New tire before trip? I can't read tread for beans

The PR2 is a very good tire. Not as good in rain as the PR3 or 4, but still a very good tire. I'd be just a bit concerned about age. What is the date code on it?

Good point however I believe the PR2s are still in production. That said, may be worth checking the date stamp on it to be sure. I ran 3 sets on my VFR before the PR3s came out. It was a good tire but has definitely been superseded by newer technologies. Make sure you get a good feel for it!

• Premium Member
I think the PR2 is an old design but still shows as available on the website. Not unusual as it may be the only approved fitment for some models
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

If memory serves, the date code would look something like this   9014    Meaning it was made the 90th day of 2014, so end of March of 14.  It is stamped into the sidewall.  But in just one place, on one side of the tire.

Typically 5 years is the longest you want to use a tire.  Depends upon storage conditions to an extent, direct sunlight would dry it out much sooner than a dark cool area.  I wouldn't want to put on a set of tires that was more than 2-3 yrs old.  Since the PR2 appears to possibly still be in production, you should be fine.

• Premium Member
If memory serves, the date code would look something like this   9014    Meaning it was made the 90th day of 2014, so end of March of 14.  It is stamped into the sidewall.  But in just one place, on one side of the tire. 
Typically 5 years is the longest you want to use a tire.  Depends upon storage conditions to an extent, direct sunlight would dry it out much sooner than a dark cool area.  I wouldn't want to put on a set of tires that was more than 2-3 yrs old.  Since the PR2 appears to possibly still be in production, you should be fine.
Close. I believe it's WWYY, so week of the year (1-52) and year (20YY)
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Close. I believe it's WWYY, so week of the year (1-52) and year (20YY)
if you are being picky, it will be 01-52...always a 4 digit code
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

They still make PR2,PR3 PR4 , I have been using these tires for years . For me the better tire is the PR3, they stick better and last longer then the PR2.On the PR4 ( I have them on my Tuono) it seems they made the harder compound patch bigger so for me the feedback isn't as good as the PR3

• Premium Member
They still make PR2,PR3 PR4 , I have been using these tires for years . For me the better tire is the PR3, they stick better and last longer then the PR2.On the PR4 ( I have them on my Tuono) it seems they made the harder compound patch bigger so for me the feedback isn't as good as the PR3
are you comparing the same version of PR3 with PR4?

All come in a normal, GT & Trail version.

GT has a higher load weighting so stiffer sidewalls. Each has the same sticky compound on the outer bands and the same harder compound in the middle. The width of the middle band varies depending on which version you use. I don't have the figures for the comparative widths, but maybe they widths did vary from PR3 to PR4?

I only used the PR3 then PR4 in the Trail version on a Super Tenere. I can't say I noticed any difference from one to the other.

Archived