Traded my FJ-09 in for a 2015 Super Tenere

freebooter

"Since I bought my fj for 9K and have put about 2k in aftermarket/planned farkles if I added a CC I would be at 12k total investment. S10 starts at 15K.
I thought long about getting an S10 before I went FJ. I knew I wanted the toys, but the whole bike should be a toy in my mind."

So if the FJ-09 was $15K and the S10 was $12K would you like the S10 more? My point is if you don't love riding a bike what difference does price make? Would you ride a bike you didn't enjoy just because you could buy it for cheap? The FJ-09 is a great value but get over it, first and foremost its a good bike otherwise the value wouldn't mean squat.  This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but it seems price gets mentioned way too often.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, the bike you want is what counts, but price is a consideration if course. But I wanted the S10 n t cost me. I bought my FJ-09 in May, and traded the 9 in on the S10 om Dec 11th. I was top heavy, still owing $12,000.00 on the 9. So long story short I rode off on the S10 I wanted with a final bill of $22,000.00.

That was what I get for being top heavy and addin in the cost of a set of 3 Givi luggage, tire protection, GAP, and 4 year extended maintenance and warrenty. . Paying out the ass but, I got what I wanted.

And someone mentioned the S10 had a mediocre engine, lack of power, etc. I disagree. In "Touring" mode it is a bit mello, but put it in "Sport" mode and it will jump out from under you! Lol!
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

The S10 has a great engine. It can both pull stumps and cruise all day at 80. What I have found out about the S10 is not to be afraid to run it hard. I ride with some fast company and while I will always lose the drag race the S10 can keep up with anyone in the corners and short straights.

• Premium Member
The S10 has a great engine. It can both pull stumps and cruise all day at 80. What I have found out about the S10 is not to be afraid to run it hard. I ride with some fast company and while I will always lose the drag race the S10 can keep up with anyone in the corners and short straights.
Donk, have you ridden a BMW r12000rt?  If so, how does the r1200rt compare to the S10?

Donk, have you ridden a BMW r12000rt?  If so, how does the r1200rt compare to the S10?
I have not ridden the RT but have put about 1000 mile on a friends '14 R1200GS and I own a '16 R1200RS.  The R1200 motor is a beauty.  It pulls as good but revs higher and faster than the S10.  The GS and S10 are very similar but the GS is definitely faster, I would say good acceleration vs adequate acceleration.  I would imagine the GS and RT are much the same, they both have the telelever front end, great feel and roadholding.  The RS is somewhere in the middle of the GS and RT.  Not sure where you're at but go to the local BMW dealer and take an RT for a test drive.  Most BMW dealers are very cool about test rides.  I do know the RT is light for a full faired touring bike and has a low CG.  Must be some reason it gets picked as top touring bike year after year!  I love my S10 and wouldn't trade it for a GS but if I had to start over I may have gone for the GS.     

Had my S10 for 3 & 1/2 years when i chopped it in for the Tracer 10 months ago.... I still dont regret the change.
The S10 was a great bike with better build quality than the Tracer, but i just couldn't live with the weight of it anymore..... i also prefer the acceleration of the Tracer, its narrower profile, a 17" front and its alloy wheels.

• Premium Member
Yes, the S10 engine likes to be revved. It's forebear the TDM was the same. Something to do with the 270 deg crank designed to mimic a V twin. 

I rarely found the S10 wanting in mixed company. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

As I said I do miss my o9. It was just t right weight, balance, manouverability, etc. if it had a drive shaft I'd kept it forever.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

• 3 months later...
I traded my 2015 FJ-09 I bought in May in December in on for a 2015 Super Tenere mainly for seat comfort and a driveshaft. just got sick of frigging with a chain all my life, and worrying about a chain ever where I went. But if the FJ-09 just had a chain I would have kept it the rest of my life. It was the smoothest and most powerful gt up and go bike I ever owned. It would get totally smooth at 90, no vibration hardly. I loved it. But, as I said, just got sick of chains.
FB

• Premium Member
I traded my 2015 FJ-09 I bought in May in December in on for a 2015 Super Tenere mainly for seat comfort and a driveshaft. just got sick of frigging with a chain all my life, and worrying about a chain ever where I went. But if the FJ-09 just had a chain I would have kept it the rest of my life. It was the smoothest and most powerful gt up and go bike I ever owned. It would get totally smooth at 90, no vibration hardly. I loved it. But, as I said, just got sick of chains. FB
Chains are hardly high maintenance these days, especially with the Tutoro oiler. The only time my chain has been adjusted in 10,000 miles has been at a service or at rear tyre changes. Other people do that for me. 
I loved my Super Tenere and the R1150GS before that. Partly because they had shaft drive but you do pay a penalty in weight terms. Since having a serious and now chronic illness, the weight of my bike is a big factor and a chain moves things at least 30kg in my favour.  

Plus, if you go over 30,000 miles with a shaft drive you will get into some costly or time consuming maintenance as there are various seals that will need replacing. In 60,000 miles the R1150GS's shaft had 2 seal repairs and the bearing adjustment was at the end of it's range, meaning a change before the next MOT. With modern chains, they will last 20-30,000 miles and changing the chain & sprockets takes 30 minutes if you have the right tools. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Wessie,

You are talking BMW rear drives. They are different from the Yamaha rear drives in that they fail and the Yamaha built and designed unit don't. There are no scheduled seal replacements or other maintenance other than fluid changes on the Yamaha units. As for the BMW units...they have stranded many riders on the side of the road, especially the notorious sealed, maintenance free units.

This image is famous in the motorcycle community...

248271178_cb1da74683.jpg
And we shall not discuss the horrendous failure rate of that marque in the IBR every other year.

I too am in the prefer shaft drive camp, there's just something with me and the chains and that is with an automatic oiler.
Going way back chains were horrendous, I escaped them firstly with a Suzuki 1000G and then a Yamaha LJ650 turbo. In the last 9 years I've 'had' to go back to chain driven and did find them to be a lot better than I was used to. Two Thundercat's,the Tracer and over 130k miles still haven't totally converted me. In fact I'm rather peeved with the one I have on the Tracer, it started making awful noises from about 6k miles, I might just be able to nurse it to 20k but suspect it won't get that far.

Thanks y'all. I love the Tenere, but when I remember the lighter weight, handling, moving it around by hand, etc I do miss my FJ-09. If I had it to do over again I would never have traded in. Put myself deeper in debt. I was top heavy in the financing so trading in, both 2015 models, GIVI luggage, etc, I am stuck owing $22,500.00 and my payments jumped from $322 a mo for the FJ09 to $378 a mo for the SuperTen. But as one of you said no biggy, the deal is done and I mis'well enjoy it , which I do. The SupTen is cool too. I can't wait until I get the money up to go on a trip.

I have never owned a shaft drive so I guess I just dont know but chains are not all that hard to deal with. Spray it once in a while. My first bike I did a cross country trip and I knew jack all about bikes. The chain started making noise about 8k miles in and I met some nice Canadians (I know I'm repeating myself) who's eyes bugged out when I told them in that entire ride I had not oiled once.
They helped me hose it down and gave me a small can for the road, enjoyed a bottle of scotch together and then the next day I did another 1000 without spraying it ;)

After that trip I replaced sprockets and chain, took a couple hours.
So, doesnt changing the oil in the shaft drive take a couple hours? Is it more responsive? Whats the awesomeness I'm missing?
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived