Wobble and Speed

Regarding the ECU discussion and people having problems with front end "wobble." This is just my 2 cents about my own experience. I have the OEM Yamaha side cases which are on the bike all the time. I do not have a top case. Everything on the machine is stock and nothing has been removed (including the foot peg feelers which I believe serve a very useful purpose) and nothing has been added. I have made no adjustments to the suspension.  When I say my machine is stock I mean stock.   I am frequently travelling at speeds in excess of 70 mph and many times above 80 mph. There have been times when I have exceeded 100 mph, usually when passing 2 or more vehicles. Once when following a friend on a BMW K1600GTL during one of these passes he said he glanced at his speedo and saw 120 mph. I wasn't looking at mine. In none of these instances have I ever experienced a wobble or any instability whatsoever. I am 6'1" and weigh 195 lbs.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have also not felt any wobbles, and in all honesty, I have tried to provoke them.
I have always checked bikes for stability , as I do not appreciate rude surprises.
With all the talk of this bike's stability issues, I almost ended up not choosing it - a long test ride cured that.
Even at tripple digits, I was not able to get her to do anything odd.
I'm also 6'2", but 205lbs - which may have something to do with it.
Either way, this bike has been a hoot! Glad for my choice, and hope that most others have equally good experiences.

Not sure where I posted it but I did post someplace of a near critical head shake, front and back end wobble at the same time. I, like all of you had posted many times of no problem with or without my FJR 1300 side cases on the bike. I had taken it all the way to the speed limiter (115) with what I thought were loaded bags and had no problem many times.

But, while on a 14 day ride, day 1, I experienced a problem coming out of a corner at 75 going into a straight when reaching 104 the front end and the rear end were going in opposite directions at an alarming rate and it didn't go away until 85. I do have a GPR4 steering stabalizer on the bike and feel if I hadn't I may have crashed at over 100. My bags were loaded and heavy, with just a tail bag and a tank bag as the only other luggage. Now that was after riding the FJ for 20,000 miles with no problems. Makes you think a little after this happens. Was it the input from my hands and shifting into 4th, irregular road surface, those Dunlop Roadsmart 2's or the combo of the three? I don't know and can't reproduce to find out, nor do I want to. After a day or so, I was riding normal and did go over 104 a few times but always backed off for safety sake. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Not sure where I posted it but I did post someplace of a near critical head shake, front and back end wobble at the same time. I, like all of you had posted many times of no problem with or without my FJR 1300 side cases on the bike. I had taken it all the way to the speed limiter (115) with what I thought were loaded bags and had no problem many times.  
But, while on a 14 day ride, day 1, I experienced a problem coming out of a corner at 75 going into a straight when reaching 104 the front end and the rear end were going in opposite directions at an alarming rate and it didn't go away until 85. I do have a GPR4 steering stabalizer on the bike and feel if I hadn't I may have crashed at over 100. My bags were loaded and heavy, with just a tail bag and a tank bag as the only other luggage. Now that was after riding the FJ for 20,000 miles with no problems. Makes you think a little after this happens. Was it the input from my hands and shifting into 4th, irregular road surface, those Dunlop Roadsmart 2's or the combo of the three? I don't know and can't reproduce to find out, nor do I want to. After a day or so, I was riding normal and did go over 104 a few times but always backed off for safety sake. 
I've felt some shaking of the handlebars. It was a passing situation. I was very hard on the throttle at a, lets just say, rapid pace. I let off the throttle right away and was really easy on the bars. It settled out really quick. I'm sure as much as this bike likes to lift the front wheel, given I was hard on the throttle as well, my particular case was caused by not enough weight on the front wheel. I may have been carrying a tail bag on the back seat. I don't remember as its been a while. I think the issue was more wheel lift from torque than from weight on the back. I drive much more conservative when I'm loaded up. I am personally fine with the speed limiter as I can't think of a situation I would ever be in that I need to be over 115. If I ever do a track day, I'll probably get it removed as I'd be setting the bike up specifically for the situation. I'd consider putting the limiter back after the track day though.

Did you check the tire pressures?
How heavy were the bags? Did you weigh them at the beginning of your trip?

In the first month on ownership I did get a shake right after shifting up during a pass. Pretty sure I induced it with my clutch had, wobble went away immediately when I made my hands 'soft.' I think the speed was about 95 mph (passing a cager that sped up on straights, parked it in corners.) I try to remember to now do clutchless upshifts during fast passing.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I felt the front end wobble on my bike twice and both times I was going around 75-80 mph and wearing my leather jacket. I have cortech bags on my bike but they are never really full of heavy stuff. Not sure what exactly caused it but I bought a GPR4 and haven't had a problem since.

I too havn't felt the wobble at speed but I have felt it going 75 and got a gust of wind hitting the bike. That GPR4 is pretty pricey like $850.
More like $500.  I bought it for the FZ-09 which helped a lot but doing the ECU flash helped so much that the GPR4 wasn't needed.  Since it wasn't needed and I wouldn't be able to add $500 to the sale price, I just removed it and made some adjustments and installed it on the FJ.

Not sure where I posted it but I did post someplace of a near critical head shake, front and back end wobble at the same time. I, like all of you had posted many times of no problem with or without my FJR 1300 side cases on the bike. I had taken it all the way to the speed limiter (115) with what I thought were loaded bags and had no problem many times..........................   

Did you check the tire pressures? 40/42 
How heavy were the bags? Based on lifting them, I guessed at 30 + pounds.
Did you weigh them at the beginning of your trip? Never weighed them, but will do that right now. 25 pounds and both were very equal.

I too havn't felt the wobble at speed but I have felt it going 75 and got a gust of wind hitting the bike. That GPR4 is pretty pricey like $850.
More like $500.  I bought it for the FZ-09 which helped a lot but doing the ECU flash helped so much that the GPR4 wasn't needed.  Since it wasn't needed and I wouldn't be able to add $500 to the sale price, I just removed it and made some adjustments and installed it on the FJ.
It must have been another brand,cause I seen one that looked like yours for $850.. I stand corrected sir

• Premium Member

Yamaha recommends 36/42.

What would be the reason to run 40/42? Esp. when running with extra weight on the back of the bike? Wouldn't that decrease the area of the front contact patch?

Forgive me if these are noob questions--I do not know much about motorcycle tire pressures. (I know a bit about bicycle and car tire pressures though.)

Yamaha recommends 36/42. 
What would be the reason to run 40/42? Esp. when running with extra weight on the back of the bike? Wouldn't that decrease the area of the front contact patch?

Forgive me if these are noob questions--I do not know much about motorcycle tire pressures. (I know a bit about bicycle and car tire pressures though.)
Yes, you are entirely right about more weight on rear and possibly decreasing the contact patch on the front.  Maybe that was the problem, I don't know.  I had just put on a new tire on and out of habit, FJR, I put 40 PSI in the front.  It would be nice to be able to recreate the experience after altering things, like tire pressure, shock settings, etc. to see if one or the other caused the wobble, but that is impossible as it may have been a combination of conditions and changing any one may solve the problem.  Either less air or more damping, or less hand input at time of shifting may work.  I think I learned my lesson,  and from now on, I will just take it easy (keep it less than 104) when bags are loaded.  Easy solution.

I get headshake if I let go of the bars on decel. And I can feel it if I just release one hand as well. Typically does it below 40mph, and I do not have any luggage plus I removed the stock hand guards. Otherwise all stock including tires and pressure.

Some might say "don't let go of the bars." I guess so, but none of my other bikes have done this.

Anyone else?

Archived