Factory Heated Grips - Heat Imbalance

mhevezi

I'm not convinced the Yamaha grips themselves are any better than Oxford or any other brand for that matter.
They are well made, but so are the Oxfords, which are a third of the price even though they include the control unit.
Yeah, sorry. That was my intended point. Thank you for clarifying. The build quality of the Yamaha grips are nice. I'm just not convinced they are 3 times as nice as the Oxfords or any other for that matter.  That still didn't deter me from buying them though.  lol.  Longevity will be the deciding factor. A guy I work with gave up on replacing his aftermarket grips on his ST1300. Not sure the brand of grips, but if I can avoid that situation and they are integrated into the existing controls, I will be happy with the purchase.  Having installed them myself and seeing that all the electrical contact areas are pretty well protected, I am fairly comfortable they will last.  I ended up getting the 5 year Yamaha extended warranty (YES) on the bike, and the way I understand it, that also covers genuine Yamaha accessories on the bike as well. If that holds true, then I should be covered on those grips for 5 years.

They should have made those bar ends out of steel, not aluminum; the bars could use a little more weight on the ends to cut down on vibration. Not that it's horrible, but it could be better.
I agree. The vibrations aren't really that bad, but something as simple as using heavy steel on this part would have made it better. Especially given how small the end pieces are to begin with. They are about 1/3 of the size of some dedicated bar end weights I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, the value discussion on the stock grips versus OEM is worthy- but maybe on a different thread.

I appreciate the discussion over how we use the bars and that can account for the "impression" that the right grip is warmer than the left. I'm not the brightest bulb in the string by any measure, but without getting a thermometer and measuring the temp output, the right grip DOES get warmer than the left. Again, it's likely due to the insulating effect of the throttle tube.

Many of us have the stock, heated grips installed and glued in place. Just looking for anyone who has done anything (not including removing the grips) to help balance the heat better. I did see that someone filled the left side of the bar with "Great Stuff" The additional weight is almost nothing, but did it help?

Ideas? Suggestions?

• Premium Member
I installed grip puppies at the same time as the grip heaters. I did not install anything else that is not specified in the installation instructions. I haven't noticed any heating difference between the two grips. Maybe my heaters are balanced, or maybe the grip puppies slow down the heat transfer. Also, I always wear gloves.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

There was discussion on an FB Tracer Owners group that suggested the black and grey color coded connectors on the grips (or bike) are reversed. Someone suggested they already had different resistance and that reversing them would balance out this issue. May try this myself tomorrow and report if it corrects the imbalance, as mine does have this concern.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Just got back from a quick half hour blast to check if my grip heaters are more even now that I've switched the connections. I think that did the trick. Much more balanced heat now.
Was hooning around a bit and managed a few 2nd gear wheelies. Woohoo!
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Guest reeseyboy
There was discussion on an FB Tracer Owners group that suggested the black and grey color coded connectors on the grips (or bike) are reversed. Someone suggested they already had different resistance and that reversing them would balance out this issue. May try this myself tomorrow and report if it corrects the imbalance, as mine does have this concern.
T'was I that suggested this after having a chat with my dealer. I'm glad it's sorted for you. 

• Premium Member
Just got back from a quick half hour blast to check if my grip heaters are more even now that I've switched the connections. I think that did the trick. Much more balanced heat now. Was hooning around a bit and managed a few 2nd gear wheelies. Woohoo!
I would appreciate if you'd provide a little more detail please? Where did you swap the connections, and were they installed incorrectly, or colour coded incorrectly, i.e. was black connected to grey and vice versa or were they colour coded but mixed up at source, so you had to connect grey to black? Am I just adding confusion?I'm sure you'll get what I mean. I had mine installed by the dealer so I have no idea where the connecters are or how many there are.

• Premium Member
Just got back from a quick half hour blast to check if my grip heaters are more even now that I've switched the connections. I think that did the trick. Much more balanced heat now. Was hooning around a bit and managed a few 2nd gear wheelies. Woohoo!
I would appreciate if you'd provide a little more detail please? Where did you swap the connections, and were they installed incorrectly, or colour coded incorrectly, i.e. was black connected to grey and vice versa or were they colour coded but mixed up at source, so you had to connect grey to black? Am I just adding confusion?I'm sure you'll get what I mean. I had mine installed by the dealer so I have no idea where the connecters are or how many there are.
Yes, they switched black to grey and grey to black. The location can easily be found in the How To section for Grip Heater Installation. linky 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Yes, they switched black to grey and grey to black. The location can easily be found in the How To section for Grip Heater Installation. linky
I may have to try that... especially when it gets colder. Easy enough to do. So far I haven't noticed a problem. Lowest i've used them is high 50's. :P 
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

2 1/2hrs more riding and I am much happier with the balance of heat in the grips. It was warmer, and only had them on low for most of the ride.
Initially they were plugged in black-black and grey-grey. I have swapped them opposite now. I have to guess that spme batches of the kits had the connector cavities installed wrong? Not sure but I feel the difference so I'm satisfied.
2015 Matte Grey

• Premium Member
I'm interested to learn how reversing the polarity on a simple DC ohms law circuit can create a different result.

The wiring diagram specifies a specific feed for left (black) & right (grey) grips. I am guessing but this would suggest the grips are fed different voltages by the ECU. In the settings for the grips in the GUI, you can specify 10 different heat settings. This also suggests that the voltage supplied by the ECU to the grips is controlled by a sophisticated system involving software control of analogue circuitry.

I have not seen the kit as my dealer fitted my grips but I believe the wiring is colour coded and you would expect the instructions to say plug black to black as well as identify which grip goes on which side. Now, if someone who made the bike harness or grip kit got the colours mixed up, there could be a batch of wires out there with the grey plugs in the black position and vice versa.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Yesterday was my first real ride with the heated grips. Count me in as someone with drastic left/right heat difference. The left felt barely warm but the right was frying, and that was on heat setting 2. I'm going to pop the side and swap connectors later today to see what happens.

If the connectors are indeed reversed it would make Edward Murphy proud (or perhaps just smug).

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Oh yea, and my thumbs froze painfully. I kind of wonder if it would be better to let my hands go completely numb than to heat up the fingers and palms and let the blood continue to flow into the thumbs.

I have heated gloves, too. Next time it's down in the 40s (F), I know what I'm picking. If I can get the heat more even then the grips will be pretty nice for cool-but-not-cold.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived