Wobble and Speed

I get headshake if I let go of the bars on decel. And I can feel it if I just release one hand as well. Typically does it below 40mph, and I do not have any luggage plus I removed the stock hand guards. Otherwise all stock including tires and pressure. 
Some might say "don't let go of the bars." I guess so, but none of my other bikes have done this.

Anyone else?

Usually what you describe is caused by loose steering head bearings. They need to be checked and tightened.

How many miles on your bike?

-Skip

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure where I posted it but I did post someplace of a near critical head shake, front and back end wobble at the same time. I, like all of you had posted many times of no problem with or without my FJR 1300 side cases on the bike. I had taken it all the way to the speed limiter (115) with what I thought were loaded bags and had no problem many times.  

I also posted in another thread about a similar experience.  I've been to the limiter twice, both on straight, level roads with little or no wind, and no other traffic.  Both times were with lightly loaded factory side cases, and a small topcase (28L Coocase).  Bike is otherwise stock, tires at 36/42.  I did set the static sag for my weight, 195lbs +gear. 
The first was a top gear roll on from ~60mph to compare with a Versys 1K (the FJ9 pulled 2-3 bike lengths by the limiter... 8-) ).  Dead stable.

The second was hard acceleration through the gears, and when I shifted to 4th at a bit over 100, it went into a heavy head shake.  It was very unpleasant, and could easily have caused an inexperienced rider to crash.  I have plenty of experience with tank slappers from years of track riding, and even so was worried for a few seconds, as it took a while for it to smooth out.

My theory is that the shift was enough to slightly upset the bike and induce the instability, as opposed to the roll on, which required no input other than rolling the throttle fully open at a speed well below the critical point.

At highway speeds up to ~85mph, I've experienced no instability, even with side winds, semis, or other traffic.

I get headshake if I let go of the bars on decel. And I can feel it if I just release one hand as well. Typically does it below 40mph, and I do not have any luggage plus I removed the stock hand guards. Otherwise all stock including tires and pressure. 
Some might say "don't let go of the bars." I guess so, but none of my other bikes have done this.

Anyone else?
Doesn't sound right at all! I often use engine braking and have never experienced this anomaly. I also often ride one handed or with just my palms on the bars to be able to cover the levers, without any ill effects.  
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

Had the same thing happen to me in 4th gear. I think I shit myself that day. Now I have no more headshake after I installed the GPR. I do feel the front getting light but nothing shakes. Also you tire pressure seems high to me. Even with my bike running at max weight I run 36/40 but with just me and bags I am running 34/36.

Anyone else?
Doesn't sound right at all! I often use engine braking and have never experienced this anomaly. I also often ride one handed or with just my palms on the bars to be able to cover the levers, without any ill effects.

I have the same symptom as @drewh108. Usually in the 40-50mph range the bars will start squirming if I let go of the bars. I'm wondering how much this is related to the stock front tire. Can't wait to get that replaced.
If my bike behaved this way, I would take it back to the dealer. Grasping at straws here, but maybe your front wheel is out of balance. 

The front wheel is probably fine unless the bike has been ridden into solid objects (curbs) or if you accidentally hit some large potholes.

A badly worn and/or underinflated front tire can also cause the same thing. But head shake on deceleration from 50-40 or more commonly 40-30 mph is almost always loose steering head bearings.

-Skip

Just to be clear - the OP was referring to high speed instability.

That last several posts from toonbobo and drewh108 bring up another front end handling concern that can happen on ALL street bikes regardless of type or brand.

... Because we are now talking about 2 different handling concerns. Just wanted to put that out there.

-S

The 50-30 hands off wobble is something I've heard discussed, ad nauseum, on several bike forums, all the way back to the 90s. My gen 3 VFR, ST1100, ST4S and VStrom would all do it. On a higher mileage bike, bad steering stem bearings will make it worse, but almost any bike will do it if you suddenly sit up, and let go of the bars.

Anyone else?
Yes I have the exact same issue, let go of the bars and they shake like crazy! Was thinking of taking the front end apart check the steering head bearings, reassemble the front end making sure everything is straight and try it again. Would take it to the dealer but don't trust them to do this correctly.

Anyone else?
Yes I have the exact same issue, let go of the bars and they shake like crazy! Was thinking of taking the front end apart check the steering head bearings, reassemble the front end making sure everything is straight and try it again. Would take it to the dealer but don't trust them to do this correctly.
Sounds like a fatal flaw in the FJ-09 design! Inform the NHTSA and maybe we all get a refund. 

Sounds like a fatal flaw in the FJ-09 design! Inform the NHTSA and maybe we all get a refund.
Hopefully I read your post correctly @ogri , humour and sarcasm don't always traverse continents. 
I had my bike in for a 12k mile service today and took the opportunity to go  over some of the issues often raised by owners. The wobble is a biggie, one that I haven't really admitted to.
The workshop manager seemed to have a plausible explanation to my seemingly it did it and now doesn't wobble as much. When I got my bike, within 5 days I was on a long distance trip, just about any SUV sized vehicle in front of me caused an issue.
In time, I thought it was me who had 'learnt'   how to ride the bike - maybe not. New bearings might want to try and 'correct' a situation by being reluctant to move.

Yeah, when it was less than a week old, I had tremendous stability issues, would  wobble at the slightest opportunity on the motorway/freeway/etc.

I was one of the earlier proponents whom linked rider weight with the problem - speaking now of high speed instability, not 40 mph.

In Europe there has been a 'lot of noise' made of the stability at speed particularly riders in Italy and Greece, possibly in part to local fora whipping up sentiment and calling for the manufacturer to remedy the 'problem'.

Upright riding can cause this, it ain't Yamaha or the FJ/Tacer specific, name a model and we'll see issues - maybe the most expensive models may have a solution.
In an attempt to arrest this, I posted a video of my instability, not one I feel warrants any comment - Side cases (Euro) and a top box, I'm not the most 'athletic' in proportions but tried and have to admit succeeded in inducing a wobble.

[video src=https://youtu.be/2r5IdQGTtII]  

Yes, my comment was a little tongue-in-cheek. I guess that I have been very fortunate and haven't experienced any instability issues. I rode my bike home for about 1.5 hours down the freeway at over 80 mph when brand new and it felt very stable. Even trying to get the ass end to swing out by shifting weight on the pegs was a chore, not like my SV650. I now have Yamaha factory hard bags installed and again it feels fine, even at over 100 mph. I have noticed that the suspension has changed over time, particularly on the front. It was very abrupt over rough surfaces when new, but has now become more tame, even though I have increased both the preload and rebound damping. I've ridden a lot of awful bikes, with plastic tires, no suspension and built-in tank slapping at speed. My old ZRX1200 would try to buck you off at close to 120 mph without a steering damper. This bike seems very controlled. I don't ride like I'm at the track, but I'm no slouch.

A couple of other thoughts to add are that I did notice the tire pressure drop dramatically (at least 10 psi)in the first week of ownership. When under inflated the D222 tires seem to drift into ruts in the road. I also think that the instabilities observed could also be related to precession caused by poorly balanced or misaligned wheels. Finally, all of the modifications that are being performed, from huge screen to massive panniers and top boxes won't help this problem. I don't even want to touch highway pegs.

PS. I watched your video and can see the problem quite clearly. Thank you!

• Premium Member
I have noticed that the suspension has changed over time, particularly on the front. It was very abrupt over rough surfaces when new, but has now become more tame, even though I have increased both the preload and rebound damping.
Huh. I was thinking the same thing just yesterday while I was plowing down a bunch of dirt roads, although I assumed that it was either because the bike is heavier now with luggage and emergency tools and more farkles, or perhaps just that I got used to it.  Some softening over time is to be expected as the oil molecules get sheered, losing viscosity, but with previous bikes I noticed it more on the order of two or three years.

Then again, while I still think of the FJ as brand new, it's got almost a whole season of riding on it already.

A couple of other thoughts to add are that I did notice the tire pressure drop dramatically (at least 10 psi)in the first week of ownership.
That's not normal. I'll see a few psi drop over weeks, most noticeable on the front, about the same as any other bike.  I would suspect a slow leak somewhere.  I'd go at it with some soapy water to see if I could find it, maybe the tire bead is not perfectly sealed/seated.

Speaking of tire pressures, the thing that really pisses me off is that the straight valves make it annoyingly hard to check and adjust pressure. I seriously miss the 90 degree valves I had on my Daytona.  I just bought a new set of 90 degree valves in preparation for the rear tire change that I will be doing sometime in the next month.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

A couple of other thoughts to add are that I did notice the tire pressure drop dramatically (at least 10 psi)in the first week of ownership.
That's not normal. I'll see a few psi drop over weeks, most noticeable on the front, about the same as any other bike.  I would suspect a slow leak somewhere.  I'd go at it with some soapy water to see if I could find it, maybe the tire bead is not perfectly sealed/seated. 
I got a little paranoid and checked them every ride, but they seem to be holding fine now. No idea what happened unless they just weren't seated well when new or the valves were leaking. I got out of the driveway and onto the road and thought oh shit, this doesn't fell right. 

Archived