80 mph.. seriously?

Solomookie

I was leafing through the manual for my GT+, and I happened across something that I still can't believe. I was checking on the operation of the side cases. There is a caution that says "don't go over 80 mph with the side cases on". Whuuuut??!! My FJR manual has a similar warning. Its warning is don't go over 140 mph with the side cases on. I remember thinking that there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of me going 140. Every time I close in on triple digits, my brain screams YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS IS GOING TO COST IF YOU GET CAUGHT?!!! On the other hand... 80 mph is standard cruising speed. There are places in the northwest where the SPEED LIMIT is 80, for Pete's sake. The chances of me NOT going 80 with the side cases on are slim and none; and slim left town. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Supporting Member

For whatever it’s worth, I either (a) didn’t see that warning, or (b) chose to just blatantly disregard said warning, because my first-year FJ (the unstable short-wheelbase version) has been north of 120 mph on many occasions, all with the factory saddlebags hanging out there in the breeze…   Never been a problem. 

• Thumbsup 2

On the rare occasions I am riding the interstate, I have set the cruise at 85 mph with the bags attached and loaded, and never had an issue with any sort of instability.  I have a 2019 GT.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

It's more of a suggestion. Kinda like your mother saying "Be a good boy" Or maybe plausible deniability. The corporation saying "See! Right here we told them it was dangerous."  

I have been in triple digits with side cases a small pelican box on the luggage rack and a 30lb dry bag on the passenger seat. 

It was fine.  

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I had GIVI V35 cases and 40L top box on my FZ-01 and there were warnings on both not to exceed 75mph.  Really!  That conbo has seen triple digits.

Fast forward to today and the T9GT with stock sides and a SHAD SH45 on top.  I believe that the 80mph warning is due to the aerodynamics of the luggage and they are concerned with maintaining stability on the road.  With all the cases on you can expect more wind buffeting especially from the draft of an on coming Semi.  I haven't really noticed any stability issues from cross winds even as I "approach" trip;e digits.

I have the yamaha's side cases and the 43L... 45L top box (i forgot but it is not the big one). 1st thing I did after leaving the shop was going up to 160km/h (roughly 100mph).

Silky straight, no steering wobble, nothing. Granted, I'll never cruise at those speeds with the wife (which is when I'll use cases) so, I'm good.

Only thing I worry about it the preload at the back that I ALWAYS forget to set when I load the bike. Even the wife notices it!

The tracer 9 gt+ just gets better the more I ride it and that's owners should think about it. It's all about enjoying it. Yamaha did make a "transparent" bike. Start, steer, forget. I think I just came up with something to put on a t-shirt :D

I think that the intent of my original post was misconstrued. I have no worries about whether I can ride the Tracer past 80 with the side cases on. I am struck by the absurdity of the manual for my '15 FJR saying don't go over 140, while the Tracer's manual puts that limit at 80 for bags with practically the same mounting set up. That's all I was getting at.

I wonder what my limit should be with my shad semi-hard cases on my non-GT?  I have a feeling I broke the rules there.  Or maybe the rules don't apply?  I need to take it up with the yamaha supreme court.

I can confirm that I have verified on a closed course (the track I lovingly refer to as that State of West Virginia) that the saddlebags do significantly limit my top speed to about 125.  And that is with them empty.

• Thumbsup 1