T9GT oil consumption

Are any owners of '21-'22 T9GT's experiencing oil consumption issues.

Haven't seen anything posted on the forum.

My '22 T9GT didn't have an oil consumption issue for the first 4K miles. After the 4K service to current mileage of 76XX miles I have added approx. 1 qt. of oil. At the 600 mile service I used Yamalube 10-W40 dyno oil and approx. 2000 miles later switched to Mobile 1 10W-40 4T motorcycle specific full synthetic. A reputable Yamaha dealer performed the 4K mile service using Yamalube 10W-40 full synthetic.

No smoking or visible leaks and crankcase is not over filled. I keep the oil level in the middle of the upper and lower marks.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Ziggy105 said:

Are any owners of '21-'22 T9GT's experiencing oil consumption issues.

Haven't seen anything posted on the forum.

My '22 T9GT didn't have an oil consumption issue for the first 4K miles. After the 4K service to current mileage of 76XX miles I have added approx. 1 qt. of oil. At the 600 mile service I used Yamalube 10-W40 dyno oil and approx. 2000 miles later switched to Mobile 1 10W-40 4T motorcycle specific full synthetic. A reputable Yamaha dealer performed the 4K mile service using Yamalube 10W-40 full synthetic.

No smoking or visible leaks and crankcase is not over filled. I keep the oil level in the middle of the upper and lower marks.

One thing I have found with changing the oil on this motor over the past 78,000 miles is check the level when you change the oil, run it a few minutes and let sit and then check it again, because the level will change.  Run it a few minutes and let it sit again and re-verify the level then fill a few more ounces if needed.  I have never needed to add a drop of oil.

As @Ride365 mentioned, I too keep mine filled more toward the top of the sight glass vs the middle.  Of course all measurements are made with the bike upright and level, NEVER on the side stand.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

Keep it level with the top line.....what I recommend at least. Can't say I have heard any oil consumption issues with any of these CP3 engines regardless of year. 

The '16 FJ-09 with 34,5XX miles that I traded on the T9GT did not use any oil.

That is what has me scratching my head.

I do what the others have posted; keeping the oil level at the upper line. I remember some have said that the oil light will illuminate under brisk acceleration if the oil is kept near the lower line. From what I recall, the oil light reads the level, rather than pressure per se. In regards to oil consumption, I've never seen that on my current '22 T9GT, or on the previous FJ 09 or Tracer 900 GT. I don't think that these engines fully break in until 10,000 miles or so.  Keep an eye on it; it may get better. Also, Check the levels with a repeatable technique, ie cold engine, on centerstand, on same surface each day to see if it really is dropping.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

One thing I have found with changing the oil on this motor over the past 78,000 miles is check the level when you change the oil, run it a few minutes and let sit and then check it again, because the level will change.  Run it a few minutes and let it sit again and re-verify the level then fill a few more ounces if needed.  I have never needed to add a drop of oil.

As @Ride365 mentioned, I too keep mine filled more toward the top of the sight glass vs the middle.  Of course all measurements are made with the bike upright and level, NEVER on the side stand.

THIS 👆 At 68,000+ miles I have NEVER had to add a drop of oil between services. While I don't do track days at all, or wheelies much any longer. I'm still fairly quick and don't mind riding fast. If you're adding oil, something is up.. Just my $.02. YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

My 21 T9GT at 19k miles doesn't use any discernible amount of oil. I use Yamalube 10W40 full synth, and have used this since my break-in oil change at 600 miles.  I have done every oil change myself, and keep a close eye on oil level.  One thing my Tracer does not do is burn oil.  I put the level near the top line on the glass and it stays there until the next oil change.  I ride moderately-aggressive.  Some hard pulls to near redline, but mostly I stay within reason on the freeways.

This is the first time I've heard of oil consumption on a Tracer.

However I have had one other Yamaha oil-consumer, a 1997 Royal Star.  It started using oil around 3k miles and never stopped.  When I sold it at 75k miles, it was running great but would burn a full quart between changes.  Spark plugs always looked good, no build up of carbon to speak of.  It was a great motor, I just had to keep an eye on the level.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I'll echo what everyone is saying here:

Had roughly 30K miles on my 2015' FJ09 and never had any noticeable oil consumption.

Now at just over 7K miles on my 2021 T9GT and no noticeable oil consumption.

Are you sure the dealer didn't fill to the lower line at 4K and you never noticed it until you looked again at 7xxx?

-OR-

There's also the possibility that they didn't put enough oil in for an oil + filter change. Did they also replace the oil filter?
image.png.c0f45bec9568e41ba48e486a29b97b67.png

With an oil + filter change the oil level will be inaccurate until first startup, which at that point the oil gets distributed through the engine and filter. There will always be some oil that sits in the filter, this will cause the oil level to be lower at the sight glass after you let the bike settle until you top it off to the correct amount.

The oil level would've looked properly topped off at first glance. Then first startup and subsequent rides would've brought the oil level lower as the filter now holds some of the oil, and you'd need to top off to get back to the upper line.

Just my ideas. You said stated that you have No smoking or visible leaks. Oil doesn't just disappear that fast without an easy to see symptom. In this case the obvious answer is that someone made a mistake.

Rode the bike home from the dealer after the 4K mile service, approx. 25 miles and checked the oil level-near the upper mark at the window. Did a 900 mile trip and didn't check the oil level until returning home from the trip and oil level was below the lower mark at the window. Oh s**t! Added 12 oz. of oil to bring level to middle of lower and upper marks. I now monitor oil level after each ride, which is usually no less than 100 miles and have been adding oil in varying amounts for a total of approx. 1 qt. in 3600 miles and as stated no smoking or leaks.

Bike will be out of warranty in less than a week and at this point I am going to purchase a YES Yamaha extended warranty. I am going to perform the 8K mile oil change in preparation for a 1500-2000 mile trip and monitor oil consumption on the trip.

I will update the situation on the forum and thanks for the input.

• Thumbsup 2

Oil just doesn’t evaporate. 
Heres my 2 cents worth…..

Check the air box for oil.

Check plugs for burning oil.

And here is the fun one….do a leak down test. This may not really be needed. 

I would not wait to take it to a dealer.

Oils gotta be going somewhere

Check the exhaust outlet, does the soot look normal and dry or thick and oily. Buying the extended warranty would be fine, but if I were you, I'd get to the dealer before the original warranty is up and open a warranty claim for excessive engine oil consumption. If the claim is made before the warranty runs out, you should be  covered for subsequent repairs if needed. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update on oil consumption issue.

I performed the 8K mile service using Mobil 1 full synthetic 10W-40 4T motorcycle oil and did a 1600 mile plus trip. Oil level did not drop.

I do not know what brand or weight oil the dealer used when performing the 4K mile service (was supposed to be Yamalube 10W-40 full synthetic) but the dealer installed oil appears to have been the issue.

Edited by Ziggy105
  • Thumbsup 1