Jump to content

Oil changed. Now motor is buzzy.


Recommended Posts

Did the 600 mile oil change. 
Put in Mobile 1 MC Racing synthetic. 
Now bike is buzzy. 
It had vibration before but it was tolerable. Now it’s putting my hands to sleep. 
Only change is the oil, filter, and I cleaned and lubed the chain with Motul. 
Why buzzy now? Any info on this type of oil regarding?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never used Mobil 1 racing oil, but have used Mobil 1 motorcycle oils ever since they were first sold in the USA around 20 years ago.  Never a problem.

I looked up Mobil 1 Racing Oil and saw various locations discussing oils in viscosities like 0-50.  Might be outside the recommended. I've always used 10W40 Yamalube synthetic.

 

Also, is this a wet clutch compatible oil?

 

Edited by KrustyKush
  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KrustyKush said:

I've never used Mobil 1 racing oil, but have used Mobil 1 motorcycle oils ever since they were first sold in the USA around 20 years ago.  Never a problem.

I looked up Mobil 1 Racing Oil and saw various locations discussing oils in viscosities like 0-50.  Might be outside the recommended. I've always used 10W40 Yamalube synthetic.

 

Also, is this a wet clutch compatible oil?

 

It’s 10w40. 
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-racing-4t-10w-40

Don’t know about wet clutch compatible. They file it as motorcycle oil so I’d think it compatible. Anyway no clutch problems since change. 

I am seeing now other sites people saying it’s noisy oil. Valve train etc. But not much said about vibration although might be related.  
I picked this oil because it was the most chosen in a MC user survey I found. 
I might have to dump it ($60 with filter) and go back to Yamalube. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never had any issues with Mobil 1 in my Kawi C14, but since I bought my T9GT new, decided to stick with the YamaLube and switched to synthetic after the 600 mile break-in. 

If the oil + filter was your only change, I suspect it's the oil. Other than brand and maybe the wet clutch compatibility, its possible its too light?! I would also go over the handlebar and front section including the wheel to ensure everything is tightened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

Did the 600 mile oil change. 
Put in Mobile 1 MC Racing synthetic. 
Now bike is buzzy. 
It had vibration before but it was tolerable. Now it’s putting my hands to sleep. 
Only change is the oil, filter, and I cleaned and lubed the chain with Motul. 
Why buzzy now? Any info on this type of oil regarding?

Did you adjust the chain by any chance.  It is pretty easy to over tighten the chain slack.

  • Thumbsup 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
6 hours ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

Did the 600 mile oil change. 
Put in Mobile 1 MC Racing synthetic. 
Now bike is buzzy.

Now that the break-in is finished are you now operating the bike at higher rpm's?  Different motors react differently at various rpm's, if you are now riding at higher rpm's than you did before you may be discovering a different characteristic of the motor that you weren't exposed to before, possibly more vibrations at a certain rpm range?

As @whisperquiet mentioned, make sure you have plenty of chain slack.  I'm not sure what the newer Tracer9 models recommend for slack, but previous models owners manuals recommended VERY tight chain tension and some overly high bolt torque settings.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

Did you adjust the chain by any chance.  It is pretty easy to over tighten the chain slack.

Nope. 
Only change was the oil, filter, and I cleaned and lubed the chain with Motul. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, kilo3 said:

Works good for me, most everyone carries it so that's what I use.

You sure your not fooling yourself/getting used to the bike now/past the honeymoon phase?

No. Same riding. The change in vibration was instant, following oil change. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, betoney said:

Now that the break-in is finished are you now operating the bike at higher rpm's?  Different motors react differently at various rpm's, if you are now riding at higher rpm's than you did before you may be discovering a different characteristic of the motor that you weren't exposed to before, possibly more vibrations at a certain rpm range?

As @whisperquiet mentioned, make sure you have plenty of chain slack.  I'm not sure what the newer Tracer9 models recommend for slack, but previous models owners manuals recommended VERY tight chain tension and some overly high bolt torque settings.

No. Same riding. The change in vibration was instant, following oil change. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member

I am sure most will not like my reply. That's fine, if you think differently, no problem.

I am not so sure our cross-plane triple motors like synthetic oil all that much. On the surface, that statement seems ridiculous. However, I can only report my experiences from direct observation and use.

I think it was the 2nd oil change (after 600-mile change) that I swapped from full petroleum YamaLube to full synthetic 15w-50 YamaLube. I could immediately  tell the engine had new noises that it just did not have before. We all know our clutch baskets are noisy, our valve train can tick, etc. But these noises were different. They seem most pronounce at idle, or just off-idle. Still, the bike ran just as perfect as before.

Ran that oil for it's normal 4K interval, then the next change, back to YamaLube AT 10w-40. Started the bike, and I was amazed that those noises were gone altogether. I can't explain this.

Late summer 2022, with 16,000 miles on the odo, on a lark I tried YamaLube full synthetic again. Same identical results... a much nosier engine. Again, can't explain it, can't think of any explanation for it. The bike runs just fine - it's just nosier.

I am at 22,500 miles now, back to AT 10w-40, the bike is not that noisy, other than normal clutch basket noises. 

The bike has always ran perfectly regardless of the oil.

  • Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, Warchild said:

I am sure most will not like my reply. That's fine, if you think differently, no problem.

I am not so sure our cross-plane triple motors like synthetic oil all that much. On the surface, that statement seems ridiculous. However, I can only report my experiences from direct observation and use.

I think it was the 2nd oil change (after 600-mile change) that I swapped from full petroleum YamaLube to full synthetic 15w-50 YamaLube. I could immediately  tell the engine had new noises that it just did not have before. We all know our clutch baskets are noisy, our valve train can tick, etc. But these noises were different. They seem most pronounce at idle, or just off-idle. Still, the bike ran just as perfect as before.

Ran that oil for it's normal 4K interval, then the next change, back to YamaLube AT 10w-40. Started the bike, and I was amazed that those noises were gone altogether. I can't explain this.

Late summer 2022, with 16,000 miles on the odo, on a lark I tried YamaLube full synthetic again. Same identical results... a much nosier engine. Again, can't explain it, can't think of any explanation for it. The bike runs just fine - it's just nosier.

I am at 22,500 miles now, back to AT 10w-40, the bike is not that noisy, other than normal clutch basket noises. 

The bike has always ran perfectly regardless of the oil.

You're not crazy, I've posted on here before the CP3 engine seems to shift better and runs smoother on semi-synthetic oil according to my hands and butt.

My dealership mechanic also swears by it; when the dealership employee is telling you to buy cheaper semi-synthetic oil from Amazon rather than the full synthetic marked up on their shelf it's something to consider.

  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have mostly run Motul 7100 full synthetic since first change, and I found everything mechanical engine noise to be less with this oil, also the shifting is butter and stays that way clear up to the change. I will admit that Belray semi syn also shifted nice and had quiet engine mechanical noise as well, but I just like that blood red oil too much. LOL

Perhaps the OP should do as he mentioned, swap out the oil for regular Yamalube dino and see what happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×