• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Installed Puig touring windshield..  

without photographic evidence we don't believe you :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
without photographic evidence we don't believe you :)
DSC04854_zpsbanzc67z.jpg
DSC04855_zpscpphbjdh.jpg

;)
Nice. Side view? bottom to top distance?
Ride review concerning noise and turbulence?
Sorry for all the questions but I like that windscreen.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

DSC04854_zpsbanzc67z.jpg DSC04855_zpscpphbjdh.jpg

;)
Nice. Side view? bottom to top distance?
Ride review concerning noise and turbulence?
Sorry for all the questions but I like that windscreen.

Going to the garage to take some pics, be right back with the rest of the info

DSC_0001_zpsjiwkyhva.jpg
DSC_0002_zpslel3fuyg.jpg

I don't have the exact distance but in the puig site they measure it at 64cm from top to bottom and 41 at the widest part of the screen.

Riding review, first I have to be honest, I HATED the OEM screen, I'm 171 (5"7ish) and use an AGV ax8 dual carbon so it has a beak, and I couldn't find any position in which the standard screen wasn't a nightmare, I ended up removing the beak from the helmet and dropping the screen to it's lowest setting, deafening wind noise, but at least the turbulence wasn't killing me, it was still awful.

So any change would be a welcome one, and to be honest this screen is the best thing I've done to the fj, my life is happier, my neck relaxed and my helmet has its beak back, it's still at the lowest position, about an inch under my eyes, wind turbulence is gone, the flow hits me right on top of my head, I can use the visor semi open and no wind gets in my eyes, just the pleasure of the open road and not having to deal with fog.

Wind noise levels have dropped significantly, I'm starting to think the fairing has a lot to do with it, but my hearing is safe (still use ear plugs most of the time) but it's on par with the wind noise on my k50.

I'm pretty much in love with the damn thing, that piece of plastic changed drastically my life on board of the fj.

So would I recommended? Let me put it this way, knowing what I know now, I would've ordered the windshield before buying the bike, so I'd have it the day they delivered my fj, it's the best mod, and the most dramatic change I've felt on any bike (25 years riding, 30+ bikes, thousands of mods) I love the fj but had no place for it, I have a bike for long hauls, a naked bike to act stupid & scooter to run errands around town, I bought the fj for short distance touring. The first time I tried to do some light touring on the FJ the thing tried to rip my head off, now if there isn't any off road I'll take the fj over the K50 every time.

A bit on the dramatic side I know, but I really loved the bike and hated with every fiber of my being the standard screen...

Went to the dealer today to grab an oil filter and to inquire about the availability of heated grips. To my surprise, he had one set in stock! Otherwise, he said it was a 2 month backorder....
At *least* 2 months. I'm more than three and a half months into my wait for the things to show up. It was a joke that I might not have them by fall when the first two backorder dates passed without any grips. Now it's not a joke anymore, it's ridiculous. 
I don't know how much longer I'm willing to wait before I order a non-Yamaha set (which would be about 70% less expensive!). I would really like them now, please.

[span]   I'm still waiting for mine as well... since April.  Seeing these come in and out of stock other places is starting to irritate me.  I think I'll go have a talk with my dealer this week.[/span] 

Went to the dealer today to grab an oil filter and to inquire about the availability of heated grips. To my surprise, he had one set in stock! Otherwise, he said it was a 2 month backorder....
At *least* 2 months. I'm more than three and a half months into my wait for the things to show up. It was a joke that I might not have them by fall when the first two backorder dates passed without any grips. Now it's not a joke anymore, it's ridiculous. 
I don't know how much longer I'm willing to wait....

You won't need them for the Canadian Assault Jim, it's not that cold up here in September. Maybe for the Leaf Peep...
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
I don't know how much longer I'm willing to wait before I order a non-Yamaha set (which would be about 70% less expensive!). I would really like them now, please.

Jim, is this a local Yamaha dealer, or online?
A dealer.  You cannot order the Yamaha grip heaters online from Yamaha, only through dealers.  I would think that my dealer sucks if it were not the case that 1) I've dealt with them for years as a Suzuki customer and never had any problem like this; 2) They were fine with many of the things I ordered for the FJ; and 3) They were up-front with me about the difficulty in getting some parts out of Yamaha ("almost everything that's expensive, like luggage"). 
Since I haven't needed heated grips for the last couple of months I've not been stressed about it, but at this point I'm starting to wonder if I'll get them by fall.  I'd really like to have them sometime in the next two weeks before I do a lot of riding in the mountains on the way up to Canada.  Maybe it will be nice up in the mountains, but if it isn't....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

[span]   I'm still waiting for mine as well... since April.  Seeing these come in and out of stock other places is starting to irritate me.  I think I'll go have a talk with my dealer this week.[/span]

In a way.. I'm glad I'm not the only person waiting for these grips. It is annoying to see that a dealership in SoCal had the grips just sitting around in stock when there are tons of back orders to be filled. I've paid for the grips in June and am still waiting to get them. I really want to go with the OEM set as they integrate into the onboard menu screen, otherwise I would have requested a refund and bought some aftermarkets by now. Here's to waiting!

