What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Have you had a chance to ride with the GPS in that position yet? How are the vibrations through the mount to the GPS? I only ask because I killed a Garmin Zumo by mounting it on a reservoir cover on my FJR.
I have a friend who mounted his GPS on the windscreen bracket of an FJR and said that he was worried it would break the bracket, it bounced around so much.  As such he was skeptical of doing it on the FJ.  (He also owns an FJ, BTW, we have a fair selection of FJ owners in my favorite riding group.) 
I don't know what the FJR's bracket looks like, but I have a hard time believing that the FJ's bracket can't hold the added load -- both because it's fairly beefy metal (both the screen support and especially the sliding base) and because the bracket is supported by four substantial bolts around the mounting area hupelde used.  I'm more worried about the whole bracket bouncing around since it's all but impossible to screw down the screen slider firmly enough to prevent that, at least not with the stock hand knobs.

Anyway, I would also love to hear how stable the mounting is in practice, although I do intend to give it a try myself in the upcoming couple of weeks regardless.  I'm also going to take a look at the display mounting points to see if there's anything useful there.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I use my phone for GPS and music. Since the only app I found that supports QPX files is on android, I bought this for an S4

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MT362GM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

And this for my iPhone

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQ82A5E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

The iPhone one is better since it secures the cable and waterproofs the whole assembly.

I mounted one on the left handle bar, the other at the center.

Have you had a chance to ride with the GPS in that position yet? How are the vibrations through the mount to the GPS? I only ask because I killed a Garmin Zumo by mounting it on a reservoir cover on my FJR. I could feel the high speed vibes through it on the road. I should have known better. I moved the mount base to my Mottorad Riser when I got my replacement. There are noticeably fewer and less intense vibrations in that location. If the vibes are not bad in that location I think you solved my question as to where I am going to mount my GPS on the FJ.    :D
@jimf: I think it will be fine since the screen is only mounted with those 4 goofy screws surrounded in rubber...but the rest is pretty solid.
Will do some extensive riding the next 2 days and report back here...

Regarding vibrations to the GPS I'm not too worried since those are filtered out by the RAM Balls on both mount and GPS holder.

Put a GPR V4 steering damper on (bolts with kit for bar risers are too long - use ULEWZ, RedFJNiner or Scuff's posts for reference on how to swap studs end for end) and updated the GPS... Set damper to "9" for test run.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

@root Looks like the paint came out good, digging the back rest for your passenger. 
Thank you.  I had to get the top box and back rest from Canada.  I went to yamahagenuineparts.com .  The top box and the back rest are both Yamaha parts, I just couldn't find them from a dealer in the US.  The top case mounts directly to the yamaha rear rack.  All 3 bags have been keyed to the ignition as well.  All the bags quick release from the bike. I'm pretty happy with the setup.

• Premium Member
I have the stock OEM bags w/quick release but I feel they are lacking in volume.  May look into something like you have.  Mounting H/W is already in place, the hard part is already done!

thought you might enjoy this

30 16 * * * /usr/bin/cfadmin/timetogoride

Guest highplainsrider
IMG_0504.jpg

I cut a vinyl Yamaha logo at work with my new vinyl cutter - I teach technology at a school. I like that the FJ-09 doesn't come with a lot of branding on it but the tank needed a little something extra. Matt black on gray was just what I was looking for.

nice work highplains...but...I need to inform you that you just installed the Yamaha Musical Instruments logo on your FJ. The Yamaha Motors logo has the points of the tuning fork crossing the boundary of the circle. The Musical Instruments logo is the one you chose, the tuning fork completely contained inside the circle. Also, the letter M in the word YAMAHA has the center point stopping short of the two legs. The Motor logo font uses a symmetrical font and the center point touches down even with the legs.

;)  (rofl)