Heated Grip Issue

boris

Have had my bike only a couple of days.

Dealer installed Yamaha heated grips on the bike.  But it is not connected to ignition controlled circuit.  So when I turn the bike off I have to manually turn of the heated grips.  So if I forget, too bad, battery will drain. If I remember and turn off the grips, what is to stop somebody else from switching them on when the bike is parked?

The dealer tells me this is they way they come. Sounds suspicious since all my previous motorcycles with heated grips went on/off depending on the ignition switch.

Are they blowing smoke up my ass? Did they connected it to the wrong circuit?

TIA

Boris

• Premium Member
Have had my bike only a couple of days. 
Dealer installed Yamaha heated grips on the bike.  But it is not connected to ignition controlled circuit.  So when I turn the bike off I have to manually turn of the heated grips.  So if I forget, too bad, battery will drain. If I remember and turn off the grips, what is to stop somebody else from switching them on when the bike is parked?

The dealer tells me this is they way they come. Sounds suspicious since all my previous motorcycles with heated grips went on/off depending on the ignition switch.

Are they blowing smoke up my ass? Did they connected it to the wrong circuit?

TIA

Boris

It doesn't sound like you got "Yamaha" heated grips. They are controlled using the OEM switch gear on the left by toggling into grip temp control mode, then setting the temp to 1, 2 or 3. These selections are displayed on the right side LCD panel. They can ONLY be powered AND controlled when the ignition is ON. Granted, if the heated grips are on 1,2 or 3 when you turn off the bike, they will resume functioning at that selected temperature when you turn it back on! But, when the ignition is off there is no power to them.  
2015YamahaFJ-09console.jpgghjpkivuodpoczf-2j-z6c4uqeas7q03r4nn6qirtii1.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Be aware that the dealer was probably not able to acquire Yamaha grips immediately; they've been backordered for months. When I ordered mine on April 1 I was quoted a backorder date in late April but they actually showed up in mid-September. The last time I got a backorder date on them, just a few days before they finally showed up, Yamaha was quoting December 17th. It wouldn't surprise me at all if current quoted backorder dates are already out to next spring, and likely closer to summer for actual delivery unless Yamaha's production has improved markedly in the last few months.

So, it might well be that the dealer couldn't fulfill the order using Yamaha's grips and chose to swap in something else they already had in stock or could get right away. They should have told you and given you the option though, and if I were going to do a substitution I would rather put on Oxfords (about $90 online) than BikeMaster because reviews say the BikeMaster grips wear faster (although both do the job). The Oxfords are, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck -- good quality and far less expensive than OEM -- but a grip on the bar is a lot better than one on backorder no matter which it is.

The next thing to consider is how much did they charge you? BikeMaster grips are about $50 online, presumably somewhat more with dealer markup, but really ought not to retail for more than $100 no matter what. Yamaha's grips are priced in a completely different league, $284, maybe a bit less if the dealer gives you a discount when ordering with a new bike (I got 10% off). It's hard to guess exactly what the dealer markup might be for BikeMaster, and labor rates vary a lot region to region too, but off the cuff I'd expect the installed price to run $100-200 for BikeMaster versus $320-380 for Yamaha. If your price was in the Yamaha range then that's outright fraud. If it was a lot cheaper then you got what you paid for, even if that's not what you thought you were buying.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Bought my bike in October grips are back ordered until sometime in December. Hopefully Yamaha will have solved the disparity in temp between the left and right grip by then. They had the same issue with the S Tenere and resolved it

Bought my bike in October grips are back ordered until sometime in December. Hopefully Yamaha will have solved the disparity in temp between the left and right grip by then. They had the same issue with the S Tenere and resolved it
Ya know, maybe my hands aren't as sensitive, but i'm not noticing a big difference in temperatures if at all. Of course i've only ridden  down to 50 degrees F so far. I was wondering if it has to do with how hard you hold on to the grip, fingers covering brake, how often you use the clutch, etc..

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Ya know, maybe my hands aren't as sensitive, but i'm not noticing a big difference in temperatures if at all. Of course i've only ridden  down to 50 degrees F so far. I was wondering if it has to do with how hard you hold on to the grip, fingers covering brake, how often you use the clutch, etc.. 
Ty

Agreed Ty! The difference in heat might be felt by someone with very thin gloves, but it's just not an issue.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member

Well, 50F is more like cool than cold, and indeed in the low to mid 50s I don't notice a lot of difference through my three-season gloves (Held Steves, I believe, but don't hold me to that).

The colder it gets, though, the more obvious the difference is. I assume the bar becomes a much more efficient heat sink as the ambient drops.

By the low 40s, using the Held gloves, the difference is really stark with the grip heaters set on step 4 -- the left is fine, the right hot enough to be down right uncomfortable. I would not normally use the Helds in temperatures below 45F, but I screwed up on one commute a couple of weeks ago when the temperature dropped rapidly after dark.  (As Arlo Guthrie says, "I noticed right away.")

I tend to switch to Gerbings heated gloves if it gets much below 50F. Over the last week with commuting temperatures mostly in the 40s I've been wearing those gloves without wiring them up and running the heated grips instead. That definitely makes the difference less stark, but even so in the high 30s to mid 40s the right side will be nicely toasty and the left only lukewarm.  It's just not accurate to say that it's too minor to notice.

Below 40F I light up the heated gloves and don't need the grips, but now that I have the grips I may augment the gloves if it gets down below 30F. We'll see. I no longer ride in temperatures below 20F if I can help it, bike batteries become too reliable.

As for grip strength, on that trip home in the low 40s with the Held gloves I was indeed clamping down on the grips pretty good to try to get heat into my hands. The thing I didn't expect was that I wouldn't be able to get much heat into my thumbs, no matter what I did with my grip, and the particularly annoying thing about that is the grips keep my hands from going completely numb so the thumbs stay in that constant just-thawed state that is pretty painful. I'm not quite sure whether I prefer that to numb or not.  I was cycling between step 2 and step 4 to try to keep the right side warm without burning and the left side warm enough to be useful.

I guess this is the long way of saying that the difference is pretty easy to notice in colder temperatures and that it's quite a bit less of a bother if you're wearing insulated gloves. I'm going to take another shot at adding an insulating layer between the left bar and grip sometime soon, probably over the Thanksgiving holiday.  If that works reasonably well I'll be happy.  Even with the grips as they are they're awfully useful.  I've never had heated grips before, I always just used to freeze if I forgot to bring the heated gloves. :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

And that is ed Zachary what the dealer said: FJ09 grips are backorder ed till January. He also admitted that he should have brought it to  my attention. 
Tomorrow we are going to meet so he can make me happy. He is sure to offer me some kind of store credit. 
I am not sure what my loss has been.  When negotiating the price,  I said "I will give you your asking price ($9,399) if you throw in the heated grips."  They did me heated grips instead of Yamaha's. 
So any suggestions as to what I should settle for? 

BTW I am quite happy with the generic grips: They work very well and are much easier to adjust than going through the menu.   Except the mouth breathers who installed it did not power it through an ignition controlled circuit so I have to remember to turn it off manually after each ride. 

It's all about what would make you happy. I personally don't like having extra things on my handle bars that don't have to be there. So I would only be happy with the OEM grips. For me, I would be telling them to take the BikeMasters back and give me the OEM. 

Sounds like you like the BikeMaster grips better anyway though especially if they would turn off with the bike.  I would say in either situation, if they make it work the way you want, any store credit is bonus.

I paid 48 for my bikemaster grips but you need to add install costs. For the record, I can control my temps and it is hooked to the forward accessory leads under the screen.Very happy with the grips, and it is switched :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Interesting. What change was made to the grips to solve the temp difference?

-Skip

Archived