What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Installed Bridgestone T30 tires

In addition to adding the SW MOTECH side racks, mentioned in a previous post, I also mounted some new tires.

I had good luck with the OEM Dunlop 222 tires, but after about 6100 miles, they were starting to get seriously squared off. Recently, on two generations of Multistradas, I was very happy with the Michelin Pirelli Pilot Road 2. I like how supple they make the bike feel and I always got 6000-7000 miles out of a set. On the other hand, I had a unused Bridgeston T30 rear tire in the garage that I originally bought for my FZ1 but I decided to put it on the FJ-09 instead and got a new T30 front tire to go with it.

Over the years, I liked the Bridgestone BT020, BT021, and BT023 series as they were are good blend of road feel and durability and they were always about $90 less per set than similar tires, so it seemed reasonable to give the new T30s a try.

The FJ-09 is my first bike with ABS and the Yamaha service manual says to remove the sensors before removing the wheels -- along with other dire warnings about not dropping the sensors, not getting grease on them, or exposing them to magnets. I removed the sensors from their mounts and taped them in plastic bags. I did not wrap them in foam :)

After mounting the new tires, reinstalling the wheels, especially inserting the axles, while keeping the various spacers, the front ABS sensor mount, and the rear brake caliper holder all aligned really benefits from having a third or fourth hand. Unfortunately, I did not have that available so I muddled along as usual. In the end, everything fit to my relief.

I have about 1200 miles on the T30s now, including a 1000 mile back road weekend trip, most of which was on wet roads in medium  drizzly conditions. I'm not a particularly hard charging rider so I haven't explored the absolute limits of the tires, but so far, I'm quite happy the Bridgestones.

- Blind Joe Beck

• Premium Member
What kind of heated grips are those, I got the Oxford from the dealer that is not intergrated like those.
The OEM ones, I replied to your other thread :)

After inspecting and installing the Yamaha grips it appears to me that the grips themselves aren't anything special.

I had originally thought that the high cost of the Yamaha grips was the result of needing a controller that integrated with the Yamaha control system. Instead, it appears that the controller resides on the bike and the grips just wire straight into that. The cost seems to be at least in part because of the fancy replacement for the shell around the throttle tube/cables with one that contains space for the extra loop of wire for the grip. That's nice, but hardly necessary.

This opens up the possibility that you might be able to get integrated heated grips on a budget by wiring aftermarket grips into the existing wiring loom/controller. There may be a difference in resistance between the Yamaha grips and aftermarket grips, but if so you could wire in resistors to compensate. Given that a set of Oxford grips is only about $90, this would be only one-third the cost of Yamaha's grips, and of course you can get Oxford grips on Amazon delivered within a couple of days versus the five and a half months I had to wait for Yamaha's grips.

I'm sure this would void the warranty if anything went wrong, but matching the resistance of the stock grips ought to be drop-dead simple and I think low-risk. I am not motivated to try it since I finally got the Yamaha grips, but I would be willing to perform a resistance measurement if someone were interested. Or perhaps someone who hasn't installed the Yamaha grips yet (you know who you are) could measure it, saving me the effort of taking the body panels off again.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Recently, on two generations of Multistradas, I was very happy with the Pirelli Pilot Road 2.

I think you mean Michelin PR2s, not Pirelli.

I ran a couple sets of PR3s on my old Daytona and liked them a lot. Very good stick even in cold, good water rejection, and good edge grip (better than the D222, that's for sure). I don't know about longevity since I flatted the first set and sold the bike still wearing the second set, but it was certainly "good enough".

I've heard that the PR4s aren't as good in some respects as the PR3s, so I'm planning to replace the D222s with PR3s as soon as I burn them up. I had thought that would be next spring/summer, but it's kind of looking like I'll need a new rear within the next month or so.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

In a way.. I'm glad I'm not the only person waiting for these grips. It is annoying to see that a dealership in SoCal had the grips just sitting around in stock when there are tons of back orders to be filled. I've paid for the grips in June and am still waiting to get them. I really want to go with the OEM set as they integrate into the onboard menu screen, otherwise I would have requested a refund and bought some aftermarkets by now. Here's to waiting!
Yea, the idea that some dealer had them sitting in stock while I've waited four months set me off, too. 
My dealer just got back to me and quoted September 30. This is at least the sixth date they've given me, none of which has been accurate so far.

I'm trying Cucamonga and the suggestion of someone on this forum (who will be nameless because I already can't remember who, but thank you! :-) because "what the hell." The worst that happens is that they can't get them either. If they come through I'll cancel the order with my dealer, and finally close out the FJ purchase I started on April 1st.

Hey @jimf, I saw another post and it looks like you finally got your grips! I was able to take delivery of mine on Friday afternoon.

I called a day or two before then inquiring where they were. The parts dude at my local dealership told me to expect November. To my surprise, he called back and said he searched through all west coast dealerships and was able to have an in-stock item pulled and shipped.

My advice to anyone waiting on any factory part, ask your parts rep do some leg work and search inventory from other dealerships. I guess the yamaha inventory system doesn't give priority to dealers with pre/back-orders, which doesn't make sense to me. He couldn't really explain it either.

Avoided assassination by jihadist deer >:D on two separate occasions during an evening ride near Clifton, VA!  Brakes worked great in ABS 8D - No problem with back brake locking, front pulled down nicely, could feel the pulses in my fingers.  

First attempt at taking me out was in a straight, second was Bambi coming off the bank in a corner. Stopped so fast the SUV behind me almost got me.  I should know better than to ride the twisties at dusk in a forest, but was knobbing with light set up. Almost satisfied.  Want lights bright enough so I don't "out-ride" them.

Does anyone know if there's a brighter light for the stock headlight?

Aside from that, I have four mods left on the bike's punch list - ECU from Nels, rear, front suspension and steering damper if needed.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I think you mean Michelin PR2s, not Pirelli. 
I ran a couple sets of PR3s on my old Daytona and liked them a lot. Very good stick even in cold, good water rejection, and good edge grip (better than the D222, that's for sure). I don't know about longevity since I flatted the first set and sold the bike still wearing the second set, but it was certainly "good enough".

I've heard that the PR4s aren't as good in some respects as the PR3s, so I'm planning to replace the D222s with PR3s as soon as I burn them up. I had thought that would be next spring/summer, but it's kind of looking like I'll need a new rear within the next month or so.

jimf, what did you hear about the PR4's?  Was looking at the PR4's as the front gives better stopping in the wet...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
jimf, what did you hear about the PR4's?  Was looking at the PR4's as the front gives better stopping in the wet...
I heard that they were a bit (but not a lot) less sticky than the PR2s and PR3s, perhaps a result of pushing for longer life.  It may be that I'd still be happy with the PR4s despite this, but I was so happy with the PR3s that I will use them as long as I can get them. 
Actually, now that I'm on the topic, my favorite tire combo lately was the Pilot Power on the front and PR3 rear.  The PP was noticeably stickier than the PR3.  The PP burned up relatively quickly, but not quicker than a PR3 rear, so I could just change them as a set.  From tread pattern I would have thought that the PR3 would be better than the PP in wet, but I had no problem with either.

My experience with those tires is from a previous bike, I'm not quite burned through the stock D222s on the FJ yet.  The rear should hit wear bars in the next few weeks.  I'm trying to decide if I want to put a PR3 on the rear and keep the D222 front, since the front is still in very good shape, or ditch the D222 in favor of PP or PR3 because I like the characteristics of the Michelins better.  Not enough better that it's an easy choice though; mostly I like the D222s just fine, except that they don't have quite the edge grip of the Michelins.  The fact that I actually noticed this surprises me, and if I'm completely honest with myself I ought not to be pushing hard enough on the road for it to make a difference.  But I have, on occasion, and it would be nice if the bike were more planted.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Installed a set of Grip Puppies. I was having a problem with my hands getting a little tingly when on longer rides. I think these will help a lot. Good reviews and they are supposed to work well with heated grips. 
grip_puppy_packed.jpgI installed my puppies and felt a world of difference!  I use a clamp on cruise control when my hand needs a rest but 80 % improvement and I enjoy the larger feeling grips as well.

Went for a great ride with my youngest son. He is 32 and rides a 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 636. While the ride was thoroughly enjoyable, as it always is, we switched bikes for a while. I was quickly reminded that I am 63 years old and no longer can bend myself into the shape of a pretzel. Once back on my FJ-09 I remembered why I bought it. This is a great bike. Performs well, is comfortable and I can sit on it like a human being.  
Having said all that, I would ride any bike just to keep my riding relationship with my two sons. Those are great times, no matter what bike you are on.
I am glad to hear about your riding relationship with your boys.  I am 60 with a 35 year old son who rides a Honda sport touring and takes trips with me as well.  Nothing beats it!