• Premium Member
In a way.. I'm glad I'm not the only person waiting for these grips. It is annoying to see that a dealership in SoCal had the grips just sitting around in stock when there are tons of back orders to be filled. I've paid for the grips in June and am still waiting to get them. I really want to go with the OEM set as they integrate into the onboard menu screen, otherwise I would have requested a refund and bought some aftermarkets by now. Here's to waiting!

Yea, the idea that some dealer had them sitting in stock while I've waited four months set me off, too.

My dealer just got back to me and quoted September 30. This is at least the sixth date they've given me, none of which has been accurate so far.

I'm trying Cucamonga and the suggestion of someone on this forum (who will be nameless because I already can't remember who, but thank you! :-) because "what the hell." The worst that happens is that they can't get them either. If they come through I'll cancel the order with my dealer, and finally close out the FJ purchase I started on April 1st.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

DSC_0001_zpsjiwkyhva.jpg DSC_0002_zpslel3fuyg.jpg

I don't have the exact distance but in the puig site they measure it at 64cm from top to bottom and 41 at the widest part of the screen.

Riding review, first I have to be honest, I HATED the OEM screen, I'm 171 (5"7ish) and use an AGV ax8 dual carbon so it has a beak, and I couldn't find any position in which the standard screen wasn't a nightmare, I ended up removing the beak from the helmet and dropping the screen to it's lowest setting, deafening wind noise, but at least the turbulence wasn't killing me, it was still awful.

So any change would be a welcome one, and to be honest this screen is the best thing I've done to the fj, my life is happier, my neck relaxed and my helmet has its beak back, it's still at the lowest position, about an inch under my eyes, wind turbulence is gone, the flow hits me right on top of my head, I can use the visor semi open and no wind gets in my eyes, just the pleasure of the open road and not having to deal with fog.

Wind noise levels have dropped significantly, I'm starting to think the fairing has a lot to do with it, but my hearing is safe (still use ear plugs most of the time) but it's on par with the wind noise on my k50.

I'm pretty much in love with the damn thing, that piece of plastic changed drastically my life on board of the fj.

So would I recommended? Let me put it this way, knowing what I know now, I would've ordered the windshield before buying the bike, so I'd have it the day they delivered my fj, it's the best mod, and the most dramatic change I've felt on any bike (25 years riding, 30+ bikes, thousands of mods) I love the fj but had no place for it, I have a bike for long hauls, a naked bike to act stupid & scooter to run errands around town, I bought the fj for short distance touring. The first time I tried to do some light touring on the FJ the thing tried to rip my head off, now if there isn't any off road I'll take the fj over the K50 every time.

A bit on the dramatic side I know, but I really loved the bike and hated with every fiber of my being the standard screen...

I notice you didn't remove the hand protector deflector piece, which the instructions say to do. Do they clear the shield or interfere? I have one incoming and I'd like to leave them on if they don't interfere.
//QED

DSC_0001_zpsjiwkyhva.jpg DSC_0002_zpslel3fuyg.jpg

I notice you didn't remove the hand protector deflector piece, which the instructions say to do. Do they clear the shield or interfere? I have one incoming and I'd like to leave them on if they don't interfere.

They do hit the windshield, when doing garage maneuvers, but in normal day to day riding they don't.
I did remove them while installing it, but it looked so ugly I went ahead and put them back on and see how bad it was, and it's acceptable, at least to me they are far from intruding in any riding maneuver, and I just try to be careful in the garage.
Anyway, I did order the handsavers from puig, I really like how they look.

They do hit the windshield, when doing garage maneuvers, but in normal day to day riding they don't. I did remove them while installing it, but it looked so ugly I went ahead and put them back on and see how bad it was, and it's acceptable, at least to me they are far from intruding in any riding maneuver, and I just try to be careful in the garage.
Anyway, I did order the handsavers from puig, I really like how they look.
I agree the hand guards from puig look really good with the windshield.  I wanted to order them but they are not carried by BS motorsports, where I had to order the screen.  I have not found anywhere to buy them.
//QED