Well I Did It.

bobbycnote

After watching endless videos and reading endless reviews, I determined that I wanted to make the FJ 09 my next bike.  So, that's exactly what I did.  I traded in my 2004 Harley Road King and I am ready to cross over into a sportier ride.  I' m picking it up on Friday couldn't be happier.  I have been trolling on this site for a week or two, trying to get owners perspectives, so thanks for the knowledge everyone.  I'm a bit nervous to ride the thing home due to the torque and power that I heard so much about, so it will be traction control and b mode for a bit.  Friday can't come soon enough.  I'm Bobby from NJ.

Awesome. Quite a change from a road king. Don't be worried about speed. It's dang fast but manageable. I like to recommend starting in B mode, just enough to get used to the riding position. Don't be afraid to try out the other modes on the first ride once you get comfortable. I came from a 1970 CB450 that sometimes, depending on its mood and if it was going up hill or into the wind, didn't even want to reach 60 mph. I was in A mode by the end of my first ride, with TCS disabled without my knowledge due to a improperly installed sensor. If I could handle A mode on the first ride, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just remember, every input you are used to putting into the road King, from throttle to steering, will respond much quicker on the FJ. It makes it handle really, really well but is surprising sometimes to a Harley guy that's not expecting it. Enjoy it and let us know how it does on the ride home!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  Jeffritz, I decided to go with the grey version.  
Congrats on the switch.  You'll love it.  The one thing I found about switching away from a cruiser is that I keep falling into the cruiser habit of keeping the revs low, since v-twins are torquier at low rpm.  Let that engine sing!
//QED

Oh Yeah!!! Picked up my new friend.  I was super nervous before I rode out of the dealership.  So I put it in B mode and rode around the lot for a few minutes to get used to the clutch.  It was silky smooth so I immediately felt comfortable and hit the road.  After about one mile, I said to myself..need more than B mode, switched to standard, then maybe 20 minutes later,  finished the rest of my 50 mile ride in A mode.  No worries at all. As long as traction is on, A mode is very friendly. Smooth shifting and nice acceleration.  I got on the throttle a few times, but really tried to keep it under the rpm limit for break in purposes.  

Things I noticed right away, Sitting position was real nice and high, however, there was a Lillie too much pressure on my hands, think I may have to bring the bars a bit closer to me.  Also, the mirrors aren't the best, couldn't really see behind me too well without moving my arms of of the way.  So extenders will be my first mod.  It was bittersweet saying goodbye to my Harley, but I am super excited with my decision.  

Already after one ride I feel very confident on this sweet machine.  Was considering Versys, but glad I went with the FJ.  I think the 650 would not have been enough power for me, and the 1000, just seemed a little cumbersome to me.  I would still be riding now, but it looked like rain.  Can't wait to hop on it again later.

• Premium Member
Rain? You do know that motorcycles work when it rains? I know this might be difficult to comprehend coming from a HD :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Rain? You do know that motorcycles work when it rains? I know this might be difficult to comprehend coming from a HD :)
roflmao.gif

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Only rode my FJ in the rain once.... and not by choice! It did fine though... 
Ty

Ya, that was fun watching the thunder and lighting and all. Let's not do that again. I melt in the rain.blbl_zpsvi6inrfd.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Totally threadjacking, but... we got caught at the overlook on the Dragon a few years ago in a massive thunderstorm; Imagine lightning hitting around you, 'danger-close', raining sideways and yes HAIL... water running across US-129 in rivers. That was the hairiest 8 mile ride of my entire life. When we got back to the TotD/CRoT we were beyond soaked. I pulled my A-Star boots off and dumped a half gallon of water out of each one!
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived