Passenger back rest options.

Anyone found a simple back rest that can be fitted to the FJ09 without adding a top box or a custom Corbin seat for the passenger?  I've seen them for the FJR,they mount to the luggage rack. Just looking to add something so the misses feels more secure. As of now I don't really need a top box, unless that's the only option. 

Anyone found a simple back rest that can be fitted to the FJ09 without adding a top box or a custom Corbin seat for the passenger?  I've seen them for the FJR,they mount to the luggage rack. Just looking to add something so the misses feels more secure. As of now I don't really need a top box, unless that's the only option. 
If I were to invent a backrest w/o top box, I would invest in two 1/8" x 2 ft  x 1" flat bars, then I would bend them in a vise to an L shape.  Make a pad to mount to the ends sticking up.  I would loosen the rear hand grabs bolts above the tail light and then place these bars under the grab bar's bolt location, with the other ends slightly placed under the seat.  Get wife to sit on the bike and adust location of back rest.  Drill holes, bolt on pad, etc. etc., adjust, adjust.  take apart, paint, put back together.  Work done.  Remember, you don't look at it when riding, but if you what to look at it, do a good job on it.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I've been looking around and on line for something generally close so I can modify or adapt it to the bike. The FJR one looks like an adaptable option.
Still researching, but I'll come up with something, even if it's made from scratch. Possibly a rear rack modded so a backrest can be bolted to it.

• 1 month later...
Yes, just got a promo email from Sargent today. Their backrest doesn't require a rack.

We road tested mine today, about a 3 hour loop through the countryside.
Pillion liked it.
I didn't need to adjust the position. It gave her just enough support that she feels more comfortable.
Backrest was $68 AUD
Rack was $126 AUD

I'll remove it for one up riding, which is most of the time (3 bolts).
Here's another pic at the Bellbird Creek cafe, there were about 20 bikes there when we arrived at 11am:

IMG_20160424_112943_zpshcm5rsgq.jpg

Here's another pic at the Bellbird Creek cafe, there were about 20 bikes there when we arrived at 11am:

IMG_20160424_112943_zpshcm5rsgq.jpg
Sorry that I wasn't one of them, suncoaster, but other things got in the way.   I'll touch base again soon and if this lovely weather holds maybe we can make some other plans to meet @ Bellbird. Best...
[em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 1 year later...
Yeah yeah, I know this is an 'old' thread.. sorry.

I, too, am looking for a passenger back rest.

My first thought was a Givi top case with their backrest pad. Double duty as luggage and a back rest.

However I was chatting with customer support at one of the online retailers, and they didn't recommend it.. They said that since there are only 3 (plastic) mounting points for the top case, it's not safe for a passenger to rely on that as a backrest. Maybe they just didn't want to be liable for safety issues. (Then why does Givi sell a backrest pad for their top case?!?!)

In any case, what are your thoughts on using a top case as the passenger backrest? I know it's not 'ideal'.. Ideal would be mounting a Lay-Z-Boy for the passenger (j/k)

Like most people, I just want a passenger backrest so they feel a little more secure, during acceleration, and something to lean back on a bit if we're on a longer ride.

Thoughts?

(I checked out the "Sargent" backrest... my gosh, that little thing is $350 !!!  I can get a full Givi top case set up for only a bit more than that much!

I installed the Sergeant BR yesterday. It took all of 5 minutes to remove from the box and install. It's very well made, vertically adjustable, and it rotates to the contour of the back. $350 is a lot, but it's a once and done application.

• 2 years later...

Has anything new happened in the back rest department in the past 3 years? Any other options people have tried?

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

I fabricated a custom mount to install a Shad backrest intended for a Honda PCX scooter. The backrest looks like it could be an OEM accessory. The wife says it's very supportive. 

9D196C28-7F12-4468-B2D7-A72A9B4F86D1.jpeg

7F5CA74A-5BE6-4D81-B4AD-BB8F58DDFA03.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

I cut the mount from 3/16" thick steel plate with a jig saw, drilled the holes, welded the nuts on and painted. The nuts don't need to be welded on, I just like to tinker.

33ECACAD-9648-4EE7-AE99-ABA3C108B4F1.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3