The Perfect FJ-09

Obviously most of us love our FJ-09's however there's always room for improvement.  I would love to see Yamaha come out with a version the included shaft drive, cruise control, better seating, improved windscreens and standard luggage and heated grips.  These seem to be the options (aside from the shaft drive) that most people discuss.  To me this would be close to the perfect bike.  Of course the cost would be higher but I know what I've already spent and plan on spending in the future to get my bike the way I want it.  I feel it would still be cheaper if Yamaha took care of peoples wants and needs.  Any thoughts?
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Sounds like it would be a creation of a new model in the Sport Touring Yamaha line up. I think the next close bike to what you described would be the Super Tenere. Base price is a little over $15,000 U.S. And with that bike the luggage bags are not included. I think a good approach for Yamaha would be to offer the FJ09 with an optional package that included the heated grips, luggage bags, better seat, touring windshield, and extra DC plug. These options are currently offered but not as a complete package. Getting a shaft drive on the FJ09 IMHO would be a tall order from Yamaha. Especially with a base price of $10,490. U.S.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Waiting for the 2016 FJR1300 to start showing up at dealers in a couple months. That will most likely be my next bike. The FJ09 is a great bike but
Is a little lacking in some areas for touring but great in others. Hands down
the best bike I've seen for the money, that's why I got one.

I definitely agree with your comparison to the Tenere. The reason I would like to see the FJ-09 modified is because I love the engine, it is a blast to ride. I also agree with you concerning the price, that was a big factor in my getting the bike. I had no idea how much I would love the machine.  The option package is a great idea. Anyone from Yamaha listening?
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Obviously most of us love our FJ-09's however there's always room for improvement.  I would love to see Yamaha come out with a version the included shaft drive, cruise control, better seating, improved windscreens and standard luggage and heated grips.  These seem to be the options (aside from the shaft drive) that most people discuss.  To me this would be close to the perfect bike.  Of course the cost would be higher but I know what I've already spent and plan on spending in the future to get my bike the way I want it.  I feel it would still be cheaper if Yamaha took care of peoples wants and needs.  Any thoughts?
That's kind of like saying "I love my Mazda Miata but I'd like a V8, a backseat, a bigger trunk, etc, etc."  So just buy a Vette.  Same with the FJ-09.  It is perfect just the way it is.  More mod's mean more money.  In any case you just described the FJR 1300.  Trade your FJ-09 for one of those. 

That's kind of like saying "I love my Mazda Miata but I'd like a V8, a backseat, a bigger trunk, etc, etc."  So just buy a Vette.  Same with the FJ-09.  It is perfect just the way it is.  More mod's mean more money.  In any case you just described the FJR 1300.  Trade your FJ-09 for one of those.
Delete the backseat part - Vette's don't have backseats:) 

I understand what the OP is trying to say, but if Yamaha added all of those features from the factory the then the price would be up there with the Super Tenere or BMW GS. 
I do like the idea of an optional "touring package" if you will to add the extra features.
For me though, I love the FJ-09 as it is.  I love that I could by a bike for half the price of a Multi-Strada and significantly cheaper than a BMW or Tiger with sufficient features and plenty of room for customization.  That's part of the fun of owning a bike IMO.  I like to be able to decide which type of accessories I want to add and which ones I don't need.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I paid 9k out the door on my bike and have put $2500 into making it the way I want it. I definitely got some deals on parts, but when I'm done it will be a total of about 13k including suspension, luggage, handlebars, new cables, heated grips, ect, ect....

When I was shopping I did not see any bikes that would be dialed in for this amount. Everyone who buys a bike either likes it stock or puts money into farkling the poop out of it. I would be annoyed if I spent 20K and still had to buy aftermarket parts.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I paid 9k out the door on my bike and have put $2500 into making it the way I want it. I definitely got some deals on parts, but when I'm done it will be a total of about 13k including suspension, luggage, handlebars, new cables, heated grips, ect, ect.... 
When I was shopping I did not see any bikes that would be dialed in for this amount. Everyone who buys a bike either likes it stock or puts money into farkling the poop out of it. I would be annoyed if I spent 20K and still had to buy aftermarket parts.
$9K out the door? That would mean $9k for the bike with freight, set-up, tax & tags included?!

Yes 9k with everything. We don't have sales tax in here.

Well, i forgot tags. That was like 2-300. I dont consider that part of the bike though. Thats to the state for a vehicle tag.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Yes 9k with everything. We don't have sales tax in here. 
Well, i forgot tags. That was like 2-300. I dont consider that part of the bike though. Thats to the state for a vehicle tag.
That is the best way to report price paid: all in, but not including any tax & registration/licensing. You only missed currency type. But that low we all assume $US.  8-)
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived