it might be worth consideration.

That's the Enduro right? These will be strictly off road, the land of Minnesota really hates off road dirt bikes (ohm), so there isn't a lot of traversing between ridable areas. But yes the 230r version and the 300 of the klx are in question. We'll test the waters with the wifey and kid then go from there if I want to invest anymore.

• Thumbsup 1

7 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

How about a DRZ400 ? If trying to save a few bucks look for the older DR350.

I've owned both and they are both pretty much indestructible and low maintenance, particularly the DR350.

Here's my DR

ZgwOFER.jpg

The problem i Have with enduro's at least in mn is they hold their value like crazy, seems like everyone wants one.
I just saw an 80's XT350 list for 3k...
Pretty much anything that "could be" street legal without jumping through some hoops is priced almost what I'd pay new for a little smaller cc bike.

• Thumbsup 1

You want light as possible, but I'd stay away from anything over 300 cc. You are also going to be contending with subpar suspension "you're a big fella" especially in older bikes/tech so you're likely gonna be spending more than you are wanting anyways. Yes dirtbikes are really holding their value right now, not a good time to be shopping. A Honda XR230 if you can find one may hit the marks for you, however the suspension is going to need upgraded, but something like a Yamaha YZ 250X would make the most sense for you if can find one or maybe a TT-R-230?

I did a cycletrader search for used dirtbikes in Minnesota, you're right.......there is practically nothing on the used market in that state. 😬