80 mph.. seriously?

Solomookie

14 minutes ago, Jfundo said:

I wonder what my limit should be with my shad semi-hard cases on my non-GT?  I have a feeling I broke the rules there.  Or maybe the rules don't apply?  I need to take it up with the yamaha supreme court.

I can confirm that I have verified on a closed course (the track I lovingly refer to as that State of West Virginia) that the saddlebags do significantly limit my top speed to about 125.  And that is with them empty.

WV, eh? That is one of my favorite tracks! Besides great roads.. they also don't have reciprocity with PA. (No points on my PA licence for transgressions).

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Jfundo said:

That is interesting.  Is it the same for NY?  Not that it matters much, I never saw track security once while I was there. 

Definitely not a big presence, but a couple of our guys have been caught over the years. I'm not sure whether NY transfers points.

7 hours ago, RomKnight said:

So wait you get a ticket if above speed limit announced for the cases even if below the road speed limit? Am I interpreting right?

No, you definitely aren't an accomplished law scholar are you?  Speeding tickets are caused by the police being in the wrong place at the wrong time and them having some weird hangup about their perceived "speed limit" and decide to waste your time and money.  There really is nothing about it that it is our fault.

Exceeding the recommended speed with cases simply brings extreme shame amongst your family and more importantly your motorcycling brethren.  We don't approve of the excessive risk taking caused by going more than 80 with cases on.  Total embarrassment to the hobby. 

I would elaborate more, but I'm late for my moorish citizen meetup.  I'm the speaker tonight. 

But those Virginia drivers sure let loose once they are out of Virginia -  similar to Ontario drivers 🙂 

Never had a stability issue with my side cases and 58L duffle on the rear seat.  A couple of miles on western interstates with 80MPH speed limits.

Returning to the original post... just sharing some examples of the 80mph/130kmh limit recommendation as pretty much a universal 'boilerplate' liability statement (Your FJR's recommendation seems like an outlier... or a typo).

Honda GL1800 Goldwing manual:

GL1800

Honda ST1300 manual:

ST1300

Yamaha 50L top case manual:

Yamaha top case

SW-Motech SysBags:

SW Motech

Givi Trekker:

Givi

And now for some cognitive dissonance... Dold Industries / Ventura Bag - installation instructions:

Ventura installation

And Dold Industries / Ventura Bag - website FAQ:

Ventura FAQ

• Thumbsup 1

Cancel the King of the Baggers racing, 80mph top speed is pretty boring racing.

Sounds like there isn't much science involved if the limit applies no matter the bags, bike, riding conditions, etc.  In a dearth of proven facts I'll rely on my own assumptions and experiences.  How do we join up with the official rebellion?

I saw the sticker on my Givi outback 42L saying "LIMIT is 120 KPH (which is ~75mph)"...

Cruising speed here is quite high (>85mph), but guess what ? nothing happens when riding >75mph.

Those stickers are just there for the manufacturer to decline all responsibility if anything happen to someone riding over the speed they defined as safe.

Ride withing your skills, and you shall be fine.

Just remember that more weight means longer stopping distance.

Edited by Xstoff

On 11/28/2023 at 4:49 PM, Jfundo said:

Cancel the King of the Baggers racing, 80mph top speed is pretty boring racing.

The droves of fans who came out to resurrect road racing in the US would disagree with that statement.  Or any MX or flat track event.

On 11/30/2023 at 1:32 AM, ZigMerid said:

As would the Postie Challenge folk. Not *quite* a race, but still...

https://www.postiebikechallenge.org

That looks incredible!  And frankly, I don’t think the cost is out of question. Certainly non-trivial, but there looks like a lot of value … and it would tick a bucket list item for me. You just added a little bit of light to an otherwise dark time of year. Thanks for sharing!

• Thumbsup 2